>

SkyNet goes LIVE.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by ricksdisconnected, Jun 16, 2021.

1. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

2. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Hi. I'm Ace Frehley. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Yay. Another "Jetsons" win for Hollywood. I grow weary of all this peeping Tom tech bs constantly creeping around my door. I'm a 20+ year computer tech, and even I can't keep up with privacy and security trends anymore. It's completely impossible to obtain any sense of anonymity.

StrummerJoe, Frodebro, jmp45 and 4 others like this.
  3. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Elucidation Sufferer Gold Supporting Member

Like Vin, I'm in tech, though 30+ years. I absolutely refuse to have anything in my house that listens, no Alexa, no Google Assistant, etc. I have Sonos speakers in my house, but I intentionally bought the model that has no kind of assistant capability, as in no hardware in them to make it possible, ever. I do not have a Ring doorbell or similar. I do have cameras, but they are pretty low-tech, and somewhat isolated.

I have iOS devices, but "Hey Siri" has never, ever been turned on.

I do not agree with what some say, "If I'm doing nothing wrong, I have nothing to hide." My privacy is exactly that. My life is private, and I don't want to give anyone the chance to compromise it, regardless of their intent.

4. Vinsanitizer

Funny you mention the quote, which I was just working on to paste here. (By the way, I'm sure you're aware that any smartphone is still capable of listening, regardless of settings, and as far as I know, short of pulling the battery which you conveniently cannot easily do. Your smart TV is listening as well. Even now we've reached the point where it is literally impossible for anyone to live off the grid indefinitely.)

About 5:55 or so:

"... we have an entity that can listen to most of America; every house with an Alexa Echo, and your safety in this is based simply on trust; trust that [insert Internet brand X] won't screw you; trust that [they] won't change the software to do something else; trust that those voice recorders will be private. That's a hell of a lot of trust to give.

A couple of decades ago the idea that we would put listening devices in every home, and cameras, like in [the movie] "1984" would be unthinkable. Yet, this generation of Big Tech executives have succeeded in making this issue go away. No one cares anymore, and it is shocking how a 180-degree change in attitudes was achieved. Privacy was snuffed and no one complained.
    "

I recall the fits everyone threw back when they found out that the iPhone (version "whatever") contained hidden geographical maps of all the places you were going via Location Services (GPS). There was a back-door way to access that map, and I saw my whole entire trips to NJ and NC on mine. Soon after it was reported, Apple supposedly came out with an "update" that fixed or eradicated the whole thing, and that's when people started willfully giving up their right to privacy with the (now dated) arguments: "if you're not doing anything wrong you shouldn't have anything to worry about", and "if you have something to hide then you probably shouldn't be doing it".

By the way, the counter-argument is that the right to privacy is primarily for protection against the misinterpretations of others, along with the more obvious reasons, not that we should need to even justify our rights in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  5. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Depends on your definition. You can easily surf the Internet and 'do your thing' in complete anonymity. Special VPN services (though, can they really be trusted?), Tor and so on can do this, but all this is fluff if your device and/or to a degree your network is already compromised. Commercial operating systems and some network equipment will indeed "share" (no, let's not use the word steal here) all the info that the publisher wants. So, you're basically down to open source without potentially malicious binary blobs, etc. In the case of a computer you've got your Linux, BSD and a handful of more obscure options. Fortunately, the PC architecture doesn't allow components to simply communicate to the outside world without going through the operating system. Secure your PC/laptop? Yes, doable.

Any commercial phone is different - some (arguably, the juicy) bits of malicious code are in the firmware of the controller chips. The guy in the video sells de-Googled phones - great, I can install Linux on my Android device, too - but it solves nothing, and you will never get your hands on the firmware source code as its completely proprietary. One might identify a 'problem', let's say, but you are hardly able to rectify it. You either need to downgrade to a proverbial Nokia 3310 or comparable - but the carriers will reject those devices or simply make them obsolete by upgrades to the infrastructure they have to connect to. Mobile phones? No, forget it.

Next step, the network. Presuming that each and every connection made to and from your 'gear' is sufficiently encrypted there is little to gain there. This is also made with the assumption that your gear is at this point no longer malicious (no Echo, no Nest, etc, etc, etc). This means drastic measures such as enforcing DNS over TLS, and even then target IPs and payload sizes can be obtained by observing the traffic. My approach is to run my own perimeter built from scratch, but then there's the ISP after all. Your internal network can be secure and private, but the Internet does not work like that. You can obfuscate your (true) identity and achieve a level of privacy provided you trust your remote endpoint (website, web service, some other guy's network, etc), but it's not practical at large scale. If you have dodgy gear (let's say a Smart TV or a wifi controlled air conditioning system), then your only option is to block outbound traffic to it. No UPnP, no (external) DNS, no access to anything outside your network. The Internet is after all a public highway. You can see another guy's number plate, you can see what car he's driving - you can't necessarily see his marital status or date of birth.

When you leave your front door, you waive your privacy. Your neighbor can see you, and so can their Ring doorbell, etc. When you bring a mobile phone in your home, you've effectively compromised your perimeter. I'm obliged to carry a phone with me (yup, IT job here, too), so have the odd poke at confusing it and I don't consider any moment 'private' when I have it on me.

DaDoc likes this.
  6. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

My wife let the Dish network guys put an Alexa in..It's now unplugged and in storage!

I'm SOOO damned sick of these idiots who say "If I'm doing nothing wrong, I have nothing to hide." freakin' sheeple, being led to the slaughter..:erk:

Anyone who will willingly let themselves be monitored 24/7 have already given up their freedoms IMO.

7. Vinsanitizer

VPN's are not entirely private... actually, I don't mean to insult you, but you made a lot of assumptions that are misguided.

Maggot Brain and Trident like this.
  8. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Elucidation Sufferer Gold Supporting Member

I'm not going to become the Unabomber. But I will fight it within reason of living in today's society.

Frodebro and DaDoc like this.
  9. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

That's why I like to put my smartphone directly in front of my Marshall and crank it up to 10, then let it feedback for hours on end..:naughty:

Frodebro, PelliX and Vinsanitizer like this.
  10. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

I'm old school, I don't need anything like that.. humanity came this far without them gadgets and I'm sure it can do just fine without them.

11. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

None taken (insult). :) I don't rely on a 3rd party VPN service as I have no idea what company X providing solution Y is or could be doing with the data/payload entrusted to them. From a practical perspective, Tor can obfuscate your origin when accessing a service. If you're relying on compromised entry and exit nodes, sure, there goes some of that. I'm well aware of the timing based tracing through Tor that has actually led to individual beings prosecuted.
    Care to share which of my assumptions are misguided?

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  12. ricksdisconnected

by design?

13. ricksdisconnected

dont you just hate that?
    well if im doing nothing wrong then there is no reason to spy.

Trident, junk notes and PelliX like this.
  14. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Your privacy is only private to amazon. IOW Your privacy is Jeff Bozos private property.. ..but you get to keep the phone - since you did paid for it..

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  15. Vinsanitizer

I'd rather stay out of any techno back-and-forth, probably mostly because I'm kind of burned out on tech lately. The only reason I responded to your post was b/c in some way I feel responsible that, in saying nothing, I might be deemed by someone as promoting views I may not be able to readily agree with or substantiate. I do understand where you're coming from though, and appreciate that you commented rather than saying nothing. I hope more people share their thoughts on this. I'll be rather surprised if I wake up tomorrow to find that this thread isn't still at the top. It's important, because it's at the heart of everything we do today.

16. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Welp! My “Hillbilly Ass” has no mo cell phone, no Alexa, Ringy Ding Dings, and No SIRI or Hey Googler..

Just wired cameras around the palace and a nice “Barrett and SIG” Enter @ own risky:cheers:

And yes The Hillbilly has interwebs but had a tech friend that does IT security, set up and monitors my home network..I know I am still @ risk for an attack but hopefully less likely..

Also have sign in winder: House guarded with a “PITTBULL W/AIDS:rofl:

17. Vinsanitizer

I forget what the actual label is for it - it's called something - but that kind of stuff is a psychology tactic designed to put people in the position of feeling the need to defend themselves, when in fact, no defense or justification is required. I find it both clever and stupid at the same time. Whenever you hear words ending with "ist" and "ism", you can be sure this tactic is being used, whether it's directed at a group or a single person.

Arc Anjil, Frodebro and Trident like this.
  18. ricksdisconnected

you got no mo sell phone Trident?

Trident likes this.
  19. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Nope…Been about a year and a half now…..And actually it has been quite nice..Only thing that would suck is if SUV or car quit on way to work..But like old days….Get out n “HOOOF IT” I keep my Fuji in the back of whatever vehicle I am in just in case…

MarshallDog likes this.
  20. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

That's cool, no problem. Terms like 'VPN' are used in pretty ambiguous ways today, too. I'll certainly admit that I over simplified some points there for brevity's sake, and I think I can feel where you're coming from, too. I guess I had the some of the same sentiment when I watched the video. I'd be surprised if this is still at the top though by tomorrow afternoon, let's say - just because it's so far off topic (well, off forum, but that's not a term, I believe).

Time for some (more) beer, this heat is hard on us Brits. :)

Vinsanitizer likes this.