Saw Tommy Emmanuel in Atlanta last night

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Adwex, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Adwex

Adwex New Member

Went to see Austrailian acoustic guitar master Tommy Emmanuel last night in Atlanta as a birthday present. I happened to be working not far from there, so an old girlfriend who lives in the area got us tickets. It was the 4th time I've seen him live, and the 2nd time at this venue.

[​IMG]

HOLY CRAP, what an incredible show!! Tommy is an unbelievable guitar player, musician, and all around lively entertainer. If you ever get the chance to see him, you WILL NOT be disappointed, I HIGHLY recommend seeing him.

Sorry, I couldn't take any live vids or pics.

2. drriff

drriff Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've seen vids of Tommy and he is absolutely amazing.
    What an awesome birthday present!

3. Adwex

Adwex New Member

I'm tellin' ya, the guy is super human. Absolutely incredible playing chops, boundless enthusiasm and energy, and funny delivery too. He can shred the fucking hell out of an acoustic guitar, then in the next bar he can play a beautiful lilting melody with delicate touch. With a big smile on his face the whole time.

4. Nudge68

Nudge68 Well-Known Member

He's a nice guy too. His brother Phil is also a monster player. Seeing those two together on electrics was a sight to behold :thumb:

Cheers,

Matt.

5. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Tommy plays the big Winfield, Kansas music festival every September. I posted here about him a while back and urged others to do a search on him. I've seen him five times and his shows are always packed. He runs his electro-acoustic through an effects unit and can get some ungodly sounds out of a guitar. While playing, he taps on different parts of the guitar body to get a rhythm going. He is a master at playing a bass line and a melody at the same time. His Beatle's covers are awesome.

Here is a Winfield favorite.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J642mgHFajY]TOMMY EMMANUEL : House of the rising sun - YouTube[/ame]

Thumping out some Hendrix.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd3-NncMDPM]Tommy Emmanuel: "Purple Haze". Reddit request . - YouTube[/ame]

Bad IPhone recording of some big chops.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7IQM2L8Kpc]Tommy Emmanuel Showing Off - YouTube[/ame]

He also does an instrumental (can't remember the title) that sounds like Pink Floyd, but it's just one guy playing.

6. Giblespaul2001

Giblespaul2001 Active Member

Sounds like Estaban. ;).

7. Viking62

Viking62 Well-Known Member

Fantastic guitarist and yes he and his brother Phil together on electrics WOW! saw them in Brisbane 25 years ago.... extraordinary!!!!

MartyStrat54 and Nudge68 like this.