Should’ve went with what I knew to be true!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by trax1139, Oct 13, 2021.

1. PowerTube44

PowerTube44 Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for years. I can tame ANY 100-watt head with the volume knob on a distortion pedal, or a GT-100 in the loop, or any number of methods. Five watts is far beyond "bedroom level," and one watt is a mosquito fart.

Using a 100-watt stack isn't about volume; it's about depth and headroom.

2. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

If were allowed in a bar, let alone allowed to smoke inside I'd put up with a lot. Hell, I could probably stomach an evening of Britney at insane volumes. :(

3. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

A
    Amen!

4. trax1139

Ma
    Wow! You’re way more quiet than your Grandparents favorite Symphony Orchestra!

Old Punker and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  5. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

(*Prefacing five year band disbanded since pandemic) This is a really touchy subject involving 50 to a 100 watt amps heads and/or combos for todays LIVE gigs..
    I have always sported these amps as tools-of-the-trade grabbing the right tool for the right job. Combos for the smaller gigs such as an open-mic when I forgo the solo route, and at least a half-stack for regular payed gigs.
    I get crap almost always, because when we are finished setting up, the second guitar player uses a DSL40c and looks unbalanced with a half-stack on stage. I am a dual vaiac user together with an attenuator, and look formative and intimidating sitting atop the head, but this is how I tame these higher wattage's running at 90v to get what I need.

I have been entertaining the thought of a PT15IR to bring everything up to speed so I can get back to gigging, but would have to learn this new approach in order to get close to the same invested tones I already have through my Plexi's and JCM's.
    I recently set up the SV20H through my big-boy rig and am happy with the lower watt tones that I am extrapolating, but there is less girth and so far a no-go through a 1x12. Gets better with a 2x12 and in my neighborhood when going through a 4x12.

I also need to feel an amp, as well as hearing it. Just enough for some harmonic feedback hanging in a note..
    YMMV

6. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Hey, I've played with that guy.

7. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I briefly got in a band but I was not in it long enough to play any gigs . Before I moved out of So Cal. Their vocalist was a drummer so for practice he had a real nice expensive electronic kit. It sounded damn good for what it was but I never knew a drummer that had a light touch in rock. I had the old DSL 40c and it could not cut through a loud set of drums. My 900 DR did well. And the JMD 50, being hybrid with a strong tube power section it could do both loud and quite.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  8. trax1139

I noticed the “less girth” and
    “ need to feel an amp” comments.
    I loved how you never mentioned volume when talking about those things. The little amps can be just as loud...they just sound-well-little. It’s physics period.

DreamerDeceiver likes this.
  9. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Nice writeup, and it pretty much sums it up. Locally, we seem to have to stay under 100 db for indoor venues, a bit louder for outdoor. You can ignore the venue owner, and play louder at those venues, but only once.

10. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

It's whatever makes the venues happy. Doesn't matter the type of music or band. As I said towards the end of my post, it is what it is.

11. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Rock and roll is dead, lol. Jesus we routinely stop at 100Db in my jam room ( it's small 16x24 with two full stacks and a Super Bass half stack and another half running drums) and you can still talk over it, you gotta raise your voice a bit. 100db at 15 feet in 500 seat club is a joke.

12. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I'm not a physicist, but I don't think you can do a direct comparison to 100 db in a good size club, vs. 100db in a 16x24 practice space, lots of factors to consider (reflections, sound dispersion...).

13. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My point was basically if i can control the sound level in my jam room using stacks a stack in a club should be no different. It's how it's utilized.

14. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

right, you are a lover not a fighter lol

Comprehensively, we mentioned of gigs, playing out at clubs, and at stage levels, or volumes.
    This was recorded at these (same) club volumes. A 1992 and a 4x12. You are correct about the physics as I cannot get that with any 1x12 that I have.

15. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

That sounds huge and oh so good . I agree that a 1x12 cannot sound like a 4x12 -no way !

16. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Sounds great and even Alex would be impressed - that drummer has his snare and kick dialed in too!!

17. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

Absolutely but you gotta actually control it. So many I have worked with can't get past the temptation to use that 100w half stack for what it was intended to be used for. I did a thing for an Ozzy Tribute recently and they had HUGE equipment but they were perfect. These dudes not only knew their stuff on their instruments but knew what type of environment they were working in and didn't "crank it up". They let me do my job and it was an awesome show all around. BTW they were at around 92db all night. Packed house all night til the end.

18. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

I guess since nobody else will say it, I will...

The current breed of "concert goers" are very much pussified. Very much so, did I say pussified? Ok, I hope you get that.

People that go to see a band perform their (original) music, but get annoyed/butthurt that they can't talk (over it) all the way through it & be the center of attention (because the band is too loud) - pussies...

I went to the Roger Waters The Wall concert at the LA Coliseum. There was a bunch of those types there. It's like shut up Roger (& band) I want everybody to look at & listen to me, while I sit here & take selfies of myself & act like a little girl... (even though they are male)

If you want to party & be the center of attention - stay home & invite everyone over to come worship you.

I remember seeing Michael Schenker, & for example, he was playing Let It Roll. The song is high energy from the start, then, when the guitar solo comes, it gets nice & soft, w/ a nice little melody.

When it got to the guitar solo, the crowd's db level was almost 3x's the music. I could see that it threw Michael back, he was like :wtf:, in the middle of playing his solo. He could have just stopped & nobody would have noticed... Well, I would have, but 90% of the loudmouths there wouldn't have...

When I pay money to go see a musical act, I go to see the act. I do not pay to try to get someone to jack off over my attention seeking whoredom, & I don't pay to see others doing that either...

I hate it when I pay good money to see a band & someone makes such a spectacle of themselves that you can not enjoy the show...

They should just stay TF home & if they want to support the band, buy a grateful friend the tickets, so they can enjoy the show...

Pussified lightweights annoy TF out of me...

there, I said it... :wave:

19. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Talking over Michael's Let it Roll Solo is punishable by ass-whooping. That's like talking over the Minister during a Eulogy.

Ray Baker, trax1139, C-Grin and 2 others like this.
  20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Well said, and I think I would have been thrown out for trying to tell them all to shut TF up,,, :applause::applause::applause::applause::band::cheers::cheers: