Seventy 80 upgrade for Silver Jubilee

steka

Reaction score
Hi guys

i got a fantastic deal on a mint Silver Jubilee 2525h together with a cheap/ish Palmer 2x12 cab equipped with 70/80 speakers.
This is my first Marshall and I’m already in love with the amp. Such a great built quality. My other amps are a Fender 57 deluxe and a vibrochamp reverb.
I play the jubilee on 20w and I attenuate it by 15db.
Not disappointed with the sounds that I get, but I do read everywhere that the 70/80 might not be the best speakers.
So I’m contemplating to get greenbacks or v30. But then again I think „why not get rid of the whole Palmer box and just replace it with an original Marshall cab“.
The Palmer box seems well built, however I’m only a home player and I don’t really need the capacity of 2x12 at all.

so, first of all: what speakers go well with the jubilee?
what size of cabinet would you guys recommend for a home player that is hovering around the 90-95 db mark?

the stuff I play on the Marshall is mostly Frusciante\Hendrix style tones and feel, maybe some modern rock. Not into metal at all and everything clean, bluesy etc goes via the 57deluxe (so far)

thanks for your recommendations!

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

i got a fantastic deal on a mint Silver Jubilee 2525h together with a cheap/ish Palmer 2x12 cab equipped with 70/80 speakers.
This is my first Marshall and I’m already in love with the amp. Such a great built quality. My other amps are a Fender 57 deluxe and a vibrochamp reverb.
I play the jubilee on 20w and I attenuate it by 15db.
Not disappointed with the sounds that I get, but I do read everywhere that the 70/80 might not be the best speakers.
So I’m contemplating to get greenbacks or v30. But then again I think „why not get rid of the whole Palmer box and just replace it with an original Marshall cab“.
The Palmer box seems well built, however I’m only a home player and I don’t really need the capacity of 2x12 at all.

so, first of all: what speakers go well with the jubilee?
what size of cabinet would you guys recommend for a home player that is hovering around the 90-95 db mark?

the stuff I play on the Marshall is mostly Frusciante\Hendrix style tones and feel, maybe some modern rock. Not into metal at all and everything clean, bluesy etc goes via the 57deluxe (so far)

thanks for your recommendations!
:welcome: to the forum, and congrats on your new Marshall.
I don't have the 2525, but I use 2 x 12" setups on all my 5, 15 & 20w tube amps.
The 2525C comes with a G12M-25 Greenback, and the 2512 extension cab comes with a G12 V-type, so Marshall thinks they go together.
Seventy -80 speakers are bright and trebly, so are not great with a high gain amp.
I swapped them out in the MX cabs on my DSL2H for a V30 & T-75 and like them much better.
Just some ideas for ya, what you will like is up to you.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Greenbacks, G12M65 Creambacks, G12T75s, and V30s are four sure fire good choices for that amp. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

The Greenback is the most midrange focused speaker of the bunch, and the T75 is the most scooped (more bass and treble, less mid) of the bunch. Personally I'd put in G12M65 Creambacks in a more modern amp like a Jubilee. (More modern...not VERY modern.) They sound a lot like Greenbacks but a bit brighter. And they take more power.

Eric'45

Reaction score
I would choose the Creambacks too- second Choice would be V30s, but be aware that these are more sensitive- so the same signal will be louder. (Not by much, but nyou can notice it). I personally would never choose the 70/80 for anything. I have grown to hate them.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I've put G12P80s (same speaker as the 70/80) in Fender amps I got that had no speakers in them. They work well in that application, but I'd never think to put them back in a 4x12 cabinet and run a Marshall through them. They're just not good sounding speakers for a Marshall.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Since you mentioned the thought of another cabinet I recommend the 2536A slant 2x12 that comes stock with G12 Vintage speakers. These are exclusive to these cabs. Ive played through several Celestions. Standard greenbacks and heritage along with vintage 30s, anniversary G12Hs and T75s. Once i got the 2536A with those speakers i haven't looked back. The others didn't sound bad but the G12 Vintage are really good with the amp's voice.

steka

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum, and congrats on your new Marshall.
I don't have the 2525, but I use 2 x 12" setups on all my 5, 15 & 20w tube amps.
The 2525C comes with a G12M-25 Greenback, and the 2512 extension cab comes with a G12 V-type, so Marshall thinks they go together.
Seventy -80 speakers are bright and trebly, so are not great with a high gain amp.
I swapped them out in the MX cabs on my DSL2H for a V30 & T-75 and like them much better.
Just some ideas for ya, what you will like is up to you.

thanks for the extensive answer!

I would choose the Creambacks too- second Choice would be V30s, but be aware that these are more sensitive- so the same signal will be louder. (Not by much, but nyou can notice it). I personally would never choose the 70/80 for anything. I have grown to hate them.

Thanks. I listened to various comparisons now. The 70/80 really sound quite shrill compared to all other speakers. I compensated already. Turned the treble on the Jubilee down first thing I fired it up.

Since you mentioned the thought of another cabinet I recommend the 2536A slant 2x12 that comes stock with G12 Vintage speakers. These are exclusive to these cabs. Ive played through several Celestions. Standard greenbacks and heritage along with vintage 30s, anniversary G12Hs and T75s. Once i got the 2536A with those speakers i haven't looked back. The others didn't sound bad but the G12 Vintage are really good with the amp's voice.

Thanks! The 2536A is really a temptation, but it is really expensive in Germany.

Short summary: spent the whole night listening to comparisons between all types of speakers and in the end I preferred the creambacks. Dropped an order for 107€ per piece at a store in Germany. Not a bad deal, the average price seems to be ±125€.
Really excited about those speakers!
I will leave them in the Palmer cabinet even though this is not my favorite design. Sooner or later I will get a Marshall Box.
Also, the Creambacks could work with my 57 Deluxe when cranked.

Eric'45

Reaction score
Yes 70/80 are shrill. And what I find remarkable about them- they never really break in as much as other Speakers. Or at least, the Upper Frequencies responsible for the 'fizz' never go away.
V30's are considered Trebly too (at least compared to Greenbacks), but they break in nicely and mellow out a lot.
My favourite Cabinet is the Orange PPC 212. Two V30s, so you can plug in a 100 Watt Head as long as you don't really crank it.
Never underestimate the added Sound Pressure of two more Speakers in a Cabinet. So your Palmer Cab is equipped with the two Creambacks and the Orange with the two V30's would give you kind of a 'modular' Halfstack.
Essentially a 4x12 for Gigging that can be halved for Transportation- for Home or Studio use you could choose either of the Cabinets.
That is the route I have chosen- except that I currently don't play out and so I have not bought a second 2x12 yet.

dptone5

Reaction score
Another vote here for Greenbacks. They are my favorite speakers, but I tend to like 70's and 80's music and instrumental guitarists. V30's would also be a great choice, as well as either of the Creambacks (65 W or 75 W).

Welcome to the Forum BTW!

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
The Jubilee and the V30 (preferably the Marshall or the Mesa Boogie proprietary versions) are like peanut butter and Jelly.

Jubilees are okay with GBs/CBs, but in my experience, the V30 is better with that particular line of amps.

ido1957

Reaction score
I swapped a V30 for the 70/80 and it made a large audible difference. There's a lot of great choices out there.

steka

Reaction score
I got and tested the creambacks yesterday. Holy crap! I’m drooling over them. Night and day difference, especially with gain. And the silver jubilee is just cream, what a great amp. Next thing I’m trying the creambacks also with my 57 deluxe. It’s got an 8ohm out and I wired the creambacks in series so they make 16 ohms - that shouldn’t be an issue, right?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The Jubilee and the V30 (preferably the Marshall or the Mesa Boogie proprietary versions) are like peanut butter and Jelly.

Jubilees are okay with GBs/CBs, but in my experience, the V30 is better with that particular line of amps.

Agreed. The Jubilee series can be darker than most Marshalls and a higher mid hump is nice. Any scopped or low mid speakers wouldn't be as advantageous IMO. I have a Creamback 65 and it has nice thuddy lows but not nearly as bright as a V30.

Dan myers

Reaction score
I have (2)2-12 cabs one with greenbacks
And the other with V30’s I prefer to play classic rock with the green backs and 80’s hard rock with the V30’s.The jube sounds good either way.Also depends on the guitar hum buckers or single coils.
The best tones from this amp imo come from the lead channel with a hum bucker guitar.If I played single coils for a majority of the time I would of bought the SV20.

C-4

Reaction score
Look into a Celestion Creamback 65 or a Celestion Creamback Alnico 90.
Check on you tube Lance Keltner's video on the Celestion Creamback Alnico 90.
It is what sold me on that speaker for my 2525H.
I have it in a Zilla Ported 1x12 and it sounds bigger and not at all boxy. Best 1x12 I ever bought.