Rewired my PCB SG

ToneWitch

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Zebra SG. The pots started failing. I couldn’t wait to yank out the PCboard and rewire it with some new pots.

I had the pots hanging around Bourns 500k coil splitters and (2) CTS 500k’s for the tones. Used Mallory .047 caps. Vintage style solid wire.

Got it all together on my SG wiring jig and dropped it in. Went together easy. I actually just performed this exact wiring job on a buddies Les Paul and it sounded absolutely killer.

Get it all in…. Plug in and the sound is tinny. Sounds like absolute garbage in comparison to the Les Paul I just wired up.

Idk it’s just strange to me. Could it possibly be that the SG’s thin body and weight really take some oomph out of the tone? Or is it possible I got a bunk pot? Maybe the switch is shorted idk.

Are the wires for the PCB pickups the same as any? Or did Gibson change the colors around? I’m perplexed really.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
You just got it wired up wrong. Double check your work.

1646710071735.png

If you have standard single conductor/shielded cable rather than 4 wire cables on the pickups, it's easy enough to just ignore the switches.
The SD site doesn't seem to have this diagram for single conductor humbuckers.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Zebra SG. The pots started failing. I couldn’t wait to yank out the PCboard and rewire it with some new pots.

I had the pots hanging around Bourns 500k coil splitters and (2) CTS 500k’s for the tones. Used Mallory .047 caps. Vintage style solid wire.

Got it all together on my SG wiring jig and dropped it in. Went together easy. I actually just performed this exact wiring job on a buddies Les Paul and it sounded absolutely killer.

Get it all in…. Plug in and the sound is tinny. Sounds like absolute garbage in comparison to the Les Paul I just wired up.

Idk it’s just strange to me. Could it possibly be that the SG’s thin body and weight really take some oomph out of the tone? Or is it possible I got a bunk pot? Maybe the switch is shorted idk.

Are the wires for the PCB pickups the same as any? Or did Gibson change the colors around? I’m perplexed really.
Here's an SG - PCB wiring diagram.
You also mentioned coil taps, so I'd make sure you got those pots wired correctly.
Post pics if your still stuck.
1646710270283.png

ToneWitch

Reaction score
You just got it wired up wrong. Double check your work.

View attachment 103476
This is the layout I used double, triple, quadrupole checked. I think I’ll just yank it out and do it again. I just dk man. I’ve done this same wiring job 100’s of times. Something isn’t right. I’ll check it again though. Maybe these pickups are dying one of these components is messed up. Looking right at it—it’s correct.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the layout I used double, triple, quadrupole checked. I think I’ll just yank it out and do it again. I just dk man. I’ve done this same wiring job 100’s of times. Something isn’t right. I’ll check it again though. Maybe these pickups are dying one of these components is messed up. Looking right at it—it’s correct.
I'd suspect the pots or caps if the pickups were working, and the wiring looks right.

Edit: check your grounds.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ground from back of switch to jack sleeve?

ToneWitch

Reaction score
I think this switch is just wore out. In center position I get no neck pickup at all. But in neck position on the switch i do. Just super weird. Cleaned the contacts and it’s the same. Just weird because I can see the contacts are together. Makes me think they are grounding eachother out or something. Going to pull the harness and do it again.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Also consider that Gibson pickup wire codes are NOT THE SAME as Seymour Duncan wire codes. Be sure you take that into account. It can make ALL the difference.

There are at least eight or ten different wiring color codes between different pickup manufacturers. It's stupid but it's true.

South Park

Reaction score
Change out the tone caps you are bleeding off to much signal . Try a smaller cap

ToneWitch

Reaction score
Also consider that Gibson pickup wire codes are NOT THE SAME as Seymour Duncan wire codes. Be sure you take that into account. It can make ALL the difference.

There are at least eight or ten different wiring color codes between different pickup manufacturers. It's stupid but it's true.
That’s what I was asking originally. This has Gibson pickups.

ToneWitch

Reaction score

This is the issue along with a faulty switch. Thanks for clarifying that. I wasn’t sure if the pickups were the same color code as Duncan’s. I wired it like Duncan’s.

Attachments

• D689E760-32E1-4B5B-A55E-5A46D124211F.jpeg
    D689E760-32E1-4B5B-A55E-5A46D124211F.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 4