Rhythm Guitar Bootcamp

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Silverdome, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

I've been working on my rhythm playing lately, trying to get good rock and roll boogies going. Been playing along to a drum machine to a simple boom tap 4/4 drum beat. I can do a 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 Ramones rhythm playing to the ramones power chord all down strums tight in the pocket until the cows come home. Up beats I get a little side ways and I don't have a good Keith Richards right hand. I was watching 70's playing of him and that guy is an absolute master of rhythm. I can play a Stones tune very stiffly but I don't have that feel for the beat like Keith.

To cut to the chase, anyone got some good rhythm work outs to help train your feel for the pulse and how to really dance around the back beat with your rhythm playing? Any books, tools or proven training guides I'm all ears. Thanks!

2. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

A good song for rhythm strumming is Whole Lotta Rosie by AC/DC.
    To play along to the album version you will need to tune down slightly to about A=433Hz.

Here's a pretty good lesson vid.

3. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

Malcom is definitely an influence in my quest for better rhythm playing. His ability to mute those strings and get that thud sound in between the chords is so friggin good. I think the answer for me to improve at this is just slow down the drum beats and really work on getting this stuff right at a slower pace. I appreciate the suggestion and I think your idea is a good one.

4. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

Also, this is a dumb question but what exactly do they mean when they say Malcom plays behind the beat. This is one of those things in life I've always nodded along like I know what it means but honestly I don't know if I could explain it.

Mitchell Pearrow and CraigP like this.
  5. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

To play behind the beat, play a bit late and it should feel like you are leaning backwards on that ball. Again, if you lean too far, you fall off.

https://music.stackexchange.com/que...xt=To play ahead of the,too far, you fall off.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. SkyMonkey

Another fave of mine is Wild Flower by The Cult (in fact the whole Electric album).

7. SkyMonkey

A lot of their riffs are played on the 1/8th note instead of the 1/4.
    Riffs can start just before (Highway to Hell) or after (Whole Lotta Rosie) the bar starts.
    I think this guy explains it quite well using Highway to Hell as an example.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Read this: https://www.guitarlessonworld.com/lessons/

9. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  10. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

all of it.

Mitchell Pearrow and Travis398 like this.
  11. trax1139

trax1139 Active Member

Play and practice on a snare drum marching band style with traditional stick grip. Remember snare=rhythm guitar
    kick drum=bass guitar
    Since you want to improve rhythm feel, and hand - wrist movement, lose the distraction of playing the right notes and chords and just work on that snare drum.

kinleyd likes this.
  12. trax1139

trax1139 Active Member

Listen to and study Ringo Starr (Beatles) to hear a good example of playing behind the beat. This is a term usually connected to a style of drumming. Another is anything by
    Listen to and study Ringo Starr (Beatles). Another is Phil Rudd (AC/DC). Playing behind the beat is a term usually connected with a style of drumming. It almost can’t be tabulated as it’s a feel groove and not necessarily consistent. Forget trying it with a drum machine. The drum machine’s thinking “That does not compute”
    In AC/DC Malcolm’s doing it because Phil is directing it. Lock in on the drummer’s Hat and Snare to be a rhythm player. A really good one is more valuable than shredding any day.

13. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

Thanks, just watched and found it very illuminating. Also trax1139 that's a solid suggestion. I didn't really do a snare but I'm tapping my index fingers along to an ac/dc song and I think I'm able to feel where the off beat stuff happens. Having that physical motion is helping me get the feel. This might come along for me quicker than I thought it would.

14. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

He explains it well but takes way too long to get to the point. He wait's until the last two minutes before he even plays it. I've seen his videos before and I just don't have the attention span to watch him. I'm always just thinking "Just get to the point, man!"

AC/DC or should I say Malcom, is definitely underrated when it comes to the rhythm playing in that band. It sounds easier than it is most of the time. That's part of the magic of that band. Sounds so meat and potatoes, but there's more going on that what people realize.

Mitchell Pearrow and jchrisf like this.
  15. trax1139

trax1139 Active Member

Some guys are talking about 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 notes. If your asking what playing behind the beat means, that’s not it. Those note values ARE ON the beat. Listen to early R&B and Blues music. It’s playing that snare just milliseconds behind the actual tabulated beat. It gives the music a loose feel. Charlie Watts of the Stones is great on this.

16. J Saw

J Saw Well-Known Member

This one is always a good time

17. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

I have a dumb question again, would you send me a classic stones track that demonstrates this or a early blues Holwin Wolf/Muddy/John Lee Hooker or Elmore James one that demonstrates this.

18. trax1139

trax1139 Active Member

Ok...I suffered through the video and the guy mentions absolutely nothing about playing behind the beat. I thought that was the original question. He talks about being able to keep proper time within a musical space. Good stuff-takes a lot of practice, experience and plain ol talent.

Mitchell Pearrow and Silverdome like this.
  19. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Also masturbate furiously with your picking hand. Then you’ll be able to downstroke along to a Ramones live album without fatigue.

20. J Saw

J Saw Well-Known Member

You are outta your mind :D:D:applause: