Silver Jubilee 2555x video review

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by lonewolfsx, Nov 14, 2020.

1. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I agree. I bought mine because I wanted a good thrash sound. There are not enough videos of the Jubilee doing this type of music. With a slight boost upfront the Jubilee is a high gain monster. Super tight and punchy. Gary Holt sounded amazing with his Jubilees on the last tour. His amps seemed louder or at least cut through better than Kerry's. It could have been since I was closer to Gary's side though.

El Gringo likes this.
  2. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Speaking of heavy music and the Jubilee. This isa great video that compares a ton of different boosts with the Jubilee. This is the video that helped convince me to get the 2555x.

3. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'll have to weigh out the pros and cons. There was a two notes torpedo used for $499 not long ago, maybe if something that price or lower pops up again I'll try one out.

Like you said, it definitely could get very thrashy. I enjoyed the scooped type tone on this amp more than I do on most Marshalls, which I feel thin out too much. The Jub had a lot more bass/low mids to make up for scooping some of the high mids with the mid control.

The video you shared is sick. I'm surprised by how much I liked the Barber Direct Drive. Never had one, might have to look into that... it sounds killer.

Thanks for the notes. I think I just need to iron out some kinks in the whole flow of things and it'd be a cool little channel. I've never intended it to be a pro quality production like a lot of youtube stuff is now, I just don't have the time nor the editing skill to make it happen. In a past life I was a video editor, and wrote/recorded songs for fun, on a mac. I no longer have that computer, software, or the skills to use it but it's something I've thought of working on as I go.

I'm conflicted on the IR thing. That's been my feeling as well, using an IR if it were just an SM57 close miced would probably not be too bad, but the temptation to choose an IR of a $5000 multi-mic setup is hard to resist. As much as I love my big 100 watt tube amps and the feel in the room while playing them, I do think that with a little EQing and the right IR, you could make a solid professional level recording with almost any amp regardless of how good/bad it sounds in the room.

--------------------------------------------------
    I also own an AT2020 condensor mic. It's not the fanciest thing, but maybe it might be helpful to use it as a room mic. I could cut to it during some of the clips to kind of convey what it would sound like standing in the room as opposed to the SM57 which was 3" off the cone of the speaker. Next time I'll center the mic a bit more too, I liked the darker sound off axis but maybe I went too far. We Marshall guys love our bright "kerrang."

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  4. headcrash

headcrash Well-Known Member

I think a reactive load and an IR Loader (software or hardware) helps to get a recorded sound as clsoe to the real thing, as it can get, AND helps to have consistent comparability. If I would run a youttube channel for testing amps, I would chose that way. Good sounding mic placement can be hard to recreate.
    Also miking with several different mics will color the sound, and it will be difficult for the listener to evaulate the UUT (unit under test).

For recording, I for my part I chose this solution since a few months. And I have to admit the results are convincing without haveing to find the sweet spot with mic placement. Plus, I cannot play loud at home, and would have to go to the practising room.
    I use a simple reactive load as suggested be John H in this forum, and a software based IR loader (freeware, forgot how it's called) and for comparability always the same 1x12" V30 IR from Wilkinson Audio.

My efforts can be heard here, FYI:

lonewolfsx likes this.
  5. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

That sounds great! There is definitely something to be said for quiet consistency when it comes to these types of recordings. My only fear is that it'll take away some of the feel of the "real thing" but I think it more than makes up for it with versatility. As long as it's post output section - I did a little experimentation a while back (should've published something but it was just for myself) where I just ran a few amps out from their FX sends into my interface and cab IR. This was back when I had a mac with Logic on it and I actually understood the workflow. Anyway with software IR's, split into stereo L/R, and bypassing the power section it really leveled the playing field - maybe fine for recording but it would've been a really bad way to do a comparison. One of the standouts to me was an Egnater Renegade I had at the time, which sounded liked muted ass in the room through a real speaker with the gain maxed, but sounded bright and open just out from the preamp instead. If I'd recorded it side by side with a Marshall someone might've gotten the idea they could get that bright sound from the Egnater and would've been quite disappointed once they tried it. That amp was really conflicting for me which is why I eventually sold it, not ragging on that specific amp, it was good at its own thing but bright Marshall "kerrang" was not one of them. I think that was in 2012 or 2013 and I didn't even know what a loadbox was in the modern sense.

Obviously using a modern reactive loadbox isn't nearly as extreme as just going FX out -> software IR of course. I'd expect any good quality loadbox like the Two Notes stuff to be 99% as good as a real mic and in my case better since it'll cover more mics and speakers than I could ever afford. Too bad I collected all of these cool vintage speakers though. Maybe I should get a loadbox and a PA speaker and just dump all of my cabs. haha