Say it ain't so Joe

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by GregM, Apr 17, 2021.

1. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Just read fender stopped making its player series ( mim) in early 2020?
    Is that accurate?
    I kinda wanted one of those teles :(

2. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

They just rename stuff and/or slightly tweak it

Something similar will always be available

3. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Check out the used gear on the internet.

Toys usually appear when you least expect.

El Gringo and Maggot Brain like this.
  4. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

They are still available new in my part of the world but only just it would seem.
    Still have 2 amp payments to pay off plus 4 sewing machine payments for the Mrs ( trying to be a Lil fair between her toys and mine) so it wasn't top of my bill, but this is scaring me

trax1139 likes this.
  5. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Fender discontinued the Classic Player series. The Player series is still in production.

If you wanted one of the Classic Players, some of them are still made as part of the Vintera series.

crossroadsnyc and GregM like this.
  6. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

It looks like they stopped making their American vintage series a while back too. They were making them for about 40 years with a few upgrades along the way.

7. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

This is so confusing ... and it's the reason I no longer even look at Fender guitars. I have no idea what I'm even looking at anymore. They have a niche for everyone, and it excludes everyone.

8. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

yep. seems every extra $100 you add there is something new to be had.
    wish they would focus more on their amp line.
    i still say best bang for the buck American fender was the HW1 line.

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  9. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Fender had a great lineup for a good 8 or 10 years, and now they gone and screwed the pooch. The first stupid move they done did is they sent the $850 USA lineup to Mexico, turned 'em into cheaper MIM models, and upped the payola. Nothing against the MIM's, but don't try passing MIM's off as USA's. I just bought a MIM Vintera Strat, at a USA price of $1,050. For $1,050 you can get any guitar made a lot better than these. My fault for assuming and not paying closer attention. You can bet I won't be congratulating Fender on their new $1,000 MIM price point. To further my opinion, it hardly seems you can get a top USA Fender for under $1,500 anymore, and sorry, but the the new $200+ ballistic ABS plastic case doesn't supersede the previously always more-than-adequate tweed or black leather-style case. Are most players dropping their Fender guitars out of planes now? WTF? Blow-molded ABS plastic is much less expensive than sewn tweed, so there's anther cost cutter passed on to the consumer (not).

I will say this though: generally, when you pay good money for a Fender, you're getting your money's worth. In over 25 years I've hardly found a flawed neck. We always had a WAY harder time justifying that with Gibson.

But ultimately, you can try to say, "well compared to 1959 a good guitar cost $350, so accounting for inflation means the same price today should be $X,XXX, I disagree. It actually costs slightly more than dried Arizona cow's ass today to make what they made back in 1959.

Ultimately, good quality musical instruments, in general, are becoming unaffordable.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  10. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I also think Fender's line up is confusing and becoming overpriced. I remember when the USA Strats were around $850-$900 and the MIM line were around the $500 mark. That made Fenders really appealing compared to Gibsons $1,200+ mark at the time. Now the MIM are costing around $1,000 and USA models around $1,500 is just a little rich in my opinion. I honestly think $1,000 is the sweet spot for a MIA guitar, specially a Fender and now with Fenders confusing lineup it just becomes overwhelming. I've only ever bought 1 brand new Fender guitar and that was my first "real" guitar, all my Fenders I ever owned after that were all secondhand.

A buddy of mine grab one of those Gibson Les Paul Studios when they could give them away a few years ago... It's a nice guitar but doesn't feel any more Gibson or quality than the cheaper Epiphone equivalent... A pity.

I imagine it's actually fairly cheap to produce guitars with today's technology yet they keep cutting cost, selling the case extra and then they aren't true old school hard cases but cheap plastic ones.... I would love to buy more "NEW" gear but the prices and value just don't seem there to me.

We are reaching a new era of affordable gear made in China, the production quality as of late from China has been quite impressive if not getting on par with US production... One day Made in China will be respected just as Made in Japan became to be... just my thoughts...

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  11. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

i hope im dead and gone before..............

Maggot Brain likes this.
  12. Vinsanitizer

+1

13. Vinsanitizer

Balls-on. :yesway:
    Given that I think your MIC comment is a nod to cheapness. Otherwise, I misunderstood.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  14. Maggot Brain

Yeah in a sense, I personally believe 98% of items being manufactured in China is straight junk but I can't deny i have seen some impressive quality with Chinese made guitars. I have a classical guitar, hand made in China, it wasn't super cheap but about half the price had it been made anywhere else and the quality is impeccable. I am extremely impressed with my Epiphone I recently got and I've owned a few Chinese made Squires that were impressive too. I've checked out and picked up and examined quite a lot of Chinese guitars since I started playing 18 years ago... Now any guitar made in China back then was laughably poor quality, I cringed at the first Squires and Epiphones I picked up my first years of playing the guitar, I was a n00b but I could still how piss poor the craftsmanship was even then.

Maybe stating it will be respected was a poor choice of words but Chinese products will continue to improve and some items are already impressive today, especially compared to 15-20+ years ago.

This is coming from someone that avoids MIC every possible chance, a lot of my belongings are vintage/antique... Even my shaving razor I use everyday is from the 60s, Gillette made in the good ol U S o'Merica.

I will also say that MIA isn't always garunteed quality either in my experience, both new and old but mostly new... I also personally prefer MIJ for guitars and cars... Thr US automotive heyday was the 50s and 60s, my favorite cars but to get to work and back I go Japan...

Back on topic, Fender needs to revamp and simplify it's guitar line asap.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  15. Vinsanitizer

Not even I would say Chinese products are all bad, some great stuff comes from there. But I'm mostly referring to anything once made in the USA, especially made from US design and ingenuity now being "cheapened" by overseas mfg. For example, a Fender guitar being made anywhere other than the USA where it originated, now being mfg'd overseas and passed off as a USA-ish product. Yeah, "get used to it", I get that the world is becoming one socialized unit, but it still sucks.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  16. Maggot Brain

Oh I agree 100%!

I often thrift, pick and comb thru antique stores. I am pretty burnt out on nearly EVERYTHING being made in China. I try to find my daily items, furniture, appliances, electronics, utensils, cookware and whatever else I can that is vintage made in the US. Often I can find a vintage US made products second hand for much cheaper than shiney brand new Chinese produced garbage... Then there is the whole ethical thing too, I won't get into it but I worked with guy who him and his wife were from China. His wife worked/lived in a factory and told me many stories of the appalling conditions she worked.

Vinsanitizer likes this.