RIP Neil Peart

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Micky, Jan 10, 2020.

1. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I'm shocked and saddened. Such an immense talent. I wish the news wasn't true but I'm also glad he's suffering no more.
    RIP NP

ibmorjamn likes this.
  2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

The Drumming is hard to put aside. But if you do , for a moment, the Lyricist stands as high on the list as any …… The subject matter is Thrilling, Thought Provoking, Such a Juxtaposition to the Mundane Norm in Other’s Songs…
    It was never about Hot Chicks, Spend the Night Baby, Party ‘til ya Puke …… It was ( And is ) Ethereal. The whole catalog is History, Teaching, Life Study, Passion for Arts Of All Kinds, Science, Sci-Fi, Demons Of the Material World , and Appreciation of Life … This quality made Rush “Stand Alone” above the rest… Once you couple Neil’s musicianship with his writings there is no one else in modern times that has created such wonder ……

4. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Everybody needs to Elevate from the norm .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  5. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I could never put the drumming aside. It was a huge part of his musicianship. Part of the total musician. Adding that to the lyricist, the composer and the conductor drew me in and captivated me.

Back in the mid 90's when I was a drummer he was the one who showed me that it was more than just keeping time. It was about flow. That and some other key parts when combined started to make sense to me as I realized drums were more than just instruments.

He will be sorely missed...

Mitchell Pearrow and ibmorjamn like this.
  6. snark

snark Active Member

I'm in shock.....This is no way to start 2020! RIP, brother.....

7. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

If any of you younger guys have only heard the "subdivisions" kind of Rush, and that's what you base your opinion of the band on, you all need to check out the 2112 album. I had the vinyl out last night. What a killer album. Awesome concept, excellent writing and playing. And of course Neil Peart just killing it. How he crammed that much in, and always in time is absolutely incredible.

Mitchell Pearrow and Micky like this.
  8. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

I quit listening to them around that time...

Alex stopped using tube amp's & stopped playing bluesy. They went all new wave w/ synthesizers, etc...

My oldest brother bought the 1st Rush album, when it hit local stores here in LA. Obviously, not Neil, but, that's where my listening to Rush started. Then, we got every album thereafter, up until Moving Pictures...

I was looking for his education, as I remember, early on, that there were rumours, that, when Geddy called him "the Professor", that, it was because he had a degree in literature (PHD), but, it seems that I read that he studied it, but didn't have a high degree. He was interested in Ayn Rand & developed philosophical meanderings based on her works & similar, & that crafted what we know as Rush, giving them a more intellectual sort of rock. Not only progressive, in their somewhat busy style, but, deeper lyrical content than "rock n' roll all night & party every day", or "girls, girls, girls"...

In my search, I found this, which is supposedly a quote from him:

upload_2020-1-11_10-5-44.png

I never thought of him as spiritual, or religious, actually, he came across as anti-religious, along w/ his cohorts, but, regardless, that's a pretty inspirational outlook & I hope that he found his peace...

9. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Yea after Moving Pictures was where they lost me as well. Before that was the stuff I grew up with.

Back in high school It Seemed like everytime you'd get together and Jam it was always at the drummers house..which meant you had to play several Rush tunes. Every drummer I knew, of my era idolized Neil Peart, and rightfully so.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

R.I.P. Neil you will be missed.
    But never forgotten.
    And after moving pictures, I too lost track of them .
    But Ibmorjamn, DOD , and I saw them at the Swing , back in the late 70’s, even though we didn’t know one another, we where there.
    UFO was on the bill with them.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  11. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Ghost Rider came along when I was in a very dark place following my divorce, and it definitely played no small part in helping me realize that there is life after loss. I can honestly say that I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't read it.

12. ibmorjamn

When the documentary came out my wife and I had jobs that we were not home but met at the theatre in Riverside off the 15 near the college to see the movie .I talked to several people before going in It was like being at a concert all the fans really knew the band
    stuff .

Last week I watched something on axis tv a thing about 2112 and moving pictures. It was good , those 2 albums pushed them above expectations. Even though the band changed over the years I still listened and bought records up until presto . I might get power windows and roll the bones. I saw some of clock work angles but it was odd I thought then . I might listen again. Anyway with the garbage I have heard on rock radio lately nearly any Rush record would be better.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  13. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

14. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

RIP.

I am truly saddened by Neil's passing.

I knew of his passing within hours of the news release.

I just couldn't put into words or relive this horrible moment.

My mom died of brain cancer in 1989 and I relive the tragedy in my mind every day.

I say good morning to her every morning.

There were times when I'd though she pull through but it was inevitable.

I can just imagine what Neil and his family went through.

Cancer is a very heartbreaking disease.

15. ibmorjamn

I agree on all points axe .:mad2:

16. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Neil, IMO, was a humble guy and the student.

RIP.

liontato and Micky like this.
  17. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Well-Known Member

I am a fan of Rush, found out about them in the early 80s with the singles Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta. In the late 70s, I'd heard of them, but not heard them. So, when I got some money, I joined Columbia House, got Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, and Exiit... Stage Left. Then, one day, went into a record store, saw this grey cover with a white starman on the cover, Archives (the first 3 albums in one package), from the drop of the needle on the first song of the first album, I was hooked! My favorite albums are Caress of Steel and A Farewell to Kings. I've got everything up to Power Windows on vinyl, and the entire catalog on CD.
    RIP Me. Peart, your legacy shall live on in your recorded body of music.

18. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

What happened to his wife and daughter? Things like this put the real important things of life into perspective for all of us.

A guy I used to car pool with died of brain cancer last week too. He was only in his 40's. He left behind a wife and several kids. I knew he had been diagnosed a few years ago and he was doing good as late as last summer. Then things went down hill fast.

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

His first wife died of cancer and his daughter in a car wreck-within a year of each other. Talk about a total mind fuck.

20. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Neil was good.