>

SL-X replacement PCB

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by 961le, Feb 20, 2021.

1. 961le

961le Active Member

I’ll try to do something. I’m not very media savvy. I may document the board build . I try to post things I think someone would be interested in. There were times where I thought I would let the thread die thinking it was boring to people or not interesting . Then someone would post something and I would continue. I’ll see how it goes going forward. I’ll definitely post the board pics. Even if it doesn’t work. So far I’m out 40 plus hours and about 40 bucks. I guess the components will add 100 or so to the total. It’s been a learning experience for sure. I’ll have replacement parts on the ready should it prove a bust:) always a silver lining

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Yamariv and Kelia like this.
  2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Nice work....but why not just go with a point to point build on a turret board instead?

3. 961le

961le Active Member

I could have. I did put part of it in my metro kit.also used traditional heater wiring which was no more noisy than before. Worked very well but I changed the circuit trying other things. Wanted to learn how it’s done for one. The main reason is I wanted it as close to stock as possible. I imagine the opamps would be a little tricky handwired. The board is as close to the original as I could get. I changed to more turrets on the board than original and the resistors I changed the footprint to 1/2 watt. The slx is a cool amp. It’s like a 2203-2204 but you get more rotation of the sensitivity pot. People that love those circuits should love it. I use mine like that. Rhoads,JEL, old Def Leppard. All in there. No boost pedal required. Why marshall don’t change the channel switching and effects loop and remake the amp I’ll never know. I think they nailed it. Now modern distorted sounds not so good. But if you are like me and stuck on repeat from the 70s and 80s it’s perfect.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  4. 961le

961le Active Member

All parts are ordered.hopefully have everything by weekend and start assembling the board for transplant. I have to land a small piece of 16 or 20ga galv metal for the bracket. Think i have the rivets already. Crash or land time boys

Yamariv and Kelia like this.
  5. 961le

961le Active Member

It appears the holdup on the shipping was one of the boards had a defect which had added 1-2 days to shipping time as they have to remake it. Maybe I’ll get a bonus board or two.Possibly still be here by weekend if it ships tomorrow. Mouser hasn’t shipped as of yet. Still possible for weekend but the window is closing.

Yamariv likes this.
  6. 961le

961le Active Member

Parts starting to trickle in. Boards shipped today

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Yamariv and Dogs of Doom like this.
  7. 961le

961le Active Member

7529A11E-1DE2-4A3F-B34F-E1ACC94BB060.jpeg Bracket prior to drilling for pcb and pots

8. 961le

961le Active Member

mouser came through. Only thing wrong is the leds have a clear case instead of red. Oh well itll stand out. Just need a board to solder to. Its actually in the states headed this way. Hoping for tomorrow

9. Matthews Guitars

It's too late now, and it's just me saying it, but if I were to need to replace an SL-X PC board, I'd just gut the thing and do a proper point to point wired circuit in it instead.

10. 961le

961le Active Member

But then you wouldn’t have learned something new. Who knows how that can come in handy. I’ve had much more enjoyment doing this project than anything else that I’ve done. I can quit posting I suppose and wait on yours

11. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

I have been eagerly and enjoyably following this thread. :coffee: It will be very interesting indeed to see the quality and accuracy of the finished board. As a guy who wants to build at least a few more amps, I can definitely see the benefit of being able to produce an accurate enough file to have board printed to specification, for the kinds of prices mentioned by the OP, @961le ! While I don't have and am not skilled in the software that he's using, I may well want to pay him a few $$$ to do some for me?
    Patiently Anxious,
    Gene

Yamariv likes this.
  12. Matthews Guitars

I've enjoyed it, too. It's a cool project any way you look at it, and the end result is likely to be of higher quality than what Marshall originally stuffed into that chassis. There's really no doubt about that. Marshall never builds in more quality than they HAVE to.

13. Brett336

Brett336 Member

I have been following this too with much respect for the enthusiasm and ambition on the part of the OP. I have worked in the product development engineering space for consumer electronics most of my life. I have never seen a product get finished without a couple board spins. I know that this it copying and improving Marshall's final spin, but I am curious to see if the improvements did not upset something else that was already marginal in Marshall's final output. Very interesting indeed and like I said, you have my respect for being able to reverse engineer their design.

Yamariv likes this.
  14. 961le

961le Active Member

and there is already a need for rev.2 . as a footprint that i chose for two capacitors doesn't match the lead spacing. i was more concerned about real estate in that area than i needed to be when i first began this and worked around a cap size that doesn't exist with the lead spacing chosen. easy work around though (only 2mm difference). if i can live with it. there are many things that have to be considered when doing this work. this is just what i know of right now. when board is in hand i will know the tale. the good part is that if i have to start over, making a change to my existing files is no sweat and ill just send it in and start the wait over for board manufacture.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  15. 961le

961le Active Member

Board won’t get here until Tuesday or wednesday. Funny, it can go 1/2 around the globe in 12 hrs yet cant cross two state lines in 3 days. Battery failing on my drill so this will be a Monday lunch project at the drill press. The marks are made just the drill press needed to finish these holes out. 58E81B89-D878-4835-8309-32F26DAD5FD4.jpeg

16. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

probably held up in customs.

it's a bureaucracy, so expect slow walking delays, every time...

17. 961le

961le Active Member

Got lucky in customs ,just a few hours. Sat in Ohio 12 hrs before it ever moved. I figure after Monday they will hand it off to the rain or shine post office for further nonsense. I was able to finish my drilling with the last battery charge. Still going to the press to dress the holes up a bit. After the board is in I can measure for the rivet holes and the three holes for the chassis screws and then work the board. If i smoke it I imagine I’ll be checking myself in to the local nervous hospital for evaluation.

18. Dogs of Doom

everything I ever get, coming into LAX (customs) spends about a week.

Whenever you question them about it, they have no answers. It's never because they are overloaded, it's always some clerical error, or they misplaced it, or something, but they make you run in circles, just to find out, that there was no reason, just excuses, then they mysteriously ship it right out...

(after 3 days on the phone)

19. 961le

961le Active Member

Nothing gets better but worse as the govt feeds off of the people. If the people would realize it is they that have the power some of this unneeded chaff could be done away with. This is another reason to tamper with amps. There is no way to be hit with unwanted ads or fed the daily propaganda from whomever. Crank em up, turn them off and enjoy life as far and as long as our wick stays lit :)

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  20. Dogs of Doom

well, I hope you get it in a timely manner...