Selmer cabinet greenbacks

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by cruffmart, Sep 26, 2020.

1. cruffmart

cruffmart New Member

HI everybody!

I bought a very old Selmer cabinet a few years ago I think this cab is from sixties but i´m not sure...
    inside, there are two celestion greenback in very good appearance, and sound is good.
    I think one is from 1970 and 1972 respectively

I'm not sure I want to sell it but, someone wants to buy this cab to me What price do you think is fair? what do you think of this cab?

I trying to decide whether to sell or keep a good collector's item

more info in pictures
    thanks!

Attached Files:

tce63 likes this.
  2. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Solid built random brand cab with mismatched aftermarket greenbacks from the 70s?

Maybe $400 (estimate not offer)

tce63 likes this.
  3. cruffmart

cruffmart New Member

cabinet Included?? I thought could be more

4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Same difference. Maybe less with the cab than without...

5. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

Those G12H 75hz are great speakers, I would keep the cab and speakers.

6. cruffmart

cruffmart New Member

thanks for comments

7. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Speakers alone are probably worth 600-700$ IF they are in perfect shape. A big IF.

Selmer is one of the classic British brands from the 60s so the cab should be worth something too, at least if it's not a random 2x12 cabinet with a Selmer logo put on it

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  8. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

It's an SV series logo, mid 70's - ish. Could be one of these, an AP50 cab:

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/selmer/speakers/spk10.html

It's a plywood cab, which is good and gives it a decent value. MDF cabs are usually near worthless, nobody wants them. So maybe 100 GBP or so for the empty cab?

As for the speaker values, yes you can't value them just by looking at the back of them. eg "they're greenbacks so must be worth x-amount", you can't value speakers like that. 3 things make a speaker valuable: condition, originality, and quality of tone. The way you assess that is by getting the speakers out of the cab (very carefully), giving them a good looking over, check them for coil rub, loose spider supports, and any other issues, fire them up at high volume to see if they sound good. If you don't do that you might get lucky and find they are the minority of speakers out there that are still genuinely perfect, but more likely in my experience there will be at least something wrong with them. Such as damage to the cones, failing glue at the dustcap or spider support, coil rub, - those are the most common issues, or maybe they just plain don't sound very good. But you can also find issues such as over-exerted cones, dead speaker, frozen cone, shifted magnet, amateur repairs, the list is endless really. They are made from paper and glue, 50yrs old, and often owned by idiots who think it's cool to paint them or stick a screwdriver or speaker bolt through them etc. Got to check them over to know their real value. Don't expect them all to just be perfect, most are not.

CptZar and Dogs of Doom like this.
  9. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

All of the above +1