Satriani vs Vai?

dragonvalve

Reaction score
I like JoSat's performance. Always has a soul to it.

levitation.gif

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I like 'em both, but, I think I'll go w/ Vai too...

He says more, in a condensed version. His whammy work is always stellar. Joe seems to take a bit long to say what he's trying to say (w/ his guitar). If the song was more than a simple drum machine & sequenced progression repeating over & over, his approach might come off better, but, Vai seemed to get straight to the point & get out, not leaving you wanting more. Kind of like what Anitoli alluded to. When's he going to get there?, but he (Satch) doesn't seem to get out of 1st gear.

I didn't feel that way w/ Vai...

dragonvalve

Reaction score
Here's something interesting guitar players talking about genres and themselves.

Derek S

Reaction score
I love me some Vai but just in live settings, I much prefer Satriani's compositions/music. Vai is an incredible live artist, I can watch him for hours when I want to geek out with guitar nonsense, he's totally in command and one with the instrument and crowd, a natural showman...but I just don't bond with his "songs" as much as Satch. Joe speaks more to me and makes statements with memorable lines and the interesting progressions he lays out to play them over.

Buzzard

Reaction score
Some of these guys come across as total asshats.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
I don't care for either of them in studio recordings. Live, they're both incredible. I think of the two I prefer Vai overall. I think he's a bit more talented and versatile, has more weopons at his disposal. But I think that Satch has a bit better tone most of the time, more organic and gutsy. Slight nod to Vai.

Latest posts