Seymour Duncan JB - I don't like it

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by GuitarIV, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I have a few guitars equipped with emgs and floyd rose here. I use 24v all the time and IMHO the 85 sounds better in the bridge position of a floyd rose guitar. It's way fuller and fatter.

I love the 81 in the bridge position of a TOM equiped guitar...

Just to make it clear I play heavy metal

Deftone and JacksonCharvelAddict like this.
  2. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I need to try the 24v mod. I have only one EMG guitar with an 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I have been tempted to swap them. Last night I was swapping back and forth between the EMG guitar and my JB loaded Charvel and I do think the EMG sounded thicker. I play mainly thrash and heavy metal. As much as I like the JB the 81 was definitely thicker but it also is more compressed. Did you find the headroom and compression to be better at 24v?

Deftone likes this.
  3. Filipe Soares

it will be miles better with the 24v mod. all of that weird compression will be gone. It won`t change the volume, gain, nothing, just the compression. It will feel like you cleaned up the wax in your ears.

the 85 will sound fatter and fuller in the bridge, try to swap them someday. if they are solderless its really easy.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  4. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Pretty sure these are the solderless harness. I will give that a shot.

Filipe Soares likes this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

My MIM Strat has the JBJR in the bridge and the Hot Rails in the neck, and I think they sound great.
    Cheers

6. JTM1963

JTM1963 Active Member

No it wasn't. If you have a very bright guitar by all means try 250k, on any other guitar it'll sound muddy.
    I used the JB in my guitars for years.
    It's a hot humbucker with pronounced mids not designed for anything other than to beef up the pickups in Jeff Beck's Les Paul, hence the JB name, and give him the tone he wanted back in the day when Seymour lived in London.
    Remember that hot or very hot humbuckers was a way to push the input stage of non master volume amps. Pushing a hot humbucker into an overdriven input stage gives a different sound.

I've since moved towards vintage style pickups but that's another story.

Mitchell Pearrow and Deftone like this.
  7. Deftone

Deftone Well-Known Member

Yes. JB/Floyd, EMG/Floyd....Mahogany or Basswood is key IMHO. I like the 24v mod EMG's as well.

I have an X series King V I got for $375 used. EMG's Floyd, Basswood.... it's pretty awesome.

[​IMG]

8. Filipe Soares

I have the white X Rhoads guitar and for the price they ask these X-Series can't be beaten! These are great and cheap guitars.

ricksdisconnected and Deftone like this.
  9. Deftone

I agree. Excellent value. I don't have one single complaint with that guitar at all. So well balanced too, it sits right where you want it like someone was holding it for you. Makes it really easy to play fast and not make mistakes.

I'd love to get a white RR...an X or maybe a Pro series with the Mahogany body.

The FR Special has impressed me. My plan was to yank it and replace with a genuine OFR, but it hasn't given me and problems other than some stripped screw heads from the P.O. I replaced them and it's working as good as any of my OFR's

10. Filipe Soares

if you want to upgrade the FRS just throw a schaller tremolo and cup holder, the best 20usd you will spend in this guitar. Probably you will forget about a OFR upgrade.

[​IMG]

This is mine, the only upgrades I did was the trem arm/cup and 24v.
    rrxmg.jpg

11. Deftone

I think all my OFR's and the Special have the cup? My LP Custom Lite has it too. It's a Schaller.

I've got the 24v on my King V as well.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  12. Filipe Soares

the specials are a little lose, if you change the trem bar and the cup it will feel "more expensive" and they are pretty stable IMHO.

Deftone and ricksdisconnected like this.
  13. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I am currently trying to decide what pickups to put in my ibanez 25th anniversary S model. I currently have two dimarzio d'activators and a true velvet in the mid position. The d'activators just sound too thin for me although there is good clarity for chords but, just too thin for soloing. Was thinking about the JB & jazz set up but not sure if they would be a good fit.
    The S has a Mahogany body and I believe a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what might sound good. I play mostly melodic metal.