Small details - rig upgrade delayed - ref small haze thread

obkj

Reaction score
Question: Any benefit to replacing the "jack/port whatever" and the internal to the cabinet wire from the jack/port/whatever to the speaker inside my cabinets?

---- Background

So many years ago I started upgrading/replacing my rig .... and many years ago Marshall had an entry level rig that was a stack .... worthy enough in its own right but it was a bit of a scandal ---- was this really Marshall? Budget and time and since playing music was really just a hobby after all and most all my gear well lets say grew legs and became dust in my wind...... I bought a new guitar.... my Gibson semi hollow and well one of those entry level Marshall stacks....

Thought long and hard about the migration path when buying and then when following the prime path for the rig planned and implemented the following... Replace the head (bought a small haze) and keep the speaker cabinets but replace the speakers within them. (at least as the first and maybe final step)

For me it allowed separation of the speakers when wanted and because the two speakers were the same height could place a new head on top of the two cabinets side by side..... So what speakers to put in?

Ultimately, a few years back, I decided not two of the same but the best I could find/afford at that time that would allow me to augment the richness of the tube amp I finally decoded to buy --- so bought very different brands/specs etc..... One might of been Celestial and one might have been ??? Well while I love the tones and the flexibility both afford, I can't remember for sure the brands and/or either model number....nicknames or ..... Sigh used to be able to do such... and it is a bit tough for me to open cabinets anymore.....

However, I do recall when I replaced the speakers within the entry level Marshall stack cabinets I did not replace the jack in each cabinet nor the internal wire(s?) connecting the cabinet jack to the speaker.

After the head came out of the shop, today, the rig on first impression played well, but have some more to test. Sigh - had been hoping bench charge would include the two cabinets of the rig and it would have been a small upcharge suggestion/upgrade or just done from the shop for bench charge.... Shop wanted 3 bench charges 1 for head and 1 for each cabinet - nothing but speaker no additional amplification, filtering etc within the cabs - just the two basic speakers for the head - 3 benches? Don't know am certainly out of touch on shops and bench charges...... been more than 20 yrs in a repair/tune up situation at a shop.

So, anyway, the jack and wire.... ? Worth considering doing in the lightweight OSB Marshall cabinets? Other ideas? Still relearning/adjusting the settings on the rig but was pretty pleased today when practicing. Physically it would be a bit tough for me to do myself (was nice to see fingers can still move a bit - wish the legs and back etc.. - basic on/off foot-switch ok too ..... Yea!) . Depending on how the jack installed in the back wall of the cabinet it could be very simple... sigh I should be able to recall - just remove the back, loosen/remove the nut and therefore the jack, put in new one and replace the wire....

Is there more bang for the buck replacing connection from guitar/instrument/mic to the head? Like I said ... small details.... well perhaps small ---- total replacement of the rig seems unneeded at the moment which would be large..... Your thoughts appreciated!

oliver

P.S. am sure I could find many sort of posts, videos, articles on the internet but am hoping for a more direct and solid opinions....

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question: Any benefit to replacing the "jack/port whatever" and the internal to the cabinet wire from the jack/port/whatever to the speaker inside my cabinets?

---- Background

So many years ago I started upgrading/replacing my rig .... and many years ago Marshall had an entry level rig that was a stack .... worthy enough in its own right but it was a bit of a scandal ---- was this really Marshall? Budget and time and since playing music was really just a hobby after all and most all my gear well lets say grew legs and became dust in my wind...... I bought a new guitar.... my Gibson semi hollow and well one of those entry level Marshall stacks....

Thought long and hard about the migration path when buying and then when following the prime path for the rig planned and implemented the following... Replace the head (bought a small haze) and keep the speaker cabinets but replace the speakers within them. (at least as the first and maybe final step)

For me it allowed separation of the speakers when wanted and because the two speakers were the same height could place a new head on top of the two cabinets side by side..... So what speakers to put in?

Ultimately, a few years back, I decided not two of the same but the best I could find/afford at that time that would allow me to augment the richness of the tube amp I finally decoded to buy --- so bought very different brands/specs etc..... One might of been Celestial and one might have been ??? Well while I love the tones and the flexibility both afford, I can't remember for sure the brands and/or either model number....nicknames or ..... Sigh used to be able to do such... and it is a bit tough for me to open cabinets anymore.....

However, I do recall when I replaced the speakers within the entry level Marshall stack cabinets I did not replace the jack in each cabinet nor the internal wire(s?) connecting the cabinet jack to the speaker.

After the head came out of the shop, today, the rig on first impression played well, but have some more to test. Sigh - had been hoping bench charge would include the two cabinets of the rig and it would have been a small upcharge suggestion/upgrade or just done from the shop for bench charge.... Shop wanted 3 bench charges 1 for head and 1 for each cabinet - nothing but speaker no additional amplification, filtering etc within the cabs - just the two basic speakers for the head - 3 benches? Don't know am certainly out of touch on shops and bench charges...... been more than 20 yrs in a repair/tune up situation at a shop.

So, anyway, the jack and wire.... ? Worth considering doing in the lightweight OSB Marshall cabinets? Other ideas? Still relearning/adjusting the settings on the rig but was pretty pleased today when practicing. Physically it would be a bit tough for me to do myself (was nice to see fingers can still move a bit - wish the legs and back etc.. - basic on/off foot-switch ok too ..... Yea!) . Depending on how the jack installed in the back wall of the cabinet it could be very simple... sigh I should be able to recall - just remove the back, loosen/remove the nut and therefore the jack, put in new one and replace the wire....

Is there more bang for the buck replacing connection from guitar/instrument/mic to the head? Like I said ... small details.... well perhaps small ---- total replacement of the rig seems unneeded at the moment which would be large..... Your thoughts appreciated!

oliver

P.S. am sure I could find many sort of posts, videos, articles on the internet but am hoping for a more direct and solid opinions....
I think you're asking if there's any benefit to replacing the cab jack & speaker wiring?
If they are working, new wires and jack probably won't make a difference.
At first, I was assuming you had the Haze 1x12 cabs, but it sounds like they are something else.
Are you talking about 1x10 micro stack cabs?
Unless you want to change speakers, I'd leave them alone.

As far as " replacing connection from guitar/instrument/mic to the head?" - are you talking about cables or pedals?
I've found that my Haze15 does not like front end pedals with the built-in effects, it's one or the other, and I just plain love the built-ins.

Last edited:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not intirely sure what you're trying to say here, or what the exact problem is.

If they're the original Haze cabs I think you messed up replacing the speakers. Imo The original Marquee speakers in the Haze cabs mate very well to the Haze 15 head. I tried several different speakers here, and went back with the originals.

I clean boost my Haze with a TS9, tightens it up and really makes a difference. Try that and see what that does for you.

The little Haze 15 is kind of a forgotten little gem I think, and a really cool looking stack. Effects are very usable, but I still long for a loop for my favorite chorus.

While made in india, and definitely not the top tier, I don't feel they are entry level either.

obkj

Reaction score
Yes have replaced already the speakers inside the micro stack cabinets... but when I did it, didn't change the cabinet jack or speaker wire within..... Probably should open the cabinets to refresh what I put in the micro stack cabinets, sigh (or dig in the files for the receipts- Ugh!).

There were two major streams of speakers at the time..... Bought the very top of the line of both that fit the standard opening of the micro stack, 6"?

So Fitz288 is confirming that my then assessment is still true - probably not worth changing the cabinet jack or the inside wire.

obkj

Reaction score
oh that would top of the line mid range speakers.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes have replaced already the speakers inside the micro stack cabinets... but when I did it, didn't change the cabinet jack or speaker wire within..... Probably should open the cabinets to refresh what I put in the micro stack cabinets, sigh (or dig in the files for the receipts- Ugh!).

There were two major streams of speakers at the time..... Bought the very top of the line of both that fit the standard opening of the micro stack, 6"?

So Fitz288 is confirming that my then assessment is still true - probably not worth changing the cabinet jack or the inside wire.
If you're not having problems, new speaker jacks and cabinet wires are not going to improve anything.
The micro stack cabs are 10" (I have a bit of a collection... :rolleyes:), and just about anything name brand is an improvement to the stock speakers.
oh that would top of the line mid range speakers.
Sorry, but your descriptions are vague.
Are you talking about guitar (instrument) speakers, or did you replace them with some sort of mid-range (frequency response) stereo speaker?

obkj

Reaction score
Well ok pretty sure put in 10" Celestial top of line midrange.... Having trouble remembering the other speaker manufacturer.... better for fuzzy swampy things but top name brand....

Latest posts