Shipping a Half Stack?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by rjtm, Jul 2, 2012.

1. rjtm

rjtm New Member

Ok thanks guys. I think I'll check best buy, shipping stores, and furniture stores before I go to UPS. Thanks for the tips about the cabs too. I wouldnt have done that if I hadnt seen it on here :lol: I took out the power tubes, packaged them separately and took off the casters and packaged them separately and they are with the wires in a small box. I'll make sure to take pictures so I have proof thats a good point.

2. rjtm

rjtm New Member

Yeah thats true... I'll make sure next time to get the supplies before so I dont look like a douchebag twice in a row :thumb:

Thanks again for the tips everyone

3. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Good, I was just making sure since you didn't mention it. Just about any full-size head and cabinet box should fit. You might try checking at a local store. They are usually more accommodating and would probably hold some boxes for you. Guitar Center and Sam Ash could help if they wanted to, but there's no money in it. I'll guarantee that their storeroom has boxed heads and cabs. Slip the sales clerk a $20 and see what they can do.

4. rjtm

rjtm New Member

:lol::lol: ok ill try there with the 20 and see what I get :lol:

5. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

Do your customer a favor and take the all the tubes out of the head, mark the power tube positions and put them in a separate box. The preamp tubes don't need to be marked.

Ken

6. rjtm

rjtm New Member

Ok well I shipped it today. Guitar Center and Sam Ash didnt have anything even after I slipped the 20 to the clerk :lol: and I couldnt find anything at a furniture stores around the area or anything. I got a GREAT deal at a boxing/shipping store nearby and got it packaged there. The shipping was ridiculous though. It cost me about $450 to ship 3 packages (with insurance) through UPS: the head, the cab, and the small box with the tubes, footswitch, and casters.

I learned my lesson though. Always charge more than 200 dollars for shipping when shipping a half stack

7. clue

clue Member

I really hope it arrives ok. I didn't know that was you selling it, but it looked great.

I've had some incredibly bad experiences with vintage cabs and speakers lately. Well packed but just trashed when I received them. And it's a crying shame when something from the 60s arrives with a broken baffle, or a 1966 Celestion speaker is destroyed, or a vintage 4x12 cab corner caved in.

And yes, shipping is getting ridiculous. I just take the hit and try to do local consignment anymore for heavy stuff. Really hoping it goes ok.

Was it the YJM100 that made you sell? I've got the AFD and think Marshall's doing such a great job lately, I'm considering the YJM too.

8. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

I just go to the hardware store and buy a bunch of cardboard. Fedex and especially UPS will charge you INSANELY high to pack and ship from them. When they pack they will increase your item size by like 2 to 4 inches on each side and they charge by the size, not by weight like they lead you to believe. They will oversize your item to the point it can cost almost $300 just to ship the cabinet. If you box it yourself you can save big time. I just wrap cardboard around a head or cab a bunch of times and keep taping it, use a box cutter to make all your corners nice and neat. People may scoff but hey, if items are getting damaged with 4 inches of bubble wrap on all sides there's nothing you can do to make it any safer really. At that point a double or triple cardboard box wrapped tight to a cab is doing the same, if not better job as an oversized bubble wrapped buffer.

9. rjtm

rjtm New Member

Yeah I got it packed REALLY well so hopefully it arrives ok.

Well the selling of the Jubilee happened really fast. I've been trying to find my tone, and though the Jubilee is a kickass amp, it just didnt have my tone. Too dark and too smooth, though I like the smoothness for soloing, it wasnt aggressive enough. Even when I got the Jubilee I had always wanted a plexi type amp, but a real plexi was out of the question because it was just too loud and I could never crank it that loud. So when I realized it didnt have my tone, I went and looked into a YJM. It sounded great on youtube and had great reviews. Then as I was looking I found a great deal via Eddies Guitars through the MLP forums, and jumped on the deal. I got the YJM, and I knew it was my tone. It is a totally different amp, but it just had this rawness and power that the Jubilee didnt have. The Jubilee was softer and quieter, but the YJM is a beast, which I really liked. After some EQing, I pretty much found a sound really close to my tone using no pedals, and decided on the YJM. I couldnt afford to keep both, and I sold the Jubilee. I know I'll regret selling it (I'm already missing it :( ) but I know I'll get one again sometime in the future.

So yeah thats my story on why I sold the Jubilee. The YJM is really kickass and I've heard the AFD is awesome too :dude:

10. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Yep , those shipping companies are right fucked !!
    I got a quote to package and ship a pedal board across country to Texas , the fucking meathead told me about 600$ all said & done !!
    So , after i was done laughing my ass off , i told him to get the needle out of his arm !

Heavy Drugs man !! Heavy Drugs .....

rjtm likes this.
  11. RussBert

RussBert Active Member

$450 to ship !!!

That's just wrong!

12. CAPDUNN

CAPDUNN New Member

Never ship from a UPS store as they charge extra because they are a franchise. Always take big boxes to the UPS Distribution Center to ship.

tonefreak likes this.
  13. tonefreak

tonefreak New Member

had to ship a 24x24x6 box, weighed about 4 lbs, from here, Neenah, to somewhere in Texas yesterday for work,

the customer wanted it by saturday, cost her $141 to have it shipped by friday
    it would have cost her $20 to have it by monday...

14. joshuatree725

joshuatree725 Active Member

$450?

I shipped Marshall JCM head w/ insurance from CA to east coast for $75 a year ago. It might costed little more you because of higher insurance but should come out to around $100 to ship the both head and tubes. That means 4x12 cab cost $300+ to ship. This is why I can't sell my speaker cab on eBay plus I can't find a shipping box for it.

15. rjtm

rjtm New Member

Yeah the cab was most of the cost. The head cost around 100 with insurance but the cab cost around 300. I told them that I don't care what time it arrived but they said the price was flat no matter how long it took

16. joshuatree725

joshuatree725 Active Member

With my experience shipping via UPS, the weight doesn't really matter if the size of shipping box is too big (not sure about exact measurement). Also they have a thing called a fuel charge which is additional to shipping. For that, I now go with USPS parcel post (ground shipping) which is little more than half of what UPS charges.

17. rjtm

rjtm New Member

Yeah they said regardless of the weight, the size made them assume it weighed over 200 pounds! I thought that was ridiculous because the cab weighed 100 pounds, less than half the weight they charged me for... Ill check out USPS, I've seen a lot of that and it looks cheaper thanks for the suggestion

18. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

That's cracked... Last year, I shipped 2 cabs (1982B and 1552) from L.A. to upstate NY via UPS. The 1982B cost about 90 bucks (and it's heavier than a 1960 cab thanks to the heavier magnets on the G12-80s), and the 1552 was just over 100 bucks, because it's larger and weighed a little more. They weighed them and measured the dimensions before telling me the cost. 300 bucks is highway robbery. :wow:

Cheers!
    :dude::dude::dude:

19. IbanezMark

IbanezMark Senior Member

For $300, you could have loaded them with a private transporter who was making the run.. Crazy!

20. AdamR

AdamR Active Member

the only way they will take care of any claims is if they pack it. You charged $200 for shipping. Have the shipping company pack and ship it.