Running two marshalls in stereo

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Neaves The Wicked, May 11, 2015.

1. Neaves The Wicked

Neaves The Wicked Active Member

:hbang:
    Hey Gang, I'm looking at running my dsl 50 head and jvm410h head in stereo using some kind of aby box. I also plan on using my g-major for stereo effects connecting them via the effects loops. Can anyone recommend a good quality aby without tone loss? I was thinking about the Radial Twin City Bones. Additionally need to know if running a 50 watt and 100 watt amps together would be bad idea?

Thanks, Josh

2. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Run one of your outs from the g-major to the return on the slave head and stay away from the aby box unless you really want to use both heads separately sometimes or unless you want to mix your two amps sounds. Use the send and return on your main amp. This allows you to use the preamp of your main amp and the slave amp helps carry the stereo signal from one side of the g-major.Big stereo sound . I've done it both ways and prefer the non aby box method for a quiet rig. Radial makes some nice boxes if you go that route.

3. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be a problem running diff. wattage amps as long as the speakers are rated for them. The Twin-City is the box I used , the ground lift is a must for the box scenario, and
    that box was decent for the money although there may be better built units out there.

Neaves The Wicked likes this.
  4. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Josh,

I occasionally run my two DSL 100 halfstacks in stereo for the right venue...UNBELIEVABLE sound man...

What I do is just split my guitar's signal off my pedal board using an MXR stereo chorus pedal..in which has three outputs..mono, and then dual stereo jacks.

Works insanely well...zero tone loss...

I do have aby box..a Morely and it sucks...It stays in my 'gear never used' file cabinet...

As far as running the two heads as you mentioned together...no problem..you'll just have to eq them separately for an even mix...no brainer man...

I'm assuming you are using two cabs right?

5. Blacksoulpreacher

Blacksoulpreacher Active Member

Run the effects loop out to a delay multi effects whatever or if you want power amp distortion or using vintage type heads get a Hotplate or equivelant run the line out to delay and seperate power amp leave one head dry. Use about 25 milliseconds delay dial in modulation to taste if at all. I've done this with various power amps / slave heads whatever with fantastic results!

6. Grenade

Grenade Well-Known Member

Ground loop hum sucks. Get a Radial.

7. Neaves The Wicked

Neaves The Wicked Active Member

Thanks for your replies guys! :) Sorry for the delay it's been an insanely busy week!!!!
    DSLMan and Adrian, I'm using a 1960a with x pattern G12T75's and 65 watt Creambacks and 1960a with all Vintage 30's.
    The main reason I asked about the wattage difference was because I tried to run stereo before using a Bandit 112 with a Peavey special 212 and did something wrong when connecting them via the G-Major and fried some components on the bandit 112's board Lol Oops!

8. Grogshla

Grogshla Active Member

get the voodoo amp selector. It is amazing.
    But seriously mixing amps and all that is great fun but not really necessary in real world situations. Only real big bands do it live and most studio recordings are bypassing amps altogether and recording straight into desks (not that i like this).

9. Kladen

Kladen Active Member

There should be no problem in running those together. I've done it this way gtr - boosts ods wah - mkIII 50watt input - effects send to stereo reverb - effects return 100 watt DR and mkIII. I ran the 50 watter through a 100 db cab and the 100 watter through a 97 db cab. This way the 100 watter get the power tubes worked a little :)

10. Jay Low

Jay Low Active Member

I'd absolutely go the master/slave amp route, i.e. using another one of your amps as a preamp and connecting the stereo device to the fx loops.

Ground loops might always occur. Lehle P-split II has become very popular at least here in Europe. I think that Mr Bonamassa is using one, too. You should always be using something like this when operating with two amps at the same time. These should be way more robust and reliable than Radial stuff.

11. supershifter2

supershifter2 Active Member

i have used a standard Y cable many many times. Marshall 2205 stack and Fender Stage 185 amp. adjust the volume of each amp to get the sound you like and then use the volume control(s) on your geetar. Phil Lynott did this with his bass rig. Phil used an Acoustic Control bass head and 408 cabinet and a HiWatt DR201 with a 1960's Fender 2-15 bassman cabinet to get his tone.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxLpjyFrTRE[/ame]

12. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Messing around with stereo again myself, my avatar is my current rig. I'm using two 50w amps ,the Laney is the slave and it is super easy to set up. The Marshall controls everything as far as the sound goes and all the controls on the Laney are not used. If I turn any vol or eq knob on the Marshall, it comes through the power stage of the Laney without me touching it.It keeps a load on the speakers and carries the sound from my stereo delay pedal via the return jack on the laney.
    A good isolated power supply is important to keep down pedal noise,but with the G-Major that may not apply.
    Ground loop buzz is something I can't and won't stand for. It has many sources and I have finally figured it out for my particular situation.
    My rig is dead quiet,but I could never get my G-Major ii /midi/pedals as quiet
    as I wanted. I was also lugging around so much stuff and two 100w DSL's ,everybody was always waiting on me to get setup,however they didn't mind since the sound was really good.
    I think my current rig actually sounds better and it is so much easier to set up,with a couple of lighter heads,a pedal board,and a few cords.
    All situations are a little diff. so just stick with it and you'll figure out what works for you.
    Not sure why you hurt the Peavey ,but it sounds like it may have been a impedance issue. It's hard to hurt something any other way.
    Here is a little clip I like to post of Eric Johnson, kinda old but I have a very similar clean stereo sound,but I worked on it for a long time.In the end ,it's all quite simple so I try to share what little I know when I can. Maybe this clip will inspire you to achieve your stereo dreams as well.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htobScsOB70[/ame]

13. Grogshla

Grogshla Active Member

I think u should be able to do it with a Boss Line Selector stompbox

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  14. Jaymz E

Jaymz E Well-Known Member

When I run two amps together I do the same thing, except I use a EHX stereo memory man instead of the MXR stereo chorus, which I use before the memory man.

15. RobLaQuinta

RobLaQuinta Active Member

I run my JCM 800 2205 and my Carvin MTS 3200 in stereo all the time. Or, at least until I find another 2205 and a 1960A cabinet I like. I use a Boss Stereo chorus into a Boss Stereo Delay and just run both amps continuously. I find the trick is just adjusting the tone and volume so they compliment each other.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the devices mentioned earlier in this thread that use the effects loop.

dslman likes this.
  16. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

The reason I use a slave amp is because ,like you I only have one Marshall and I prefer that sound.The slave method is all Marshall-sound and the the slave amp-in your case would be the 3200.
    Run your Marshall like this guitar>input/front of 2205
    Run your 2205 fx send>stereo pedal input,from stereo pedal out>2205 fx return .That's it for the Marshall,just like running mono/pedals.
    Now ,from the same stereo pedal you also have going to your 2205 return ,use the remaining output and plug into your 3200 fx return.
    Your entire rig is now controled from your 2205 and you don't need to go buy another one,unless you just want to.:hbang:
    If you have a 1960 stereo cab, just set it to stereo and use 8 ohm
    outputs on both heads. Plug into both speaker inputs on your 1960 cab.

RobLaQuinta likes this.
  17. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have ran two amps together in the past with good results, and have been considering trying it in this current band. I have done it with two amps of the same model, mixing different makes/models of amps, switching channels one of the amps only or both amps simultaneously. And also done it using an ABY to switch between or blend. Also have done it using one amps power amp only with one preamp controlling both. The main thing you need to be watch out for is being out of phase between two different amp models.

Right now I am setting up to experiment running two amps together using my MXR Stereo Chorus pedal. Which brings up mu question, which I thought I figured out many years ago.

:D

Will a stereo chorus pedal allow you to run two out of phase amps together?

18. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

I think you will be okay,never ran into an out of phase situation while running in stereo using the slave method. The MXR chorus should work great.
    Ground loop is the only thing that might give some problems to those who are new to running two amps,but I'm sure you have that covered. :yesway:

19. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I ran my home build in stereo with a Peavey Encore 65. It was awesome. But I did have some noise for sure. I plugged the guitar into the MXR Stereo Chorus, the stereo out to the Line 6 DL4 then L & R outs to the amps.

Either both amps were in phase or those pedals eliminate that somehow, as it was OK even when I switched chorus OFF or bypass. But a very odd thing, when I switched in the extra gain stage on my home build amp, the two amps were still not out of phase. This has me puzzled a bit as I have ran into phase problems before running two amps with a different amount of gain stages in the preamp which causes this. For an example, 4 gain stages on one amp mixed with 3 gain stages on the other amp. I am trying to remember the last time. I think it was when I tried mixing the DSL100 and the Jubilee. Can't recall which way it was out of phase, but the Jubilee would only mix with the Green or the Red channel. One of them was out of phase due to the odd mix of gain stages.

20. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Here is a neat article on phase ,this guy ran 6 amps at a time --wow. He mentions the Framptone amp awitcher which has a phase switch to cure it. Like you said RickyLee,it has to do with the preamp and how each amp and channels on the amps use the two parts of the preamp tubes.That explains why I haven't ran into the problem running the slave method as I call it.
    Getting Back In-Phase