>

SC20/SV20 clean settings for distortion pedal taking?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by TheToneDig, Sep 21, 2021.

1. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

What would you do with a SV20/SC20 if you wanted another distortion tone using a pedal? I am not asking about boosting or overdriving the tone but about using them as a clean channel and adding a pedal for distortion.

Let's say you have a distortion pedal with some tone control on it.

You have low and high input for the SC20. Which one?

You have four input choices (without even jumping combinations) on the SV20. What there?

What about EQ on the first trial run? Noon all the amp EQs or all on 0? Dial the amp to taste or stick with the pedal?

What about the Master volume? To the point of breakup or before?

What gain level?

Now for the final question. Which amp is the 'better' distortion pedal taker? Obviously, this will be somewhat subjective but I guess what we are trying to do is mostly hear the pedal influence and less of the amp itself. I suppose in some situations we may even want the amps power tube influence.

Anyway, these are questions I have. Would like to hear people's opinions here.

Thanks!

2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I don’t use my SC20 that way. In the high sensitivity input, I use a Sd1 and/or a Maxon Od9 as clean boosts, with the amp already slightly overdriven,… but NOT clean.

Also I have an eq pedal in the loop that’s always on, and a TC Spark boost that is used with single coils mostly.

I’m in the high sensitivity channel all the time, but l’ve heard some here say they use the super clean low sensitivity input with pedals.

3. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

Setting for a clean pedal platform:

On the SV20 use the normal channel input with the bright channel volume on 10. Use the normal channel volume as your volume control.

On the SC20 use the low input. Start with the preamp control at 1:00 and set the master to the level you like. Adjust the preamp control to taste based on the guitar and how you use its volume control. The higher the preamp control the fuller/more compressed it will sound.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  4. mustafa

mustafa Member

I use my SV20C as a clean pedal platform. Jumper the channels (Normal Low to Treble High). Plug guitar into Normal High. Control your volume with Normal Volume and add Treble Volume just a tiny bit to balance the darkness of the normal channel. EQ settings including Presence around 12 o'clock with minor adjustments if needed. I also use a JHS Little Amp Box in the loop as a Master Volume.

5. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

5150 pedal works great in the low input SC

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

SC20 low input is clean. To get SV20 clean I jumper the channels and put the treble channel on 2 and the normal channel on 7. Either amp will do fine with a distortion pedal, one isnt better than the other just a little different thats all. You own both amps, what do you think?

7. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

I am curious, why would you want to use a $1,500 amp as a pedal platform? Do you not like the tone/distortion that your SC20/SV20 produces? :scratch:

8. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

I :wub: the tones they produce.

I am just wondering how distortion pedals can be used with them. :slash:

I have the Origin for my pedal platform.

I want to learn how people who put a distortion pedal in front for a different tone do that because there are quite a few variables involved especially with the multiple inputs.

What I read was low input, gain down to one, Master vol before the breakup and let the pedal do the rest. However that was just one way as I wanted to read what people themselves had experienced.

As you can see there is quite a bit of variation in what people are doing.

9. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

I have both amps and love em but I would never use the low input on either amp. Plenty of headroom to set gain low and get dirt from boxes unless you are really juicing em

10. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I've not been able to really crank my SV but I doubt that there's enough gain to play real sustaining leads without a pedal. Or two..... There again it's a great amp for setting for crunchy rhythms and adding a pedal for leads. Doubt you can go very far wrong however you set it for that style. Just a question of personal taste.

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

I usually set my SV20 to be a not-so-clean pedal platform. I plug into normal high and jumper to the low input of high treble channel. This lets me turn up the high treble volume a bit more to get past the action of the treble bleed cap. I set normal volume at 3 and high treble volume at 6. This gives me a nice full range crunch, and then I add pedals when I want more drive or different colors of drive.

12. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

Don’t discount acoustic gain. It might not give you the harmonic content you want but it can give you plenty of sustain.

13. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Y
    Yeah that's what I'm hoping to find when I get to wind it up. There is a way - a friend has a big space I can try. Laziness really.

14. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Active Member

I've had a bunch of Marshalls, spanning 30+ years, and I'm sure my hearing damage plays a part: ("What? What was that, Sonny??!?"), BUT my SV20 head is by far my favorite! It is HUGELY loud, depending on how it's setup; I use it with twin 212 vertical cabs. I set the amp up with a slight bump on the Mids, basically noon across the board, then try different combinations, and vary the two channel knobs. Try it: seems to work even at lower volumes, and REALLY SINGS in configs #2 and #3, below. Setting #1 with a slight boost (work the volume knob) is reminiscent of Hendrix and a LOT of others from that era.
    1. I jumper the Head from Hi Treble to Hi Normal input. I can change the character of my sound like I had multiple different Marshall amps; for this I use no pedal (nice loud crunch tone, cleans up with the guitar volume knob.
    2. More Overdrive from a TC Electronic Spark (heard about it on the forum)
    3. Total fat mid-rangy Overdrive, using a Marshall Guv'nor II; doesn't clean up well, but this one is modded to avoid the stock ear-piercing, aural ice pick sounds, and works very well (the tone is divided up as: Deep, Bass, Midrange, Treble).
    I look forward to buying another SV20H, or an SC20H perhaps when I wrangle (work for) the money.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Mark Collier and gregr like this.
  15. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

It could be that I've always done something wrong, but I find that distortion boxes sound best with NMV amps. Anytime I've tried one w/a MV amp, I'm left very dissatisfied (that includes my SC20). With a MV amp, I go for the tones out of the amp itself, whereas w/a NMV amp, I'm more inclined to play around and see what I can get out of it otherwise.

16. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

You are describing like you might be in need of a preamp circuit pedal going through the front end, unlike an OD..

17. crossroadsnyc

No, I'm talking about "distortion" pedals ... I've never had a problem with an OD pedal.

junk notes likes this.
  18. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

exactly. Not talking about OD's. Have you tried what I had previously described? Some players, that I know, use it as an 'always-on'.

19. crossroadsnyc

I'm really happy with what I have, so I'm not in the market to go in another direction.

20. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

It’s easy to turn a MV amp into a NMV amp: run the volume on ten. There are no buts about it.

So with an SC turn the volume all the way up and use the low input. If that doesn’t work run your distortion pedal into a preamp pedal into the FX return. It’s complete blasphemy, unless you’re running 4CM.

Out of curiosity, which pedals are you using?