Seymour Duncan Full Shred Set; Review; I think I finally found my favourite pickup!

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Whats up everyone,

I recently ordered a Seymour Duncan TB-10 and SH-10n Full Shred set for my ESP M-II to replace the EMGs it came with stock. I'm playing styles that range from Rock up to Modern Metal so I needed something a little bit less compressed with more dynamics that can still get heavy yet not suck for more laid back stuff.

I discovered the Full Shred by accident, I was building a partscaster guitar, had no idea what to put in the bridge, liked the description on the website and figured why not try something new? I am very well familiar with the more popular offerings by SD, the JB, 59, Invader, Jazz etc.

So that build project is long gone and the pickup didn't really sound spectacular in it, I had a no name guitar lying around that some unknown luthier built and I got for real cheap, so I put the TB-10 in and slapped some strings on.

I was friggin shocked by the sound. Clarity, harmonics, low end tightness, screaming leads. Suddenly the no name axe was my best sounding instrument.

Now I wasn't sure if it was the wood of the guitar or the Full shred, but I took the chance, went ahead and got a pair for the M-II.

Spent the better half of the evening yesterday to solder em in, clean the guitar and put a fresh set of strings on and today I finally had the chance to test everything with some volume.

With my 2203 going into my 412 cab with the original G12-65 Celestions I got some really nice crunchy AC/DC type tones, lots of that prominent high mid bite. The low end is there but never flubby and everything has a very immediate and percussive attack. Dynamics are great, the pickups respond to changes in pick attack and to rolling down the volume pot. So far so good.

Now I kicked on my SD-1 and instantly landed in 80ies Hard Rock and Metal territory. The Full Shreds swallow distortion like a champ and don't lose their definition. I'm kinda still baffled that an Alnico 5 equipped pickup can stay so firm in the low end, I suppose it's the hex pole pieces that are responsible. String seperation is great, you hear all the notes no matter how big the chord, I had some Bareknuckles years ago and that was their biggest strength, the Full Shred rivals that no problem for a lot less money.

Next up I connected my beloved Laney IRT Studio amp that I use for all things heavy and this is where I ultimately spent almost a whole hour playing the guitar.

The bridge pickup feels very balanced, the lows and low mids are full but not flabby. The low end reacts fast and tracks extremly well but it's not missing. The highs have a nice bite to them, give you aggression and clarity but funny enough they are not shrill. When you go up the fretboard past the 12th fret to solo it doesn't get piercing, the notes sing. It's very violin like.

If you really dig in and hit the strings hard you get rewarded with percussive and instant attack, pinch harmonics scream. Lots of high overtones.

Now the neck pickup was what really suprised me at first. Yesterday when I couldn't play the guitar loud I hooked it up to my Laney and played through headphones, when I flicked from the bridge to the neck I first thought I had screwed up the wiring. It went from full and saturated to very single coil like.

I checked the DC resistance hooking my multimeter up to the cable and selecting the neck pickup, it read around 7k ohms, I looked it up on the website and it was spot on.

So today when I finally got the chance to move some air I was surprised again, but in a pleasent way. The Full Shred neck is almost like a single coil in humbucker form. It is bright and defined, percussive, the low end is not boomy (usually my beef with neck humbuckers), once you start playing fast runs you hear every damn note. I understand why it has "Shred" in the name.

Now this is my first impression, I know it's the honeymoon period and I also replaced the old gunky strings with a fresh set; however I am extremly pleased with the result. I will take the guitar to rehearsal next week to test it in a band context, but I am confident that the beef I had with the EMGs is resolved with the Full Shred set.

So to sum up:

TB-10 Full Shred bridge:

-Tight low end, even midrange, prominent but not piercing highs
-Articulate and precise for rhythm work
-Immediate and percussive attack
-Awesome clarity and string seperation
-Rather unforgiving pickup

SH-10n Full Shred neck:

-Single coil like tone
-Fast response, notes jump out
-No boominess in the low end

My final verdict: for the styles of music I play with this particular guitar I have struck gold. I am happy with the rhythmic capabilities of the Full Shred, it's what I play 80% of the time anyway. However when I do need to rip some solos both pickups just scream the right way. They really translate what comes out of your hands.

If you are looking for these qualities seriously consider this set. I would not recommend them to someone who is playing more laid back stuff all the time, also not to some more modern metal players that need a sledgehammer or more aggression. The Full Shred is like a scalpel.

Anyway, hope I didn't overdo it with this wall of text, as a little reward here are some pictures. Rock on!

20191004_122625.jpg 20191004_122633.jpg 20191004_122638.jpg 20191004_122649.jpg 20191004_122656.jpg

Last edited:

justinrhoads80

Reaction score
Hm. I plan on possibly getting an E-ii MII in the near future once I sell my jackson.

Wanna try out some new pickups other than fishman,emg, etc. I want something that is like what you stated for the bridge pickup (neck will have to be something else for me), but I don't want something that brings out the highs of the alder body, but can sound aggressive and is HEAVY for the palm mutes if you know what I am sayin

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Hm. I plan on possibly getting an E-ii MII in the near future once I sell my jackson.

Wanna try out some new pickups other than fishman,emg, etc. I want something that is like what you stated for the bridge pickup (neck will have to be something else for me), but I don't want something that brings out the highs of the alder body, but can sound aggressive and is HEAVY for the palm mutes if you know what I am sayin

It all depends on how the guitar sounds naturally, my M-II is quite balanced with a good chunk of low mids so the Full Shred didn't make it piercing or thin, it complements it the right way and the highs aren't shrill, despite the Alder body.

That said as far as I have seen the new E-II M models come with Bareknuckles. If you want aggressive midpush that can sound good in E-Standard and lower tunings the Black Winter set by Seymour Duncan would be worth a shot, I only hear good things about them and people say they are surprisingly versatile for a metal pickup.

Last edited:

justinrhoads80

Reaction score
It all depends on how the guitar sounds naturally, my M-II is quite balanced with a good chunk of low mids so the Full Shred didn't make it piercing or thin, it complements it the right way and the highs aren't shrill, despite the Alder body.

That said as far as I have seen the new E-II M models come with Bareknuckles. If you want aggressive midpush that can sound good in E-Standard and lower tunings the Black Winter set by Seymour Duncan would be worth a shot, I only hear good things about them and people say they are surprisingly versatile for a metal pickup.

I had a set of black winters in my jackson usa. Very similar spec'd guitar and I am a bit wary of trying those since in my jackson they sounded crisp, but the bottom end was not satisfactory and didn't hold up to my standards. Cleans and leads were pretty good from what I recall

GuitarIV

Reaction score
I had a set of black winters in my jackson usa. Very similar spec'd guitar and I am a bit wary of trying those since in my jackson they sounded crisp, but the bottom end was not satisfactory and didn't hold up to my standards. Cleans and leads were pretty good from what I recall

What exactly is it that you didn't like about the lowend? Not fast tracking enough, too thin, too fat?

CraigP

Reaction score
Good review, thanks. Pics worth a thousand words....gimme sound !!!!!!!

justinrhoads80

Reaction score
What exactly is it that you didn't like about the lowend? Not fast tracking enough, too thin, too fat?

it was a very short period of time that I had it. I felt that it wasn't tight enough and wasn't enough bottom end for palm mutes.

I am still willing to try it, but I am just cautious about it.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Good review, thanks. Pics worth a thousand words....gimme sound !!!!!!!

I really need to figure out how to sync audio and video... I'll look it up today and if I succeed I'll give you a proper video :)

it was a very short period of time that I had it. I felt that it wasn't tight enough and wasn't enough bottom end for palm mutes.

I am still willing to try it, but I am just cautious about it.

Fast tracking and big low end are somewhat contradictory... that said you gotta start with something that is tight at the source, so the pickup. You can always fatten a fast responding low end after the preamp, be it the resonance control (if your amp has one) or something like an EQ pedal in the loop, Boss GE-7 or MXR 10 band comes to mind.

What tunings are you in?

Give the Full Shred a chance. I'm sure you can pick one up used for cheap and if you don't like it just flip it. You might be surprised, don't let the Alnico 5 magnet fool you.

I also suppose that the pushed midrange of most modern pickups might be something that factors in as well. If you play a mid heavy pickup, boosted by a mid heavy OD into a midheavy amp into Celestion V30s... honk city. I enjoy the SH-5 Custom and now the Full Shred simply for their more relaxed midrange, I'm not drowning in a mix because I still have the SD-1 goosing a Marshall but it's less nasal.

If you wanna go more extreme try the Duncan SH-14 Custom 5. That thing is reeeeally scooped but apparently it gives a lot of people what they desire and as said, if the amp fills out the midrange it might just balance out fine.

Cheers

wakjob

Reaction score
Thanks for the in depth review/opinions on the FS.

Sounds like it's in the same camp as the DMZ Steve Special and EVO neck pickups...

Balanced. No "cocked-wah" or "vowel" like mids. Tight.

Evo neck sounds super clear and even more single coil like when wired in parallel...well, most buckers take on that characteristic wired that way.

You want tight AND big...BKP Blackhawk ceramic.
That's been my djent goto pu lately.

justinrhoads80

Reaction score
I really need to figure out how to sync audio and video... I'll look it up today and if I succeed I'll give you a proper video :)

Fast tracking and big low end are somewhat contradictory... that said you gotta start with something that is tight at the source, so the pickup. You can always fatten a fast responding low end after the preamp, be it the resonance control (if your amp has one) or something like an EQ pedal in the loop, Boss GE-7 or MXR 10 band comes to mind.

What tunings are you in?

Give the Full Shred a chance. I'm sure you can pick one up used for cheap and if you don't like it just flip it. You might be surprised, don't let the Alnico 5 magnet fool you.

I also suppose that the pushed midrange of most modern pickups might be something that factors in as well. If you play a mid heavy pickup, boosted by a mid heavy OD into a midheavy amp into Celestion V30s... honk city. I enjoy the SH-5 Custom and now the Full Shred simply for their more relaxed midrange, I'm not drowning in a mix because I still have the SD-1 goosing a Marshall but it's less nasal.

If you wanna go more extreme try the Duncan SH-14 Custom 5. That thing is reeeeally scooped but apparently it gives a lot of people what they desire and as said, if the amp fills out the midrange it might just balance out fine.

Cheers

Well I think I will try the full shred. Go from there to pinpoint likes/dislikes.

I don't want scooped sounds. Not my thang. As much as I love Dimebag, scooped doesn't suit me.

Latest posts