>

Silver Jubilee does JCM 800 and some but not vise versa

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jchrisf, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Rolandj00

Rolandj00 Active Member

I own Both, 2203 and 2550 , great amps but just not boogies ,,,, .wanna buy em?

2. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Exactly. The signal path is the same. The amp was designed to use the same values as the original. Some of the components used are different but the result is the same. The 2555x are a lot more consistent than the originals too due to modern components having tighter tolerances.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. JacksonCharvelAddict

When I first tried the jubilee I immediately thought Wizard in my head. The modern classic is an amazing amp. Metallica used it on the Garage Inc album and that was the best tone they ever got.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  4. dodona

dodona New Member

they incorporate a solid state diodes distortion unit hence can't sound like Allman Brother tones or JVC800ths.

5. steve10358

steve10358 New Member

A great 800 and a great Jubilee are nothing alike.

Felix and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  6. ssolo8

ssolo8 Member

I heard it also makes a great souffle, but until I try it myself, I'm not going to just believe what I hear.

Felix likes this.
  7. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Try it and see. The bottom line is how they sound and they sound great.

plexilespaul and Jethro Rocker like this.
  8. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

You try a solodallas for boosting! great on clean and crunch and stays fat and dynamic, takes the lead channel to another level in gain if you want it to.

9. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Curious on what amp makes you Boogie ?

10. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

I own an original 1990 Jubilee and a 2004 800 2203X. I've had many MV Marshalls and these are the two that I won't sell. Both are terrific in their own right. You can dial them in and get very close. I like the EQ better on the Jubilee. The 800 just has that unmistakable bite and roar.

For low volumes through a 4 x 12, the Jubilee gives a smoother, better tone. The 800 is good, but it is more sterile and dry when you're at 0.5 on the MV.

I own a Suhr Reactive Load IR and it is awesome. Both the Jubilee and 800 sound amazing through a 4x12 Greenback IR and my Yamaha HS-8 monitors.

A reactive load and some good IR's and you can have a lot of fun with your 100 watt Marshall head and keep everyone in the house and your neighbors happy.

DP

11. Jubilee23

Jubilee23 Active Member

I love the Jubilee, I think it’s the best amp in Marshall’s line up, amazing cleans and overdrive is world class, very versatile amp!!

12. 67mike

67mike Well-Known Member

Only on clean channel with rhythm clip engaged......otherwise i do not think they have diodes involved?

13. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

In place of an extra preamp tube providing a clipper (as in a SLO) the overdrive channel does have a clipper formed by diodes. The Jubilee cascades V1 and then it has a clipper before V2. However, in this case they are Light Emitting Diodes or LEDs instead of silicon diodes as in a 2205.

A LED works on a principle very similar to a vacuum tube. In the case of a vacuum tube electrons "boil off" an element (cathode or anode) and flow across a gap to another element of opposite polarity (cathode or anode). There are two essential elements and if there are only these two essential elements the tube is a diode. A tube rectifier is a diode. If there is a third element placed in between such as a control grid the tube is a triode. A screen grid added in and it becomes a tetrode, and 5th element added such as a suppressor grid and it becomes a pentode.

In an LED, electrons flow across a gap to a semi conductor of the opposite polarity of the other side's polarity. When the electrons enter into the semi conductor they emit a photon. An LED functions much the same as a tube in the effect it has on the sound wave form, and how it compresses or clips the wave form. In the Jubilee, the LEDs are set up to dynamically clip one side of the waveform. An asymmetrical clip creates even order harmonics like a tube does.

Steve Grindrod in interviews has said he used LEDs instead an extra tube to perform the same clipping function when he designed the Jubilee, because of the poor quality and poor sound quality of current production 12AX7 tubes at the time.

14. Rolandj00

Rolandj00 Active Member

Ummmmmm......Mesa ,, And for low volume killer tone w/punch try an orange JR dark terror through a 4-12.

15. JacksonCharvelAddict

I like the 2203 and 2205 amps a lot. I feel like if i am after an 80's metal sound the Jubilee just does that easier. The Jubilee 100 watt is great at low volumes .

dptone5, solarburnDSL50 and El Gringo like this.
  16. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

The 2555X does low volume well and really excels IMHO when you have both the Output Master ,and the Lead Master on 7 .

17. JacksonCharvelAddict

It seems to get better the more you crank it.

El Gringo likes this.
  18. El Gringo

Yes it certainly does . Best amp to my ears .

19. El Gringo

The other thing I like so much about the 2555X is how easy it is to dial in the tone . I mean stupid simple easy

20. John Willcutts

John Willcutts New Member

Marshall does have a good remake of the Bluesbreaker out but you may want to remove s cumbersome steel grill for the combo's speaker, pain in the ass if you ask me. People talking about the Fender Plexis remakes out there too, though neither are cheap, that's for sure. You Do have to really pay for nostalgia these days, just like with the HiWatts!! Seems $2000 minimum a piece on these Big Boys.
    Really don't think You can Go Wrong on JCM800, seems we all kind of agree on that. The Old School simple Class A and Class AB amp designs seem to almost always be good choices these days and all the remakes or copycat versions out there these days more or less back up that concept being relearned again by the old guys like Marshall and Fender.
    What Goes Around Come Around,
    They Say!!