Selling a Modded Amp

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by KraftyBob, Jan 28, 2021.

1. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have an Egnater Tweaker 15 Head that I repaired (bad OT) and was initially planning to keep. I then did the snubber cap mod and it did open up the tone quite a bit so I left it.

I've now decided to sell the amp as I want to do a Tweed Deluxe 5E3 build but I don't know how the average person feels about buying a modded amp? Do I leave it as is or replace the caps I took out? Do I even mention the mod, let alone the OT replacement? Not intending to be misleading, I just don't know what I should or should not include in the description?

I spend a lot of time looking at used amps online to buy and repair, and maybe once in a blue moon I'll see one that's been modded. I have to believe there are more modded amps out there, but who really knows?

I'm certainly fine including the details in my description if that's appropriate, but if not, I don't want to push away potential buyers that don't understand the snubber cap mod and discount the amp just because of that.

Old Punker likes this.
  2. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Estero, Florida formerly from Indianapolis
    Tell them about your upgrades and repairs. Some like it that you've improved from stock, and that they don't have to worry about a potential OT problem in the future

3. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

Legitimate repairs are fine, but I won't buy anything that has been modified. When I purchase new or used, I want the item to perform just as it did when it left the manufacturer's facility.

Old Punker and Edgar Frog like this.
  4. C-Grin

C-Grin Well-Known Member

Well if putting the bad OT gets you more money then put it back in :D

thetragichero and Old Punker like this.
  5. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

I would be totally straight forward with the repair and mod. A repair is one thing but mods are another. I would explain what the mod does to make things clear to potential buyers. I wouldn't say it improves the amp because "upgrade mods" are totally subjective. I wouldn't buy a modified amp myself and I'd be upset if I found out after the fact that the amp I bought wasn't what I intended to buy.

A lot of people (including myself) buy certain amps for the way they originally sound and never intend on modding. Also, not everyone has confidence in people's quality of work either when it comes to mods. I'm in that camp as well. Then you have the other side that may be looking for a specific amp with a specific mod already done to avoid having to do it themselves and don't even put any thought into the quality of the job. Everyone's different that's why full transparency is important.

Old Punker likes this.
  6. KraftyBob

You bring up a good point, Edgar. While I'm confident in my work, the person buying the amp doesn't know me and could be suspect of the mod. With that, I'm heavily leaning towards putting the caps back in. I'll also let them know the OT was replaced with a ClassicTone.

Thanks for the feedback all.

7. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

I'll echo the "just be upfront." When I bought my 2204 I knew that it had been hot-rodded, and I just wanted to play it for a little while to make sure I liked it. The seller was fine with that and actually let me hang out with the amp for an afternoon and really put it through its paces. When I've sold stuff that's non-original I try to be as straightforward as I can about what's been done, and if it's something that has to be shipped I tell the buyer that as long as they're willing to pay return shipping I'll give them a refund less the shipping cost to get it to them. I don't want the sale to be strictly "test drive my gear on my shipping dime," but I also don't want them to feel like they're stuck with a piece of gear that just isn't going to work for them.

neikeel likes this.
  8. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

The average newbie guy with money who reads a lot of “info” on the web might jump. I wouldn’t give 15 cents for any amp that’s been modified unless I personally know the seller and or tech that did the work.

9. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a problem buying a modded amp as long as the mods were researchable. Same with replacement parts as long as they are quality parts. I would want to see the pics of the mods just to make sure they weren't done shoddily.

10. KraftyBob

Good points. There's a lot online about the snubber mod for the Tweaker and I have pics of the replacement OT - a ClassicTone 40-18087, 20W OT so it's a good unit - better than the original.

I am going to re-install the caps and reverse the snubber mod though. I don't want to risk that affecting someone buying it.

pedecamp likes this.
  11. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

Agreed, I actually search for modded amps and want to know the why, what the mod does, any documentation (what was replaced, and what was it replaced with), and pics. (can you solder? or are you like me where my solder joints look like a WWII bombing raid with bent wires and blobs of solder everwhere). If it is a popular mod, it may take a little more time, but you may just get a bit more $$$ for the right buyer. In essense, I want to be able to tell my local amp tech EXACTLY what was done to it if I ever have an issue.

Old Punker likes this.
  12. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself. :agreed:

13. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

14. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

leave it modded of it sounds better, just include what you did in the listing and what it improved

15. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Tell them about the mod and have them play it and decide with their ears.