SC20C or H: what am I getting for the ticket price?

Calebz

Reaction score
Yes in that case loop is left ON all the time. Turn up volume a touch. Not an issue unless you switch loop off and on between songs. Not footswitchable. So just leave it on like I do.
And boost in loop.
When I'm playing live, I make a point to crawl around through the backline between each song to engage/disengage the loop.

How else would I find something to bitch to marshall about? 😄

pedecamp

Reaction score

Justin Whitstine

Reaction score
Maybe not what you asked for, but anyhow: If you have to pay $ 1750 for SC20H, or $ 1950 for SC20C, in the US, why not buy the 100W 2203 JCM 800 from Europe for $ 1550 (it's got a mains switch)?

Music Store might still sell Marshall to the US: https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/USD/Marshall-2203-JCM-800-Reissue-Head-100-Watts/art-GIT0004239-000
I wanted to do this but was afraid I would get hit with import taxes/duty. And wasn't sure what the amount of that would be.

Mjh36

Reaction score
I wanted to do this but was afraid I would get hit with import taxes/duty. And wasn't sure what the amount of that would be.
I've contacted a few places in Europe recently, including Musicstore.com, to buy a Marshall 4x12 shipped to the USA and it's a no-go. They all seem to have contracts that they can't sell Marshall stuff to the USA.

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've contacted a few places in Europe recently, including Musicstore.com, to buy a Marshall 4x12 shipped to the USA and it's a no-go. They all seem to have contracts that they can't sell Marshall stuff to the USA.

So they closed that possibility. That's a pity.

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Save your money and get a DSL40CR. Sounds just as good as is even more versatile.
I had that amp and sold it. I've had the two DSL401's, a DSL, TSL, JVM... something about all the post 90's DSL's/JVM's never sounded right to me. Plus, the 40CR was a beast to carry. I even have a 5 watt Slash SL5, and I can't carry that thing, it's like 60 lbs, or might as well be. But, I can certainly see why you would suggest that model, it's very popular.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My understanding was always that the entire reason Marshalls are so much more expensive in the US than the UK is because of the shipping costs to the US. Which is probably overly obvious for me to point out.

I was looking at current Marshall gear at Sweetwater.com recently. I paid $900 for a new 1960AV 4x12 A cab in 2006. Today the retail price is $1,900. :eek: For anyone who has plenty of gear pre-inflation, it's hard to pay the prices on really anything now, it all just seems like a waste of money at this point. I can't see how new players can afford a good guitar and amp, let alone intermediates who want to upgrade to something like a Les Paul, Marshall half stack and a pedalboard.

GregM

Reaction score
My understanding was always that the entire reason Marshalls are so much more expensive in the US than the UK is because of the shipping costs to the US. Which is probably overly obvious for me to point out.

I was looking at current Marshall gear at Sweetwater.com recently. I paid $900 for a new 1960AV 4x12 A cab in 2006. Today the retail price is $1,900. :eek: For anyone who has plenty of gear pre-inflation, it's hard to pay the prices on really anything now, it all just seems like a waste of money at this point. I can't see how new players can afford a good guitar and amp, let alone intermediates who want to upgrade to something like a Les Paul, Marshall half stack and a pedalboard.
Probably because alot of new players are gen xers who picked it up , or repicked it up at the start of the pandemic ...

SuperFleeky

Reaction score
If I go with this, what exactly am I getting? I know it's not hand wired, but am I getting the equivalent of a DSL40 type combo with a Dell motherboard inside? I want better quality than that, but I don't know what that would be. But I also don't want another [email protected] computer amp.

Tnx.
I can't speak to the electronic components used between the DSLs and the SC20s, but I can tell you that the SC20H (I owned and sold the SC20C; just sounded really small on a stage, but fine for home/rehearsal use) sounds far tighter, punchier, and less fizzy than any of the DSLs. I had a DSL40 for years, and still have a DSL5 (for really quiet scenarios), and yeah... no question, the tones out of the SC20h are in a whole different league than anything I get out of DSLs. Totally worth it if you play them fairly loud (which I do on stage).

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Off topic maybe, but this is what I see when I look for Gibson LP Standard 50's GT, (US made product):
US, $ 2699: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Standard-50s-Electric-Guitar-Gold-Top-1500000274112.gc
EU, $ 2035: https://www.thomannmusic.com/gibson_les_paul_standard_50s_gt.htm?reload=1

WesChilton

Reaction score
Its called price gouging. They have laws against that sort of thing in other countries... but not here.

purpleplexi

Reaction score

Calebz

Reaction score
Sounds like I need to start a French 'second hand' marshall shop for my American friends😄

(My sc20 was about $950 - 5 months ago)

Conghaille

Reaction score
I’d say it’s about expectation. Ive owned both and didn’t like either. To me they are the kind of amps where you can see where they were going, but they missed by too much (if you are expecting Plexi or JCM800 Tones).

if it must say Marshall and you have a price ceiling, I agree that the DSL40C/R is the way to go. It’s overwhelmingly their most popular amp and I‘ve seen it on stages for years. As for negatives, the main problem is the speaker. that Seventy/80 is hot garbage. Swap in a creamback, etc and it’s a joy, or better still, run it into a 2x12 cab. as for the weight, I picked up a head cab for mine and turned the C into an H and ditched 25 lbs.

ken361

Reaction score
I’d say it’s about expectation. Ive owned both and didn’t like either. To me they are the kind of amps where you can see where they were going, but they missed by too much (if you are expecting Plexi or JCM800 Tones).

if it must say Marshall and you have a price ceiling, I agree that the DSL40C/R is the way to go. It’s overwhelmingly their most popular amp and I‘ve seen it on stages for years. As for negatives, the main problem is the speaker. that Seventy/80 is hot garbage. Swap in a creamback, etc and it’s a joy, or better still, run it into a 2x12 cab. as for the weight, I picked up a head cab for mine and turned the C into an H and ditched 25 lbs.
Had a dsl the studios are better sounding. The classic sound.Still a cool amp it just has those highs that are kinda of a turn off.

Last edited:

Conghaille

Reaction score
Had a dsl the studios are better sounding. The classic sound.

For me, the SC isn't close enough to the real 800--too gainy and modern--and has no usable clean. The SV demands an attenuator to get its tonal range without blasting volume, and I've never played an attenuator that didn't darken the tone.

So for $2500 + $500+ (for an attenuator) you can get both for the functional range of that $700 DSL. Or not.

In any case, I owned my DSL long before the SC and SV, expecting they would replace my DSL, but after months of comparisons, those are gone and I've still got my DSL. It's actually become my baseline. Amp has to be better than that to me to be worth buying. A LOT have failed.

Latest posts