>

SL-X replacement PCB

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by 961le, Feb 20, 2021.

1. 961le

961le Active Member

After spending the last few weeks playing the Friedman circuit ,I pulled out the slx to run some juice through it. Before I knew it I put in a Blackburn Mullard and a hot Chinese tube and dialed it in. 3 hrs later I wondered why I ever strayed. For the way and style I play a single channel amp is perfect and two masters to boot. The louder you spool it up the better it sounds. It has the burned trace underneath br3 that I have repaired successfully. I love this amp . I always come back to it in the end. I wish I could have a PCB board made and make it like new.
    Anyone know of a company that makes small quantities of boards at a time? View attachment 85861

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

There are several companies that make prototype boards in small quantities. I’ve been using Aisler for my stomp box PCBs. Also, there’s a website called https://pcbshopper.com/ that allows you to put in the size and specs of your board and get price estimates from a couple dozen fabricators.

The only problem is that you’ll need to have the PCB drawn up in some kind of PCB design software, and use the program to generate gerber files to send to the fabrication house.

3. 961le

961le Active Member

Thx. Any idea who can be paid to do that aspect of the process? The metal mounting brackets I can handle.

4. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Grainger amps sells a PCB for the 2204

5. FleshOnGear

I don’t know off the top of my head. Google “pcb cloning” and do a little research. I just did a quick search. Got a lot of hits, but I didn’t dig very deeply yet. It seems like there are a lot of Chinese companies doing this. I would feel better about giving the pcb of my amp to somebody in the US or Europe.

6. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member Double Platinum Supporting Member

Sounds like a money pit to me, you could buy another JCM900 cheaper.

Hamer95USA, scozz, Trelwheen and 4 others like this.
  7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Does Nik make a 900 clone? Or anyone for that matter? Maybe you could get a point to point unit made up, then you have it forever because it can be fixed easy if it goes down. I would call places like Ceriatone and ask if they have something like it or close and could tweak it into a std. 900. Nik would be my go to guy but there must be plenty of others out there doing the same thing. Somebody must make a copy of the 900 to start with, although it was never really that sort after. If you can find the closest circuit to it you might be able to replicate one.

8. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Its an slx. Probably not the simplest pcb to do...like the st-1. If you repaired the traces under br3, replaced it, and c8, solved the oveheating issue of that part and the amp works as it should I would not even head down that road. Every sl-x I have seen has this issue..as fucked up as it is it seems it is normal for that amp.

I repaired mine, and had to hardwire the traces under br3 as they were roasted. Worked great. Sounded great. Had solid heater voltage, and that rectifier didn't even get slightly warm after I was done with it. That area will never be a problem again in this amp. I see No need to even consider changing the board.

Now if it was royalty smoked beyond repair yes..other wise I would let a proper repair go. A hack job repair I would make sure it was proper. A proper repair will not fail in the same manner again.

If you can get a pcb made you still have to populate it with components. What do you do unsolder and reuse things?..or replace with new?..replace with new would be my choice.

You could do it, but it'll cost. My opinion is it isn't neccessary with a proper repair..just my 7.5 cents.:D

Hamer95USA and tallcoolone like this.
  9. 961le

961le Active Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  10. 961le

961le Active Member

Tell me you wouldn’t buy a board if available. Made more robust than the original. Mine works fine but having that trace Underneath hanging like a 2000 chad is not very assuring.

11. Gunner64

That's just it, there isn't any available like the populated dsl boards. It will be a custom order and probably fairly costly for 1 board.

And for me it all goes back to what I said about a proper repair. If there's a trace hanging like a 2000 chad, I would say that isn't a proper repair. Like I said if repaired properly I would not see the need to have a board made to address the br3 issue.

If you have a trace hanging that cant be repaired properly buy hardwiring then your board is farther gone then any sl-x I have seen, and in that case it may be your only option.

Now if there were a factory drop in replacement pcb that would be a different, and more cost efficient option of course, but there are not any that I know of.

I have been there done that with a 2100 sl-x, mine was just an easy pad to pad hard wire of br3, and I mounted a larger square bridge with long legs up off the pcb by about a 3/4 of an inch. I have seen some guys mount it off the pcb on a heat sink as well.

Just my opinion as it pertains to the amps I have worked on, your results or desires my be different. And I can't see the underside of your pcb in your pics to see the extent of the damage, so it's hard to assess your need here.

Good luck whatever you do. The slx working proper are GREAT AMPS.

tallcoolone likes this.
  12. 961le

961le Active Member

One trace that goes to the legs of br3 was lifted from the board. The others were intact. The support for the replaced br3 is provided by the 3 good ones. The lifted trace still had the pad attached to it and I put the leg right through it and soldered it. The previous Owner/repair put the same 1amp bridge in there. I replaced it and the capacitor upon receiving it. I went to 2 amps. You can’t tell from the pic but it is elevated off of the board. I’ve replaced the bias caps recently and would say the boards are rather delicate. There are components I would like to change but don’t want to risk damage. Another reason for my inquiry.

13. Gunner64

Yes they are delicate. Recent Marshall Pcbs in general all seem to be, one needs to be careful with the heat from the iron that's for sure. If you think the 900 pcbs are fun wait until you get into the more recent amps..with the environmentally "friendly" solders..lol. delicate pcbs and solder that needs more heat to melt are bad combinations.

Delicate pcbs lead me to the old phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"..as it applies to unnecessary soldering.

Here's a what I put in my sl-x. And you only had 1 trace damaged?..shit yours is pristine compared to most.:)

Attached Files:

14. 961le

961le Active Member

Yeah maybe ,On mine’s condition but I was proactive. I know what lies beneath. And that sir is the problem:). If I can get it made I’ll do it. If anyone else wants a board the more the merrier.

IF I can find someone to do it

15. coolidge56

And that's if you don't make a 'damn it' error on the board and get it right on the first try.

Gunner64 likes this.
  16. coolidge56

A proper trace repair will be WAY cheaper.

MonstersOfTheMidway and Gunner64 like this.
  17. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Having spent my entire working career in electronics, unless your just OCD about appearance, I wouldn't worry about it. My SL-X also had some damaged traces from a burnt BR3. I just cleaned up that area of the board, cut away the damaged traces, and repaired the missing sections with solid wire. Does it look like new, no, but functionally, it will last as long as the rest of the amp. Having a "quality" clone of the board made could be pricey. Having a board made from a supplier of little history could also result in a lesser quality board (overall) than your current board. Just my thoughts, your money, your amp.

18. Gunner64

That's my feeling, and experience as well. The trace made of solid wire may not look like the rest of the traces, but it probably is the most robust trace on that board now. Mine never made me give it a second thought on its worthiness.

19. 961le

961le Active Member

I’ve decided to try to have it made myself. I’m working the schematic now and ran into an issue with a discontinued part so I’m figuring this out. So far.... 870A4A5A-9B24-406A-B780-550CE5F30415.jpeg

20. FleshOnGear

I wish you luck, man. What program are you using?