Silver Jubilee Studio 2525H Review and Demo

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Guitarjon, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

The Jubilee has far more gain than a JCM800 series. It has a lower frequency point for the midrange and can be darker amd way thicker. Put the Jubilee on Clean channel with rhythm clip on and put the gain up. Add lots of presence and treble and it is similar to an SC20. Similar. Not the same granted.
    What is "better" is up to the user. Are ypu happy with the Jubilee? Do you run the gain high on the Lead channel? If so, the SC20 won't be the same at all without an OD pedal. What are you after?

El Gringo and tce63 like this.
  2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

I just got a deal on a matching 'silver' 1x12 2512 cab as a lighter option to taking my 2536(?) 2x12 cab to rehearsals with my 2525H. Don't seem to see them on any website other than Marshall and the only result I found was a thread on here berating the price and that it uses the 'V-type' speaker. I have a spare UK made Vintage 30 so I may swap that into the cab.

I've been using my 2525H with my avatar cab, which had a Greenback in it, but I found it sounded better with the Vintage 30 when used with the 2525H. I confess that it's purely vanity that I wanted the matching cab, but it was a good price. The option of having a cab built by guy who built my avatar cab didn't work out much of a saving, plus I end up with a spare speaker (even if the V type isn't a very popular one, at least on here). Basically a cab with a 'free' speaker. Maybe I'll like it, or use it in another amp, if not I can sell it. I'll put the Greenback back in my avatar cab I guess, so I'll have one of each to chose from.

I'm going to be using my 2525H and matching cab(s) with a new band I've joined, so will be using a small pedal board with it, with a delay/reverb and clean boost in the loop: I find there is enough headroom to use the clean boost that way to lift solos up a few dB, whether it's from the 2525H's own dirty channel and/or any pedals. I actually really like the 2525H clean tone, especially with a touch of reverb.

I'll post back once I've got the cab, just incase anyone else is interested: I really like the 2525H through my 2x12 2536 cab, but I think my back will thank me at least for rehearsals, maybe some smaller gig venues (once we get back to that stage).

3. headcrash

headcrash Well-Known Member

Hey Jethro, I wouldn't say the Jubilee has far more gain than a 2203/2204 circuit JCM 800. They are not too far apart in that.
    To me it's more about useable gain. When using medium hot humbuckers, I wouldn't turn the gain much more past the 6...7 "area" on the gain knob, for both amps, because past that it can start get muddy. On a 2203 / 2204 circuit, it sounds good up untl 8-ish maybe. Turning it past these marks, both amps add disortion in the lower spectrum, which to me doesn't sound good. And maybe the Jubilee get more gain there, than the 2203/2204, which makes the impression of having more overall gain.

However, the clean mode with rhythm clip is very 800-ish, for sure. Hell, its just two silicone diodes squishing the clean sound, and all of a sudden --> a glorious hard rock crunch.

El Gringo likes this.
  4. headcrash

Would love to hear your findings comparing the V-Type to the UK V30. I recently just swapped all of my speakers either to MArshall G12 Vintage's or old 1989 black frame V30's.
    For many years I didn't like the V30s, and I have searched for a 'better' speaker since I thought I disovered I may not like them.
    But now, back to the V30s and I am so happy with them. Just sound right, regardless what many say against them, and what I thought about them for many years.
    I can understand thet you like the V30 best with the Jubilee. It's a match made in heaven :)

El Gringo and KelvinS1965 like this.
  5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

I'll post back with my findings. To be honest it shouldn't really sound much different if I move the V30 into the new cab as it's virtually the same size (not sure if the 2512 is MDF though as my avatar cab is some kind of ply). I'll give the V-type some break in before comparing them too critically, but I'm rehearsing this weekend, so I might just check it works, then swap in the V30 and put the V-type in my avatar cab to break it in.

Was hoping it would arrive today, but looks like tomorrow or maybe Friday, so won't have much time before Saturday afternoon rehearsals. :eek:

6. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I will reply to your post that i would offset the "muddy" and or "distortion" by pushing the volume , and that for me works with the gain on the 2555X , along with the Vintage 30 speakers . We are not talking bedroom volumes either as i believe the beauty of the 2555X is to have it dialed in with enough volume to hit the sweet spot , which will vary from room to room that you play in . These amps are beasts that have to have enough volume to roar in order to get to the sweet spot and to fully utilize the design of the amp the way it was intended by the design engineers . Which is quite masterful in my ears .

7. El Gringo

Now you have me curious as to what many say against the Vintage 30 speakers ? I have loved them since the early 90's when i used a friends Mesa amp that had the Vintage 30 speakers in the combo .

8. headcrash

The V30 is said to be "spikey" or sharp in the upper mids. It also is said to have a certain raspyness to it.

There is many forum conversation about the different versions of the Vintage 30: Marshall's G12 Vintage, Mesa's Vintage 30 version, Celestion's Vintage 30.

The consensus seems to be, that Marshall's version was the first (186), and Mesa's is different to that, and the Celestion branded product. Both Marshall's and Mesa's version is said to be smoother regarding that mid spike. There is also a lot of forum talk about Chinese vs. UK made. OF COURSE the "old ones were better".
    I won't comment on all that, because I haven't done a blind-test, side by side comparison of all versions.
    During the times when I disliked the V30, I chimed in, because the upper mid spike was what I was disliking then, and what I was trying to cure.
    But either my taste changed or my Marshall G12 Vintage and old 1989 UK made V30s sound different to what I had 12..15 years ago. Or both :D

El Gringo, Kinkless Tetrode and tce63 like this.
  9. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I have trod the same path. However, all my V30s are either the Mesa version or the Marshall version, and they are well broke in at this point. The V30 may need some age on them.

El Gringo and tce63 like this.
  10. El Gringo

Thanks for your reply and you info .

11. El Gringo

I think that you are right . I have my first half stack from 2015 , which those V30's are broken in . Now a year ago i got my 2nd half stack and i notice a subtle difference with the newer cab from a year ago and as i use both half stacks ( 2555X's) i am always reaching for the volumes on the newer 2555X to go higher on the volume to try to match the older half stack .