Simple but decent looper

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by PelliX, Oct 17, 2021.

1. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a decent loop pedal (or device with foot control). I'm not looking for something multi-functional, really, I have all other FX I believe I need. 'Do one thing and do it well' is what I want. Any recommendations? Is there really that much quality difference between the cheap and the expensive ones? I'm not looking for sublime sound for recording, I just want an easy loop for messing around.

What would people recommend?

DreamerDeceiver likes this.
  2. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

3. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Looks decent, yeah. I can get a Boss Loop Station for almost the same price, though. Both have some fluff like the USB that I don't need, but I don't necessarily mind that, either. Heck, I don't even need stereo. Is sound quality actually a serious factor with these things nowadays? I mean, the storage and processing power now is so incredibly cheap that I would almost expect the cheap models to sound the same, or am I wrong?

4. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I have a couple dittos and favor the 2 button loopers, easier to manage. I have both the ditto x2 and eh720 knocked it off the board. Fade on the 720 is nice where you can set the fade time rather than a hard stop.

5. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It is great but there is also this version :)

https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DD4

6. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Well, I got a good deal on a second hand (sorry, "pre-owned") Boss Loop Station RC-3. The USB interface actually looks usable - no proprietary stuff, just mass storage. Not that I need it, but cool. I looked at the RC-1, but the RC-3 was the same price. I looked at the RC-5, but it didn't seem much better for my purposes, so this should be fine. My first Boss pedal, actually, after all these years. Good job, too, cause the flightcases are rather full.

7. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

Mitchell Pearrow, Eric'45 and PelliX like this.
  8. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I saw those, too, funnily enough. Were a little more expensive and whole lot larger. I chose to skip them.

9. Eric'45

Eric'45 Well-Known Member

I also have the tiny 1-Knob- Ditto from tc electronics. It definitely does the Job.
    The only Problem I always had that most of my Gain comes straight from the Amp- I practically never use OD Pedals.
    Because of that the Loop is always distorted, and even two Guitars into 1 overdriven Amp becomes a mess everytime.
    I just use it for clean stuff:shrug:

10. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Some things are really so simple/non-critical that I don't insist on quality, but I guess you can't really go (far) wrong with Boss on this stuff. I like the idea of having multiple tracks - something I didn't really consider before. I've always been 'DAW oriented' when it comes to that stuff, but I don't feel like dragging a PC along for some jamming or repetition stuff. This way I can be my own rhythm guitarist and work with just a drummer to a degree.

I bet the TCE's provide the same sound quality, though. Never tried their pedals, but their rackmount gear was decent.

11. ricksdisconnected

yeah there are by far better loopers out there than Boss imo. i dont have much experience in that field but
    from demo's..... others seem to be much smaller and have more record/playback times.

DreamerDeceiver, tce63 and PelliX like this.
  12. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Can you run the looper in an FX loop?
    That way the loop doesn't get reprocessed by the preamp.

DreamerDeceiver, tce63, GregM and 2 others like this.
  13. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

This does about 3 hours, they quote with a max of 99 'samples'. Surely, there will be some with more, but that's way more than I need honestly. Being able to import/export the ones I need via USB is cute gimmick that I probably won't use - though nice to have, I guess. As for size, well... still need to do the layout for the pedal flightcase, and I already ensured room for a Boss standard pedal or similar.

Depends on your FX loop, but technically - sure. Check the pedal specs for the impedance and signal levels. :)

14. ricksdisconnected

3hrs? wow. and i thought 5-10 minutes was crazy good lol.

15. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Yup, hehe, I was still working in the 'minutes range' from when that was the standard. This surprised me, but again, flash memory is dirtcheap now, why wouldn't they put it in? The 9V battery probably costs more than the storage for them.

https://www.boss.info/global/products/rc-3/

Check the specs. It says 3 hours in stereo (obviously that's based on some algorithm which will differ in reality depending on use), but I wonder whether I can do 6 hours in mono then, as that's what I'm dealing with. Not that it matters, but it seems so silly not to have that feature. We'll see. Maybe it just automagically switches to mono if you only feed the L-input... :shrug:

16. SkyMonkey

Cheers @PelliX but that was a specific question to @Eric'45.

I run mine both ways.
    A Donner Looper out front as a tone tweaker.
    And an RC-3 in the loop at the end of the chain.

But yes, a parallel FX loop could be problematic.

DreamerDeceiver likes this.
  17. Eric'45

Eric'45 Well-Known Member

That's actually a possibility that hasn't crossed my mind yet...:scratch:
    I like the Looper mostly for the Bluesy stuff and then I'm using the JTM45- there is no FX loop.

I could try it with my Diezel- let's see how it works out.

Mitchell Pearrow, SkyMonkey and tce63 like this.
  18. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

19. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Well, I got the Loop Station RC-3, and very happy with it. Has some nice features like the count-in for recording, over-dubbing, etc. Decent piece of kit. Full of SMD on the inside, but that's to be expected. The option for a non-latching footswitch connected to the pedal as a stop button is nice, too. Either an F5U or my homebrew non-latching footswitch - an F5U would be nice to go with the GX-700 for toggling the bypass. Currently I do that from the GPIO control of the GP-8, we'll see.

Long story short, you can get the RC-3 for about 80 Euros - not a bad deal, really.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow, SkyMonkey and tce63 like this.
  20. SkyMonkey

I can recommend the Boss FS-7 to go with the RC-3.
    It is so much smaller than the FS-5U (slightly taller, but 1/3 the width).
    No 9v power is needed in Momentary mode (i.e. the mode you need, and Polarity I).
    The power only momentarily lights the LED as you press the switch, but you can't see it anyhow coz your foot is in the way!
    It's still capable of controlling two different devices, if you don't need to scroll through the RC-3 memories.

20210404_161744-2000.jpg

PelliX likes this.