SC20 or SV20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Hebaton, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Bodhi F. Dharma

Bodhi F. Dharma New Member

The JTM45 will give you the tone you want but you will have to crank it so you’re back to the same situation again. I would try the studio classic. It’s worth a shot, it may just work for you. Another Marshall that might get you in the zone is the vintage modern. Or pardon my blasphemy (?) but Orange makes some great amps with master volumes and plenty of tone.
    The tiny terror is a beast through a 2 x 12 cab. You can make it sound like anything from mid-60s through 80s. Just a thought. I own Marshalls (JTM45, JCM800, Vintage Modern, SV20) and Oranges (Tiny terror, Rocker 30) and usually turn to the Orange amps when I need to play quiet but still want fat ass tone. It is true the marshals sound best when cranked. The good news is that you have plenty of choices. It wasn’t so back in the day.

2. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Active Member

Ok, my $.02
    I have and use an SV20H, with a pair of Origin 212a cabs. I use an OD in front, and a Weber MiniMass 50w attenuator on the output.
    I use treble-bleed volumes on all my guitars, 2 LPs, an Explorer and a PRS. I have the best and most controllable sound I've ever had, at low, middle, and ow ow ow Volumes.
    Have you jumpered the SV20H inputs? What a treat those amps are! And yes, crank em up and use an attenuator.
    Recently at practice, my band mates have asked me to turn up the guitar, which I didn't do. I used the MiniMass line out into the monitor mix, and it AGAIN sounds great, no eq-ing on it (yet).
    Just my opinion, YMMV

3. Ori

Ori New Member

I have both of them, both are great, if you could get an attenuator go for the sv and thats it.
    It nails the acdc tone perfectly.
    The sc is much much brighter. Has tones of bite because of it...

ken361 and tce63 like this.
  4. peterplexi

peterplexi Active Member

5. peterplexi

peterplexi Active Member

Definitely the SC. Then just roll down the volume for a variety of gain levels!

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Isn't that the truth!

I don't know how old you are, but I remember buying in the late 60s and 70s when guitar players had only a handful of choices available.

tce63 likes this.
  7. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Interesting, I don't find the SC to be much brighter than the SV, if any.

8. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

A difference in signal chain and volume preference.

tce63 likes this.
  9. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Got tone pots on the axe and amp for that brother: Better to have highs on tap when needed. ;-)

Chris-in-LA and tce63 like this.
  10. LargeBoxSmallBox

LargeBoxSmallBox Well-Known Member

I hear a lot of people raving on the SV20, and it's true, it is a great sounding amp. I had both the SV and the SC. I have always preferred 4-input Marshalls, and own a number of them. However, the SC20 kicks some major butt, and it super similar to the SV20 in tone. I don't find it to be "icepicky" at all. I did change out the tubes in mine, and that removed some of what I perceived as a bit of harshness, and made the amp 'creamier'. I found the SC20 got my yaya's out better than the SV20, to my surprise. Note that I am still a 4-input amp guy, it's just that the SC20 seriously throws down. I just love that amp. It's good to note that it is not a high gain amp. But man, it rocks! As has been stated in this thread, the master volume provides loads of tone variations, all of them awesome. It's a great amp!

11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Man you sound like me LBSB! :lol:

I feel the same way about the SC20, even more so, it really does it all for me!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    LargeBoxSmallBox and tce63 like this.
  12. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

“LargeBoxSmallBox”

That’s a great handle man! It’s how I like my cabs and women, in that specific order. :cheers:

LargeBoxSmallBox and tce63 like this.
  13. Trapland

Trapland Running Into Walls Silver Supporting Member

The SC20 also gets that creamy saturation and much of its gain by turning it up. You may get to play quieter, but the tone and feel you seem to want still comes from getting the output valves and phase inverter into distortion. One thing to note, when you get the SC20 up to 6-7 on the master volume, it cleans up to a lovely chime with the guitar volume. The SV20 does too but it’s surprising how versatile the 6 knob JCM800 is.

scozz likes this.
  14. Trapland

Trapland Running Into Walls Silver Supporting Member

Or an SV20 and a Marshall Powerbrake. Thats what I do. I also reworked the amp to be closer to a 67-68ish plexi. Still no master volume. Played through the same cabinet it’s close enough to my original 68 plexi that I don’t feel he need to bring the vintage amp out much. I like both the SV and SC, but own the SV and use an attenuator. The SC was just as loud when it was in the “cream” zone.

15. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

Good post. I've been undecided on picking between the two. I've looked at the info for both on Marshall's website, and I've played through both in a local music store, but it's been awhile so I need to go back. They usually have a decent selection of Marshalls on hand but sometimes they are heavy on the ones from Vietnam because most of their customers don't come in and fork out the cash for a rig from Blechtley.

16. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Active Member

Just got caught up on this good thread: As someone mentioned about the SC20, rolling the volume control on the SV20H (especially with treble-bleed equipped guitars): it's like changing guitar/amp rigs in the middle of a song!
    Here's the rig; I sent the left Origin 212a cabinet back because the grille-clothe was a bit too greenish looking (??!?) and the gold piping at the bottom was crooked and twisted (!!!!?). New one arrives tomorrow.

Talk about fussy; but hey, I'm paying for it, shouldn't it be at least closer if not right on the money?? Speaking of money: I paid $267.49 out the door all included, tax, shipping, you name it. GC points coupon, 15% in addition; they did a straight swap out for the new one. Can't say enough good stuff about the 70/80 speakers; sound really really good.

For the first time in my life, I haven't changed one thing on this amp/speakers combo! All I did was add the Weber Minimass; I play on the 5 watt setting, in a moderately loud band, attenuator set about 1:00 O'clock. On stage in a larger club, I'll have PLENTY of available headroom.

Seriously considering another head, and another 1936 cabinet like the one in the cover underneath... what a look, what a sound, and still reasonably easy to carry, fit on a club stage, etc.!
    For a 70 year old.

marshall-sv20-rig.jpg

17. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Waiting on/for BF or CM deals to make it easy..