Seymour Duncan Aniquity P90 users?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by 99_Revolutions, Feb 21, 2016.

1. 99_Revolutions

99_Revolutions Active Member

Anyone used this pickup? It worth the $100?

Any other Pickup recommendations?

2. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Well-Known Member

Contact Aaron at Rumpelstiltskin Pickups. He will wind you whatever tone you prefer in a P90 and will walk you through the process. He will do all that and be cheaper than SD.

I have lots of Rumpelstiltskin and the dude can wind pickups.

3. 99_Revolutions

His P90's are the same price as SD's though...

4. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

Jason Lollar winds the best P-90's. I have a pair of his stock P-90's in my Gibson CS 56' GT Les Paul guitar (or R6 guitar). The Tone Quest Report rated the Lollars as the best P-90 pickup in its class.

5. jack daniels

If you're gonna use SD, then be sure to get the Antiquity versions with 10% more wind in the bridge and 5% less wind in the neck.

6. 99_Revolutions

Why the extra 10%? And I only need a bridge pup

7. jack daniels

For a slightly hotter bridge (and a little more P-90 bite) which also balances out well in the middle position when using a 5% lower wound neck for more clarity in this position.

8. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I use the Duncan SP-90 1b on just about everything ....It's very much like a 60's p-90 IMO
    To my knowledge ,they dont make it in a dogear config, but that never stopped me from puttin one in a Junior if I wanted to
    They dont cost 100 bucks

9. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

If you THINK you only need 1 pickup then you DON'T KNOW seymour duncan pickups.

you may as well just buy the number 1 CHEAPEST PICKUP of all time if that's all you require.

you don't need any skill in your pickup maker at all. so just get ANY person to wind you up something.

It's like your saying YOU NEED the lamboguini cause YOU'RE going shopping at the small shop at the end of your street, 20feet away.

10. dreyn77

It's like saying you're gonna need to put something on the wall of your toilet room cause it's looking too boring at the moment, so you simply MUST HAVE a painting by some guy called Andy Warhol cause you've heard people talk about his paintings as being 'GOOD'.

11. 99_Revolutions

Les Paul juniors only have one pickup though?

12. dreyn77

You gotta be careful cause seymour does make pickups have sounds which are only for a bridge pickup type of sound.
    that allows him more range for his neck pickups sound.

DiMarzio makes a bridge pickup have a sound similar to the neck pickup model sound, so maybe you should look at their range.

SD is gonna keep the bridge pickup sound bright & thin in all of it's range of sound options.

13. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

anything antiquity from SD should be of epic proportions. i have a US jazzmaster thurston moore with SD antiquities. it's just how a classic jazzy should sound.

SD forgot more than the new guys know.

14. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Well-Known Member

Rumpel actually had to raise prices to increase business....yeah,bayou read that right. Like Lil Dawg amps, people thought they couldn't be as good as they are at the original cheap prices. I know,nspunds crazy. You can order a Japanese boutique KMS Old alnico 5 bridge P90 made by Gotoh that is absolutely vintage sounding. Call Peavey parts and order it from the for $42. Ask for the Peavey Firenza bridge P90.Cheap, snotty,band full of P90 snarl, yet at a way low price. You will have a 50s vintage wind P90 that retains its brightness. I love them. Highly recommended. Another good choice is the Bill Lawrence L610 for $60. Noiseless p90 that also doesn't get muddy. Retains all the highs. They have pulled it from their site but will make you one if you call Becky and ask. I have one and love it. There....2 inexpensive choices that will get you GREAT tone.