"Shootout" - Maestro Partscaster / 2011 Melody Maker / 56 LP Junior

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by AlvisX, Sep 18, 2021.

1. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

So I didn't really make these clips asking ,"Which one's better?".... We all kinda know . I mean ,I know , the difference when Im playin a piece of rain forest mahogany & rosewood VS yesterday's green poplar ( I exaggerate ).

Truth be told though, is any one better ? I don't think so . I know they can all do the gig ....they all have done the gig . The partscaster is the Less Paul I play around the house most often , because the real ones live in cases
    I put it together as a sharp stick in the eye to all the know-it-all cats with their traps open about cheap guitars (who may ,or may not have ever played a gig) ...."Oh it has a bolt on neck" ......so f'n what ...a Stratocaster has a bolt on neck ,would you not play one because of that ? Dumb
    Basically a challenge to myself as a tech / player , to make it work

It's pretty damn cool. I had to snatch the neck off a Maestro SG .I had hoped the SG would suffice as a van / plane guitar , but the mistake they made there was ,putting the pickup way too far from the bridge ....so it sounds like a middle position all the time .I had no desire to make a new guard and all that , just to get that right .

I noticed pickup placement wasn't an issue on the LP bodies . I nabbed a couple LPs for 80 bucks or so. Problem with them .....pencil necks .So, off comes the SG neck ,which I would equate with a "59" profile. Ive since then found that the SG necks are not consistently beefier , I just got lucky with this one . A cheap, but good p90, better cheap gears, nut and a long forgotten Badass... "Ready to take on every deal"

The Melody Maker is gettin ready to move to England,I think . Stuck that p94 in it a few days ago. Melody Makers can be total Les Paul killers ,especially the old ones . But I can make these 21st century ones work

The old LP Juniors only really come out for select local gigs, maybe recording , but pretty much just hang out at home . Great for reference ....tryin to tune up a MIC partscaster

Amp is a '73 Super Lead w/ blackback G 12 M's

yladrd61, El Gringo, Torren61 and 8 others like this.
  2. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

I liked the middle one, seemed to have the nicest chunka chunka sound to me. :)

El Gringo, scozz, lespaul339 and 2 others like this.
  3. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I'm hip, my cheapo epi Jr does anything i can do, especially since i scored a 50 buk Lollar P90 for it, would i choose it over my '61 SG Jr? Hells no, but it was free, a gift from a friend and that 50 buk pickup is all i got in it i think. Im gonna go get it out now matter of fact.

Mitchell Pearrow, AlvisX and PelliX like this.
  4. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

The Jr has the tone.
    How different are the pickups?

5. AlvisX

Oh, the pickups have a lot less to do with it than the wood ,I would say

6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

They all sound good to me , that amp though, I love that amp and the tones it’s capable of.
    Mitch

El Gringo and fitz288 like this.
  7. AlvisX

All my stuff comes with a wacky story . That amp , i got at a truck stop in Arkansas
    And, like most stuff I buy , I didnt try it first . Dude was really proud of the 10ft heavy duty power cord he or someone put on there . I got it home , it barely worked , squealing and brittle ....puttin out about 12 watts. Thankfully ,I tuned her up and it turned out absolutely killer. It'd be nice to be able to play that amp every night

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I can only imagine. It sounds great every time you play it. Plus I love white Marshall amps , because of Randy.
    Sounds as if you got a prize there from your purchase.
    Cheers

El Gringo likes this.
  9. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Same

Mitchell Pearrow and nickfox like this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I’m with @nickfox, I liked the black one the best.

Mitchell Pearrow and nickfox like this.
  11. Harlequin tusk

Harlequin tusk Well-Known Member

I like the last one, sounds cool

12. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Same here . To me the tone was heavier and I really liked that . Lot's of balls in the mid to lower range .

nickfox, Adieu and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

The amp is killer !

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. lordquilton

lordquilton Well-Known Member

To me the middle one sounded like you had to work harder for it, nothing wrong with that.
    Like towing something with a 6 cylinder, whereas the last one was like a V8; no sweat and oh, that rich engine note!

15. AlvisX

Got a lotta interesting feedback on the Melody Maker . Im 99% sure I'll be using that one for the LP tones, next UK trip. Im not entirely sure what that body is made of . The info Ive been able o dig up say mahogany .But when I look in the cavity ,it looks too white to be mahogany. Who knows what kind of sh*t they come up with nowdays . That maple fretboard has a little influence on the tone, Im sure.

I got an earlier version of 21st century Melody Maker ,the one that came with a single coil......that was just the slug coil from a 490 of somethin ,with a magnet under it ,chintzy AF

[​IMG]

There was a guy on ebay sellin custom MM pickguards of all wacky configurations ....p90 & tortoise ,I was in !

[​IMG]

These 2000's Melody Makers are listing for stupid money now..I didn't pay near 300 dollars for either of 'em . Everything's gone crazy

lespaul339 likes this.