Safe to crank a Marshall Silver Jubilee ?

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I was not able to go past double 7's on both output master and lead master and got what you talk about . I also believe it has a lot to do with the size of the room . Now having said that IMHO anything past double 5's which is where I normally operate is massively call the cops loud , which for me is the sweetspot for my set up .

I find I like the sound at 5 better than 6 or 7. I generally dislike poweramp distortion but i like when it starts to compress.

El Gringo

Reaction score
I find I like the sound at 5 better than 6 or 7. I generally dislike poweramp distortion but i like when it starts to compress.
We are thinking alike , as I love the compression . Also I don't need any overdrive /distortion pedals . Generally speaking you can only go so high on the volume before that mush appears , which is not good tone .

El Gringo

Reaction score
If it wasnt safe they wouldnt make the dials to go to 10, but putting an amp on 10 may not always produce the best sound but can handle it. If yours sounds good on 10 by all means put it there!
Out of curiosity talking about too much volume , if you use more speaker cabs could that offset the mush /yuck tone of going to 10 ? Or is it the same effect except with the sound coming out of more cabs and speakers . I hope my question makes sense ?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Out of curiosity talking about too much volume , if you use more speaker cabs could that offset the mush /yuck tone of going to 10 ? Or is it the same effect except with the sound coming out of more cabs and speakers . I hope my question makes sense ?
I use 2x12's so I rightly cant say about anything else.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score

I noticed that by adding my second 4x12 I could push the amp a little harder. It seems like the extra speakers move a lot more air though.

dptone5

Reaction score
I use a Suhr Reactive Load IR with my 1990 Jubilee 2555. My Suhr is rated at 100 Watts. I push the amp with Xotic OD's and generally run the master volume at "7" when recording. For me, that is the sweet spot on the Jubilee and I've had no issues with the Suhr or the amp.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I use a Suhr Reactive Load IR with my 1990 Jubilee 2555. My Suhr is rated at 100 Watts. I push the amp with Xotic OD's and generally run the master volume at "7" when recording. For me, that is the sweet spot on the Jubilee and I've had no issues with the Suhr or the amp.

You really liking the Suhr? I have heard that the reactive loads sound way better. Thinking about getting one.

dptone5

Reaction score
Absolutely love it. My friend has a Kemper and we've done comparisons between the tone I can get with my Jubilee or 800 through the Suhr to some of his really good Marshall profiles, and I will take the Suhr any day.

Sounds very authentic and I love the fact that I can load 3rd party IR's into the unit very easily. I have some Celestions and Ownhammer's that I really like, but my favorite is the Suhr 4x12 Greenback cab (HiGn with a 57 and 121).

It's is nearly identical to my beloved Marshall 1960BX with Greenbacks. And for recording, it makes it so enjoyable at computer monitor volumes.

EL 34

Reaction score
I used to jam in a warehouse professional studio and we played loud and I practiced louder. I had my Marshalls cranked for hours. The UK Marshalls are indestructible.

One of mine was biased too cold and it smoked a bit once. I turned it off to cool for a bit and powered it up and continued jamming. I looked at the circuitboard later and no issues.

My Marshalls have power tube saturation around 4 master volume. After that they all sound generally the same.

I use a wah and clean boost, mostly bypassed and my 1987 was so loud to keep up with the band that it couldn't produce cleans. 100W is needed in a band.

Last edited:

Latest posts