Setting sound marshall jubilee John Frusciante

Neoto

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I introduce myself, I'm Neoto and I'm new to this forum, although I've been reading it for quite some time. I am a marshall sound man, I have tried many marshall models and my favorite is the jubilee... When the reissue came out I bought a 2555x and when I could I sold it and managed to acquire an original 2555 from 1987 and an original 2554 from 1987. I love them, The question is to see if someone can help me if they have been in the situation... I am doing a tribute to Red Hot Chili Peppers and although I have obtained a very similar sound (I also have pedals that frusciante uses such as boss ds2, Ibanez wgh10, etc. . ) the thing is that I can't get a solo sound as rich as in slane castle and I wanted to ask your advice to see if someone could guide me because I'm going crazy hehehe I know that to sound the same I should have his hands hehehe but I want the sound closer to his solos at slane castle. Does anyone have any idea of the setting to achieve it? excuse my english, since i'm from spain jeje

El Gringo

Reaction score
Welcome and Greetings . I use 2 - 2555X's and love them as well as the RHCP . I am not familiar with how to dial in his tone , but I am sure others here would be able to help you I hope . Your English is very good and very easy to understand so no worries at all there ! Best Wishes and Welcome once again ! :headbanger:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Check this tread out , also I recently seen something about him going to Non master volume 4 hole input heads.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Bienvenidos!!!

Love Slane, incredible from start to finish!

I'm not super familiar with John's rig but from my understanding he was using the DS2 for the solo tones. He gets an almost fuzz like effect but so much smoother, well executed tone and I feel like that is the DS2 on the turbo mode. Take in consideration that he was playing at stage volume and I've noticed that can play a huge part in the sound. Playing a fuzz or distortion in a driven amp that is pushed to speaker break up can really affect the tone.

I could be 100% wrong but I think the solo tone is the DS2 in turbo mode with an already driven amp.

Listogast

Reaction score
John typically set his treble to 0 and bass on maximum, and he'd push the volume and the gain as high as they can go before the amp starts to overdrive.

As for his slane castle solo tone, he used the Boss DS2 in conjunction with a Big Muff I believe. However I seem to nail that tone just with the DS2 itself, Try putting distortion and tone on maximum and adjust the level to where its somewhat even with your amp volume. That should get you close.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I introduce myself, I'm Neoto and I'm new to this forum, although I've been reading it for quite some time. I am a marshall sound man, I have tried many marshall models and my favorite is the jubilee... When the reissue came out I bought a 2555x and when I could I sold it and managed to acquire an original 2555 from 1987 and an original 2554 from 1987. I love them, The question is to see if someone can help me if they have been in the situation... I am doing a tribute to Red Hot Chili Peppers and although I have obtained a very similar sound (I also have pedals that frusciante uses such as boss ds2, Ibanez wgh10, etc. . ) the thing is that I can't get a solo sound as rich as in slane castle and I wanted to ask your advice to see if someone could guide me because I'm going crazy hehehe I know that to sound the same I should have his hands hehehe but I want the sound closer to his solos at slane castle. Does anyone have any idea of the setting to achieve it? excuse my english, since i'm from spain jeje
Since you have both the 2555 head and the 2554 combo it would be interesting to hear how you hear these through the same cab with the same guitar.. Over the years some have posted about the 2554 not sounding the same as the other Jubes. Also it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the 2555 vs the 2555x.

3ivan7

Reaction score
Marshall Super Bass is nedded if you want that sweet thick tone for solos ,even for clean , my opinion is that 4 hole superbass is more important for J.F. sound, and one more thing ,there is no overdrive pedal or compressor that will give you punch character and gain like you can get with CE1boss paired with superbass . One thing about eq on Frusciante amps , dont look at his pictures on net, if you dont play at the exact venue you just dont need them. Second thing, he was quiet more than loud, i believe he played his Marshall on 1, maybe louder for silver jub. because that is a lot quieter amp from default.

Dbunch9

Reaction score
YouTube will gallucio, he has a 40 minute video on frusciantes tone and mentions slane castle. Something about flipping the polarity with the overdriven ds-2/fuzz tone made a difference

tincbtrar

Reaction score
Jumping in here as I own the jubilee and it’s matching cab. His settings won’t apply unless you use those 1960 cabs with g12t75s. He liked this sound (that’s why the settings are so extreme).

If you use the proper cab with a jubilee your settings should be much different. IMO the Marshall Vintage speakers are better too, although if you can find vented g12t75s, those are nice too.

Anyway, my settings for this type of tone are around noon for all eq, and presence is on you. I’d keep the presence below six.