So here's what I been doin' all day, see

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Using the same map I always use with the same settings (gain is usually 8 or 9), I did this:

I took all four of my les pauls and documented the current pickup heights, then chucked the ruler across the room.

Follow me so far with this?

Then I lowered the pickups down on all of them as close to China as I could go without the screws fall out of the retainers.

Then, one by one, I raised the bridge pickups until I got what I liked as a best balance between gain, tone, clarity and treble & bass balance.

I went back across the bridge pickups on all 4 guitars and re-checked them so that they were all about the same, tonitalitarily.

And now, all of my les pauls sound better than they did before.

In the end, all the pickups were much lower than I expected and I had better tone.

Therefore I declare, that everyone who does not try this is ghey.

Last edited:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda do this in my set up routine.
Not the lower all the way down part, but set the bridge PU to a nice signal strength, and adjust the neck for an equal-ish volume across the 3-way selections.
Them adjustable screw things on some pickup poles can even balance each string signal. :hmm:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
Using the same map I always use with the same settings (gain is usually 8 or 9), I did this:

I took all four of my les pauls and documented the current pickup heights, then chucked the ruler across the room.

Follow me so far wit this?

Then I lowered the pickups down on all of them as close to China as I could go without the screws fall out of the retainers.

Then, one by one, I raised the bridge pickups until I got what I liked as a best balance between gain, tone, clarity and treble & bass balance.

I went back across the bridge pickups on all 4 guitars and re-checked them so that they were all about the same tonitallitarally.

And now, all of my les paul sound better than they did before.

In the end all the pickups were much lower than I expected and I had better tone.

Therefore I declare, that everyone who does not try this is ghey.
I do the same thing except backwards from that.
and anyone who does not try that is yehg.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I've been doing this exact same thing with my Strat for the past few days. I find too close and the bass get muddy, there seems to be a sweet spot for each pickup that I'll then fine tune to try to even out the volume between all the pickups.

I found specing them wasn't ideal sounding imo. I agree with Vin, try this or you are gheeey.

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been doing this exact same thing with my Strat for the past few days. I find too close and the bass get muddy, there seems to be a sweet spot for each pickup that I'll then fine tune to try to even out the volume between all the pickups.

I found specing them wasn't ideal sounding imo. I agree with Vin, try this or you are gheeey.
GHEEEY !!!

El Gringo

Reaction score
Funny subject as the other day when I was playing my avatar Lester and I am looking at the bridge pickup and thinking it's lower than I would like . Now my tech does all of this and they are all low , like the bridge pickups on all the Lesters do not rise above the pickup ring . Myself I would have them way higher , but then you get into that dreaded buzzing issue .

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have lowered mine if it sounds ghey
I have to make sure it sounds like I want to hear it.. plain an simple, my V needed to be lowered,, but my LP’s sound great to my old ears,, same thing with my Strats ..
Nice conclusion you came up with Vin