Silver Jubilee observation

cjs42079

Reaction score
hey guys, sorry for the new thread…but this is kinda cool.

I have a SJ 2525H. I’m going to assume this works similarly on the originals as well.

Anyway, typically the way I would run the clean channel is to get the input gain up to at least 6 or 7, and get some real nice but subtle overdrive going on when you dig in. Master volume maybe on 7 or 8. I would also use the footswitch and hit the lead channel at full gain. Everything sounds lovely. Amazing. Except I find it difficult to precisely manage the volume between channels correctly and I also run out of headroom real quick, not getting as much db boost as I usually like on certain parts.

Now the controversial move: I heard recently that Frusciante is using his with the rhythm clip pulled on the clean channel, and the input gain turned down really far, like 1 or 2. So I tried it and you know what…it sounds almost exactly the same as my original setup without the clip pulled and the IG on 6…except it’s even sweeter. It has a little extra touch to it. And the best part of all, I have tons of headroom available. I boost left right and all over the place. And I can switch channels and set my lead gain lower than before! Kind of amazing.

Am I nuts? Discuss…

El Gringo

Reaction score
I as well do not use the rhythm clip and tried it once on the clean channel and was not impressed on my two 2555X's . I go back and forth between the clean channel for rhythm and switch over to the lead channel for lead . The beauty is that it is a fully functioning 2 channel amp that for me does it all .

lespaul6

Reaction score
I don't use the clip but I have to have the Output Master on 8 with the Input Gain @ 6.2 to get a nice plexi style semi clean tone.

cjs42079

Reaction score
I don't use the clip but I have to have the Output Master on 8 with the Input Gain @ 6.2 to get a nice plexi style semi clean tone.
Yea and that’s a great tone. Now try it with the rhythm clip pulled and lower the input gain to 2-2.5. Bet it sounds the same but even better

cjs42079

Reaction score
You know the lead master is there to balance channel volumes?!?
Yea but it’s not a classic two channel switcher. It is dependent upon the input gain too which makes it cascading channels and not always easy to volume balance. I like my channel B (dirt) to be much louder and more aggressive than my clean channel. 90’s style

Marshall50w

Reaction score
In a band situation I ended up using my 2525H only on the clean channel with a little bit of break up. From there I use pedals to get various rhythm dirt/ lead sounds and this helps with balancing the volume levels. I prefer the pedal sounds for lead which gives more dynamics than the lead channel. At home volume, on 5 watt mode, I really like the rhythm clip sound, I can lose hours playing on this.

cjs42079

Reaction score
In a band situation I ended up using my 2525H only on the clean channel with a little bit of break up. From there I use pedals to get various rhythm dirt/ lead sounds and this helps with balancing the volume levels. I prefer the pedal sounds for lead which gives more dynamics than the lead channel. At home volume, on 5 watt mode, I really like the rhythm clip sound, I can lose hours playing on this.
Yes I know….but that lead channel on the jube sounds so goood I just have to use it sometimes. I run stereo with the jube and an origin 50. Sometimes I’ll run a light OD into the lead channel jube, and a thicker dirt or fuzz into the origin. Sounds so great

El Gringo

Reaction score
From my wacky life . I have "swimmers ear " So the past 2 weeks when playing, hearing was a chore as I could only hear out of my right ear . So naturally I "had" to raise the volume (6.5 on the one on my left and 5.5 for the one on my right ) on one of my 2 - 2555X's (the one closest to my left ear ). Still nothing except for the 2555X in my face as I can hear out of my right ear . Now having said that I have been hearing some strange sh&* . I have been using the DEBROX ear drops which did nothing this time around . Last November when I had my annual check up my Doctor says to me your left ear is full of wax , as I could still hear I didn't really care as I should have . So I made an appointment to go to my Doctor and get my ear flushed which I did this past Tuesday . So this weekend I played with the raised volume level and it was crystal clear with plenty of roar and sustain and tone . It was really loud . On Sunday , yesterday I backed down the volumes on both 2555X's (both on 5's ) and it was still really loud as I put the volumes back to there normal volume levels . Super crystal clear and such roar and sustain , and it was fun hearing normal for a change . The RN that helped me with my ear said that it is a "protective " mechanism that the ear does this . Things I take for granted like hearing are so important to quality of life .

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I have never found headroom to be a problem on the 100 watter. Channel switching would be so much easier with a separate gain control for the clean channel. I have heard of people modding one in. If I need to run it as a channel switcher I find the best way to get around the gain is to use a couple boosts. Run the input gain low and then have two overdrives up front for different amounts of gain.

cjs42079

Reaction score
I have never found headroom to be a problem on the 100 watter. Channel switching would be so much easier with a separate gain control for the clean channel. I have heard of people modding one in. If I need to run it as a channel switcher I find the best way to get around the gain is to use a couple boosts. Run the input gain low and then have two overdrives up front for different amounts of gain.
Yep, I agree with that approach. My headroom problem is cause I'm using the 20 watt head, not 100.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Yep, I agree with that approach. My headroom problem is cause I'm using the 20 watt head, not 100.

I can certainly see that being an issue with the 20 watt amps. I wish they would reissue the 50 watt too. I think it would be perfect for use cases like yours.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but I tend to find a setting I like, leave it there, and not explore further. More than once over the years I've discovered that I can change some things around and be amazed.

cjs42079

Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but I tend to find a setting I like, leave it there, and not explore further. More than once over the years I've discovered that I can change some things around and be amazed.
same! i was glad i tried something different here. pleasant surprise.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
hey guys, sorry for the new thread…but this is kinda cool.

I have a SJ 2525H. I’m going to assume this works similarly on the originals as well.

Anyway, typically the way I would run the clean channel is to get the input gain up to at least 6 or 7, and get some real nice but subtle overdrive going on when you dig in. Master volume maybe on 7 or 8. I would also use the footswitch and hit the lead channel at full gain. Everything sounds lovely. Amazing. Except I find it difficult to precisely manage the volume between channels correctly and I also run out of headroom real quick, not getting as much db boost as I usually like on certain parts.

Now the controversial move: I heard recently that Frusciante is using his with the rhythm clip pulled on the clean channel, and the input gain turned down really far, like 1 or 2. So I tried it and you know what…it sounds almost exactly the same as my original setup without the clip pulled and the IG on 6…except it’s even sweeter. It has a little extra touch to it. And the best part of all, I have tons of headroom available. I boost left right and all over the place. And I can switch channels and set my lead gain lower than before! Kind of amazing.

Am I nuts? Discuss…
The clip works decent, with the gain high for heavier rock. If your master volume is lower then you won't get enough distortion with gain on 2. Lead channel will be anemic. I have used it on occasion. I tend to live in Lead channel and use an EQ in loop as either a boost or reverse boost. Works great if you have the headroom.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
With single-channel amps, even if they are switchers, I find that rolling back the volume knob on the guitar and switching to neck pickup for clean to be the easiest way of getting there and staying somewhat compatible with the general tone of the song.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Just run the 100w in half power mode...

Running the amp in triode mode drastically changes the sound of the amp and some people may not like that. The 50 watt has the same ability to switch to a half power mode. I think having a 25/50 watt amp would be more usable to some people than the 100/50 watt. Personally I run mine in pentode mode most of the time with a decent amount of volume.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Running the amp in triode mode drastically changes the sound of the amp and some people may not like that. The 50 watt has the same ability to switch to a half power mode. I think having a 25/50 watt amp would be more usable to some people than the 100/50 watt. Personally I run mine in pentode mode most of the time with a decent amount of volume.
This is why I play on a 100-watt half stack at home. I play at just a comfortable room listening level, not much louder than normal conversation, but it's all about the headroom and tone.