>

Snorkler Modded Marshall by David Hopkins

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by NewReligion, Jan 27, 2021.

1. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

That well may get you close if you can smooth out the fizz. It will take some extensive changes to the circuit.

Increasing some of the .022uf caps will get you closer to the BFG version.

I too would remove the cold clipper on the SLO and reduce the filtering. (Sag is needed). Keeping in mind the DLO has a cathode follower.

Take into account the fizz cap.

Keep in mind Bogner used both Blue & Silver additional PCB’s for various mods.

I have yet to see anyone get the tone stack correct for the Snorkler and likely will not as this mod evolved as Reinhold performed but just a few.

You appear to have a good mind for this. Let me know how this works out for you.

I gave you a link that shows some details found no where else.

If you are interested in the BFG Version of the Snorkler You can have the one I’m selling for $2,225. plus shipping. Like I said I was interested in Brian’s method of arriving at the tone. I do know he did some research and hit some key component assembly points. It looks just like & sounds like the one I posted above.

David

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

Bloody good david just bloody good you know jerry has a signature amp model the friedman-jj 100-watt 2 channel handwired here some picture JJ-100-LEFT-1600-x-1200_DS.jpg JJ100-FRONT-1600-x-1200_DS.jpg

NewReligion likes this.
  3. NewReligion

I played 2 of these circuits. I like them a lot. They are closer to Cantrell’s later work. I believe the culmination of the Marsha Mod by Friedman with a Vox style clean channel and custom SAT switch labeled “JBE”.

But The Regular BE100’s I own will get there with the removal of a voltage divider & addition of key assemblies.

Thanks for listening Rudy & posting.

I will add that any DC heaters will be a step in the wrong direction IMO.

David

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  4. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Thanks but I'm not interested in buying amps, I'm more interested in the way they work. I don't copy designs as such, I just try to learn from them. I've made a 2204 and a Hiwatt, and now working on a British SLO100 concept, looking for ideas. If you would p2p wire a SLO100 OD channel, even on a large Hiwatt board you quickly run out of turrets. So if these 4 or 5 gain stages need to be build for a JCM800, surely you need space in the sense of an additional board. Increasing capacitance of coupling caps is indeed something worth trying, IIRC this is what the old Orange amps were all about. I have plenty NOS 27 nF, 33nF, 39nF mustard caps to experiment with. Keeping the low end tight, no fizz on the top. The sag is probably a different story, I will work with Partridge transformers and they might be too good for this amp.

NewReligion likes this.
  5. NewReligion

Well turrets and point to point are two different wiring concepts. I use PCB, Terminal Strips for Turret & real PtP off of sockets & Pots to avoid a coplanar layout which will affect capacitance in creasing unwanted mids IMO for high gain work.

For the sake of conversation Randall Smith of Mesa Boogie “took” Mike Soldano’s SLO preamp & nearly identically replicated it, then connected it to a very different power section. This was the beginning of the pre #500,
    100 watt Mesa Dual Rectifier. Not exactly a well know fact among the everyday user.

You should do well as you wish to do things your way. Good for you as that is how new circuits spawn. (Not Splawn lol)

David

6. StingRay85

Sure. But those are all American style 6L6 amps. I want to find out how they would sound with EL34. Use an ECC808 for V1, and an E80CC as PI.

NewReligion likes this.
  7. NewReligion

Yes but you brought up the SLO. I was rolling with that in mind.

An easy conversion in the bias circuit to bias feed and bad adjustment resistors will properly accommodate EL34’s/6CA7’s, KT77’s or 6550’s & KT 88’s.

Should be pretty cool when you finish.

David

8. NewReligion

Here is my first attempt years ago. I always wanted more performances out of the circuit than what I had heard.

FogDweller and Rudy v like this.
  9. StingRay85

I was referring to the preamp, sorry about that. I use a Sound City Mark 4 power amp as starting point.

NewReligion likes this.
  10. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

NewReligion likes this.
  11. StingRay85

It's funny, these guys build on the work of many that came before them, but are reluctant to share their own concepts. Those are not the kind of people I have a high regard for.

NewReligion likes this.
  12. NewReligion

One would think you already had the existing photographs which are everywhere excluding a couple I have.

Great for reference if you have a question about what is visible.

I understand Ronnie has recently sold the Snorkler. I don’t know but he did comment on my page “damn close”.

I woke thinking I would help a bit more today but now I see tschrma has showed up once again to help out lol.

And you, now having no regard for people like me who are reluctant to share what took me a great deal of time to build my own concept of on this circuit.

I suggest tschrama will get you where you want to be. It appears the video’s have been removed from his page link below.

>>> http://www.sgravenmade.nl/

My best to both of you, David

13. StingRay85

I'm working in science, where the habit is to share your information in publications. So all this secrecy I don't understand, especially because there's no real invention, just a combination of resistor and capacitor values in circuits that were designed by others. But I'm already at the point where I think each amp and set of tubes needs its own tweaking, because you have ECC83 of Mu 90 and Mu 105, and if I want something build "on the edge", this 10% can already change a design or concept. But you shared some info here, I was not really aiming at you, I just don't think it worth to hide stuff here. There are some people here very knowledged on early plexi amps, took them years and years to collect information, I don't see them answering "do your own research" when people seek info. It's just a bit of a childish thing to do.

But probably I'm a bit naive in this, and the modding is also a sort of intellectual property in the sense that it's a way to make money. But if I make something that sounds good, then I would share it, that's all

NewReligion likes this.
  14. NewReligion

You are entitled to your opinion. You asked for a schematic.

I said call Bogner for a schematic. I figured it was only a matter of time before tschrama would show up, stir the pot and have no real answer.

So just ask tschrama for a schematic.

Or, ask Brian at BFG or Mark Cameron or as stated before Bogner and tell them they are childish for not sharing it with you.

A bit presumptuous to come to this thread and ask me for a schematic of something I worked toward for 6 years that accepts a loop and is stable.

tschrama has pooped on my threads before and you are no closer to getting the answers you wanted. They sure are not coming from me now.

You have no idea how many people I have helped out around here.

Best to you, David

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Sustainium likes this.
  15. StingRay85

I teach my children to share, that's all :)

I'm grateful for the Soldano schematic, I think he did the real hard work of taking the 2204 to the next level and high-gain territory. Besides that, it'll probably be lots of trial and error. The ways to increase bass, increase treble or remove ice pick highs were already known before Marshall even made his first amp. And even Soldano confessed that they swapped the V1 tubes until the amp sounded good. So I changed my mind already, I don't really need a schematic to build my amp, it'll be a trial and error thing, but I'm just interested in seeing where its different from the "benchmark" 2204 and SLO100.

And I think discussions remained respectful; luckily we're not discussing whether a modeller amp sounds just as good or not :pops:

NewReligion likes this.
  16. NewReligion

Agreed.

my goal was to take the snorkeler to which I own a one off Cameron Cantrell (Snorkler), and make it a little more stable then darken it and add a fifth gain stage to it.

When I speak of stabilizing the circuit I am referring to making it stable enough to support an effects loop and removed all parasitic oscillation. The other models that is to say BFG and Cameron will oscillate with the gain past six.

Pleased to meet you. Don’t hesitate to ask for help in other areas as most people here will tell you I’m not only capable but very willing.

David:dude:

Here is where I ended up.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  17. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

Randall Smith had the first cascaded preamp & master volume in the 1960's. And Mike Soldano's early SLO designs resemble more Mesa MK series amps than Marshall.
    All amps come from the same RCA and other R/C circuits 100+ years ago.
    Same with Aviation we went from the Wright Bros to Stealth.
    Everybody borrows from everybody yourself included.

NewReligion likes this.
  18. NewReligion

Let’s not forget AT&T and Western Electric.

https://telecomfit.com/2018/10/30/did-att-invent-the-guitar-amplifier/

H
    owever Mike Soldano and Dave Friedman confirm that Randall Smith took the SLO circuit and applied it to a different power stage to form the DUAL Rec. with just a couple changes.

I rework the entire preamp, NFB & some of the power amp over 9-15 hours for my modifications.

David

JacksonCharvelAddict and JP2036 like this.
  19. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

Ive heard that arguement for years but all "Rectifiers" are hardly the same.
    As with all Marshalls and so on.
    You can't really say the JCM 2000 DSL-100 came from the Fender Bassman ect.
    Im not really impressed with the SLO 3.0 but its cool anyway.

20. NewReligion

Agreed. I found all SLO’s stiff and fizzy. The Dual Rec’s still need a SD-1 in front IMO. I had 2 of the pre 500’s one of which literally caught fire in the early 90’s. Hence why I build what I build.

David

JP2036 likes this.