Silver Jubilee 2555x video review

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by lonewolfsx, Nov 14, 2020.

1. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Finally got around to making a video. It's definitely not perfect and I'm all ears to any input or advice (within reason) but I've been talking about doing this for years now so I figure I should at least start somewhere. Best way is to learn by doing! Plus, I haven't been playing as much as I used to so it gives me a good excuse to practice.

I'm hoping to do a few more comparisons, I've got a lot of amps that honestly I'd like to sell off but have been holding on to purely for the sake of making a few A/B videos so I'll get to work on those and hopefully have a few more to share later on.

This particular video is detailed dive into the 2555x I just picked up recently. When I spoke to the store (guitar center) that had this one they told me it was an original 1987 2555, so I jumped on it. Turns out it was the reissue, but it was still nice to have for a week.

I did a little comparison with some prerecorded clips between the 2555x, JCM900 Mk III, and JCM800 2205, since they all have clipping diodes and circuits designed around the same time period. That starts after the 15 minute mark if you want to skip ahead.

I think in some later videos on amps I actually own, I may also do a quick overview of the circuit and transformers etc. on the more technical side of things. Especially on some of the boutique amps a lot of talk is about the transformers so it'd be cool to see under the hood.

Here it is:

MarshallGuySC, SGFA and Kelia like this.
  2. nix_gibby

nix_gibby Well-Known Member

Imho, the video is very good, but it is obvious that you still don't know Jubilee very well.

3. wolfpack

wolfpack Active Member

Um
    Sigh
    Never mind

4. lonewolfsx

Hit me with some details, what did I miss?

Admittedly I had to rush this video out and I only had a few hours total to spend with the amp.

What would you have liked to see instead? I’m definitely in the open to feedback stage.

5. Peter Ocsenas

Peter Ocsenas Member

I think your Jubilee is screaming for a Marshall G12V speaker.

6. nix_gibby

nix_gibby Well-Known Member

The concept of the video is ok, but the sounds coming from Jubilee are not ok. First, I think you used wrong guitar with wrong pickups to present jubilee. Les paul or strat would be good choices. Second, wrong speakers, you should use Vintage 30 or Marshall G12 Vintage speakers. Third, wrong settings... Jubilee has very sensitive controls, you have to be careful with those, it can sound wonderful or terrible by small moves. In general, mid control is most important for the character of the sound, in my opinion it sounds the best between 6-7. Master volume should be at least on 6 or more, other controls by taste.

Ray Baker and Peter Ocsenas like this.
  7. lonewolfsx

Gotcha, thanks. Hopefully I'll have the chance to get another one and I'll be able to remake some of the clips. I wish I'd been able to keep this one longer because I've even said in other posts on here that spending only a week with an amp is not good enough to get the best tones out of it. That said, I did have the mids set to 6.5, and even mentioned in the video that the EQ is very sensitive compared to other amps - one of the first things I noticed about it actually. Except for the "scooped" clip the controls were set - Pres 4, Bass 8, Mids 6.5, Treble 4.

I also tried it with Vintage 30's and I felt the G12H sounded better. The brittleness to the tone was noticeably worse with the V30's. Volume may have been an issue, I had it around 4 for this review but that's about as loud as I can get away with in my house. Maybe I'll look into adding a load box or similar cabinet IR like most reviews use so I can crank up the amp a little louder next time.

I knew EMG's would polarize people on this one, in hindsight I should've just used something with some standard passives. In the clips segment, I do use a variety of guitars and pickups and only used the EMG's on the heavy parts.

Clearly I missed the target a little here though and thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do for the next one to make it a bit better. Not dealing with mics and getting an IR Loader might be the ticket.

nix_gibby likes this.
  8. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

I think your playing and sound on the heavy distorted parts kicked ass!
    Maybe smile more also.

9. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Sounds good for all but we do not know signal chain nor amplifier settings nor speakers.

In my opinion all of those can be made to sound the same with fine tuning the variables. Still I like the Jubilee for its simplicity and overall sounds.

10. lonewolfsx

Haha my girlfriend made the same comment. Every time I get a new amp I tell her about it and she says I'm always so excited to talk about it. Then when I recorded the video I was super flat. I think I was maybe a bit nervous.

The signal chain is in the description and I go over it in the video but admittedly it's not easily digestible. Maybe I should separate the comparison clips into a separate video in the future and clearly show on screen the signal chain. hmm... that's definitely the way I should go I think.

11. headcrash

headcrash Well-Known Member

First of all, good job lonewolf, I liked the clip. I can only guess how much work it is, to make even a 5 minute test video, let alone almost half an hour...

I also think there is nothing wrong with the choices of instruments, since I guess this is what you own an like for a reason. And why not chose something different, because there are so many clips out there using standrad Les Pauls or Strats (which is also good to have !).

CROWEMAG likes this.
  12. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I think the biggest thing is the speaker choice. The Jubilee really sounds best with a V30 type speaker. I use my EMG guitar with the Jubilee. I don't run my gain that high though. I typically keep the gain around 6 or 7. Maybe even lower if I have a boost out front.

Ray Baker and El Gringo like this.
  13. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

The 2555X pairs so well with the Celestion Vintage 30 speakers .

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  14. lonewolfsx

Thanks for the input everyone. I have V30's so I definitely should've used them for this one. Kicking myself for that now, but the amp is gone. I definitely plan to get another though, and when I do I'll be revisiting this concept.

If anyone is still reading, what's the general consensus on IR loadboxes? Do you think using an IR for a review like this takes something away from the tried-and-tested SM57 on a real speaker method?
    I have to admit, working out the mic placement and blasting the volume in my house was one of the more difficult parts of the video. If I eliminate that by running the amp out into a loadbox and IR instead I could record anytime and at nearly any volume too so the idea is tempting, but I'm afraid of giving up the raw "realness" of using a traditional mic on speaker.

CROWEMAG likes this.
  15. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

I think more like the speaker / mic, I know I do. Nothing beats that in my opinion.

Peter Ocsenas and El Gringo like this.
  16. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

+ 1 for me as well and if i were making a clip i would want the sound raw as well and not going thru a load reduction device .

Sustainium likes this.
  17. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I think using a load box and an IR can even the playing field so to speak. Especially if you cannot get the amp to optimal volume levels.

18. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Hey, man. Thanks for the video.
    Jubilee must be an awesome amp. Wish I could have the mini one... LOL

I don’t know if changing the guitar/speaker would make a big difference. I guess maybe it’s about miking as well. There are too many variables that can nail or kill your tone.

I personally like Jubilee as Slash tone, with that bright feel, and I think in this video the amp sounded a bit more darker than I expected. But maybe it’s about taste, and if you prefer the dark tone, that’s what matters.

About IR, I don’t like. I prefer the real thing.

Again, thanks for the video, man.
    Keep recoding! :)

19. CROWEMAG

CROWEMAG Well-Known Member

I will go on record saying you have some pretty damn awesome guitars, your format is cool, and I would like to see more. I do NOT want to see another SJ and Les Paul video. Certainly this amp can be used and sound good for more than Slash and RHCP. Gary Holt rocks one with EMG's and it sounds amazing. I am SICK of seeing video after video of butchered RHCP and GnR covers on Jubilee's. I dug it man.

I had a few Jubilee's and moved them along due to the finicky nature of the tone stack. I wanted to treat it like an 800 tone stack which is a huge mistake. You cannot! Hahaha. I could never get used to that aspect but I loved the sound....evil clipping diodes and all!!!! :cool:

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  20. CROWEMAG

CROWEMAG Well-Known Member

I think the IR's add something (good or bad) to every amp that will not be there when you transition back to a traditional speaker set up. I never let videos with IR setups sway me one way or another as to me the sound is never true.