SG's... On stage..

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by jvm210guy, May 12, 2014.

1. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

[​IMG]

Show 'em, on stage...

R.Kandy and StratoMarshall like this.
  2. sccloser

sccloser Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

StratoMarshall and jvm210guy like this.
  3. Thiez

Thiez Well-Known Member

4. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Most of the time I'll use a Les Paul or p-90'd Maker for my standard tuned rock tones ....but now n then...SG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DirtySteve, R.Kandy, S.A.T.O. and 3 others like this.
  5. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

Most of the time I'll use a ales Paul too.. My last two shows have been SG though, and I'm loving it..

6. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

My SG has become a favorite through my Marshall and Orange. When I swapped magnets on my 498/490 pups is when I really settled in on my SG. I rehearse with a combo but rarely gig with one. When I do I elevate it off the floor as I found it made a big difference in overall tone. I will eventually grab a 2nd SG and set it up for slide work. I bought my 1st SG in 2012 after many years of wanting one but never pulled the trigger.

[​IMG]

7. sccloser

sccloser Well-Known Member

I started playing SG's in 2009. I had had a couple before, but never got into them. I was always a Les Paul guy. Well in 09 I had not played in bands in about 17 years and decided to get back into it but my back could not take my LPs at the time so I got an SG. However, my back has been much better and I have been starting to gig LPs again. Mostly for tuning stability. Outside gigs - heat and humidity- seem to give the SG fits.

8. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

Ditto here. I played LP's for 35 years straight up and never gave any other guitar a second look. It really overshadowed the SG. I don't have any back issues but should as I probably total over 1,000 gigs with 12 different LP's. I just got tired of the weight but never tire on the tone. I often rip leads in the upper B key and the SG upper fret access just wins hands down over any LP. I like them so much I bought a 2 for 1 model! LP's are light compared
    this cherry coffee table. 28th one off the line-'96 mint condition. Tim Shaw Gibby's on the 12 side and 498/490 swapped mags on the 6 side. Epiphone pups...barf.

[​IMG]

AlvisX and matt3310 like this.
  9. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

not STAGE i know but i'm crippled and thusly primarily a recording artist but i'm working very hard to try and get onstage again at least a little bit:
    [​IMG]

And THIS: well.....this is my NEW addition. this one has an ebony fretboard. weighs a bit mroe too (roughly 3lbs) NEITHER are neck heavy (that's from the old long neck tennon and of course having a thick neck and a light thin body which has been changed too over time). this one is my favorite but the other is just as good. i just love ebony. that said once again i have them set up the same way and they are EQUALLY playable but very different in terms of tone (pickups are different plus wood density etc and fretboard variance).
    i posted it up in the SG thread as well. anyway this is the new addition, it's an SG special platinum edition (or platinum series SG special).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

matt3310 and jvm210guy like this.
  10. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

My first SG was a 2012 Standard. I hated it honestly, I returned it half a week after I got it.

The SG I have in the pic has no issues. It has a nice thick neck, but it is not neck heavy. Stays in tune great but I know a great tech. All my guitars stay in tune. Anyway, I don't know when I'm going to pick up the Les Paul again..

diesect20022000 likes this.
  11. matt3310

matt3310 Well-Known Member

Ive got the same guitar Die!!

diesect20022000 likes this.
  12. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

i bet you do brother! :naughty:. seriously though isn't it a sweet one? mine is anyway! :D

I've played a dud or two as well. oddly enough the most duds i've played in the Gibson line have been les pauls and it's why i don't own one NOW. i am still hunting for the right one when i have some coin (which is rare lol). i have to have the major 3 (strat, SG, Les Paul.i hate teles......lol) then i will move on to some others. i will have a tele but i haven't found a single one i like. specs are too little for me (small neck, radius etc).

my favorite guitars outside of the SG though (super strats as well) are the tempest series by schecter. they feel and sound like a cross between an SG and a lester. more bite than a paul but more compression than the SG.

jvm210guy likes this.