Serial number JCM 800 2204

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by XTRXTR, Mar 8, 2021.

1. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Active Member

Is there a database source for Marshall serial numbers here? I just want to see if my amp is catalogued I'm trying to determine the sell price if and only if I decide to sell it.

Its a 20th Anniversary Series USA White Tolex 2204 Full stack. No its not mint I used this amp until about 2005 so it has tolex scratches and since its white it looks dirty. It is the best sounding amp I ever owned and since I'm getting old it may be time to let someone else own it...I'm not certain on that. Anyway I want to do my diligence in determining its worth before I do anything. I am the original and only owner of it and it works just perfectly. Currently has EH KT88s installed no mods other than the bias resistor and cathode 1 Ohms that Lord Valve did for me decades ago.

I don't want to provide the actual number as a caution. I'm kinda new here and I don't know if its a good idea to disseminate information like that:shrug:

Is there an official Marshall database?

Thanks
    X

2. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

1982?

3. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Active Member

It has /3 on the all Drake iron; 2204 USA in blue ink sticker w/initials G.W. 16/2/83, inspector and Roslyn and IDK is that EDIT: Amy? After looking around online I don't believe it was who I initially asked.
    20210308_152905.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  4. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Active Member

I think only the Cabinets say Anniversary Series

5. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

The label on the chassis and transformers is accurate. Reverb has the numbering scheme. The JCM800’s all have a single letter in the serial number that designated the year. My 86’s both have a U, yours probably has an R.

XTRXTR likes this.
  6. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Active Member

The Serial number: S/A and the rest does not follow any I found published conventions on this amp and could not find any on Reverb. The ones I found don't fit for 1982 or 1983.

Update: I found some information to clarify things for me. I'm happy about what I found. My Stack is documented properly and serially. Head, 1960A, and 1960B cabs with G12-65s authentic. I bought this at the time it was manufactured, I paid for it and rolled it home. You know you see things and you hear and read conversations that make you question your own actions sometimes. It has been 38 years, trust me your memory starts to dull, I got stories. I'm glad I looked into it. I'm not going to clean it or patch any tolex, a real collector would want the stories and the used look.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  7. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Active Member

I bet that amp sounds incredible. I’m guessing your based in the USA?

XTRXTR likes this.
  8. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Active Member

Yes to both, it sounds a great and I am in the USA. I keep getting these flashbacks of things that have happened while playing this amp in hundreds of different venues. I need to write these down. It is the stuff around you when you are trying your best to focus on the business at hand that really makes you smile later on - breathe it all in.

Petejax1234 likes this.