Reverb Music Site Buying And Selling Etiquette

PelliX

Reaction score
I don't generally quote boxers, but when I do...

EdBeJNrWAAE20ff.jpg

playloud

Reaction score
I've had a couple of weird messages come from tire kickers over the last two days. The first one was for the SG Supreme I have listed.

A guy messaged me and said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Hey, I'd a moderator at a SG Supreme Facebook page. We have over 600 members with over 1500 SG guitars between us. We're the experts on SG guitars and the site where everyone goes to get info on SG guitars. I wanted to let you know that your guitar is priced too high. It's worth about $2000. Blah, blah, blah. I take it you really don't want to sell this guitar. There are 12 other SGs for sale on Reverb right now."

Now, I dunno about you but I can't remember ever messaging a Reverb seller that message. I either keep looking elsewhere or I shoot them an offer.

I message back, again I'm paraphrasing, "Well, there are actually nine SGs for sale on Reverb right now. Five of them are in Switzerland (2), South Korea, United Arab Emirates and Thailand. Four are in the US and one of them is a first year '99 in Fire Burst and in this condition. Mine. You and your Facebook group are not my target sales audience. I'm looking to sell to the person who has a pocket of Christmas money and wants a historical SG in excellent condition and not the standard Midnight Blue or Trans Black color. Does the fact that it's a first year SG Supreme in this condition with this finish add nothing to the value? Please send me a link to one exactly like mine for sale for $2000. I may buy it. Thanks for your input."

He comes back with: "One of our members bought a 2000 Fireburst P90 for $1200 about 8 months ago. Excellent condition. But no worries. You can continue to ask $3300. My offer is included. $1900. And you have a threshold that declined my offer. Good luck Will. Contact me when you're ready to sell at a realistic price."

I come back with: "LOL. You know, you popped in here to tell me how little my SG was worth and then you tell me one of your members bought one eight months ago exactly like mine for $1200 and then you shoot me a ridiculous offer for $1900. I'm only sorry I couldn't drag out your stupid offer for the full time so I could tie up that money. I'm sixty years old and this isn't the first guitar I've ever bought or sold and I DO know what I have and if it doesn't sell, the worst thing is I'm "stuck" with this beautiful piece of Gibson SG history. F#ck you and all your SG Supreme experts. Tell 'em I said that."

Then, today, a guy messages me and wants to know what's the lowest price I'll take for my Les Paul. I explained to him all the costs involved in listing the guitar and the time it takes to pack and ship and all of that and then I say "Look, make an offer and if it where I want to be, I'll accept it. If it's a bit too low, I'll counteroffer."

He comes back with: "I also sell online so I know where you are coming from I don't normally haggle on price If you can give me your best price and its where I want to be in the guitar then Ill consider it If you don't want to do that I understand."

Okay, quit wasting my time and move along. I just don't understand either of those two people. If you think my price is too high, make an offer or don't. Was I supposed to go "Oh, I'll drop my price by over $1000 then because you're the expert." Eff that. I am in no bind for money. I'm in no hurry to sell. There is zero pressure on me. If it sells for what I want, cool. If it doesn't, cool. And, for the other guy, wouldn't it be nice if all the prices on Reverb were the lowest price they would take? Wouldn't that be nice to know?

The first guy just sounds like a pillock. The second guy sounds like he treats buying a guitar like a salary negotiation!

I've actually had pretty good experiences with Reverb over the years. I'm usually quite picky with the listings I actually engage with as a buyer, and as a seller I haven't had any memorably bad experiences. The best ones are where you can tell the seller really loves the gear they're selling, and they hope it goes to a good home (that's been me a few times - with regrets!)

I did have a funny experience recently, with a guy who was selling a 1933 cab on a local auction site. He listed it at NZ$600 initially, and got no bids. I offered him $500, but he chose to relist the item. After I "watched" the item, he hiked the starting bid up to $650. He then offered me $625 when that one didn't sell. He has since listed it a few more times (at the higher price), with no interest. I do feel a bit sorry for him, because he could get more for it internationally if shipping wasn't so expensive.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I always throw an initial lowball to see if they will take or if they will start around there. Win some lose some, I have 0 shame.

I get hit with them too when I sell and never take such things but I do commend the buyer in a message and tell him
it's ok because I do it too.

I'm also good at riding a seller's lower BIN "Best Offer" limit right to the edge. When I sell I don't allow a "Best Offer" option but
I do tell them if that have an offer to let me know and I'll consider sending them one. This way they can't ride my lower limit
like in turn I do to sellers. :fever:

I'm bastard buyer and am NOT your friend. I'm also a very good considerate fair seller too. I've sold to bastards like myself
and I'm good and patient with them. They are the customer and I respect that. Give and take.
I live by "You dont get what you dont ask for". Always start low and work your way up. :yesway:

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live by "You dont get what you dont ask for". Always start low and work your way up. :yesway:

Absolutely. I wouldn't fault a guy for trying but to come tell me how little my item is worth and you should know because you're the "expert" and THEN lowball me? Uh-uh. I ain't havin' none of that.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Absolutely. I wouldn't fault a guy for trying but to come tell me how little my item is worth and you should know because you're the "expert" and THEN lowball me? Uh-uh. I ain't havin' none of that.
Yeah I dont do that, its all about starting a conversation with the seller to see where theyre at, and they will usually tell you.

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sold the 1999 Les Paul to the guy who asked me what was the lowest price I would accept. He made an offer and found out.

DaDoc

Reaction score
I sent him an offer for $3500. He declined, lol.

I suspect a lot of these people are sellers themselves..They're hoping to catch someone in a bind who needs money and is willing to sell at seller's wholesale price (The markup on gear in music stores is often around 40%) and then flip it for a profit.

I get annoyed at this kind of thing, everybody's got to be a wheeler-dealer! :noplease:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of selling online--don't want to deal with the hassle, take it down to Guitar Center for a $800 credit. Not tryin to be a dick but I also think you've got that guitar priced too high.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
I have had the absolute, most completely moronic exchanges that I've ever had in my life on Reverb, and I've dealt with some serious dipshits in my lifetime. 1000x worse than craigslist. I think maybe there's a lot of 16 year old users of the site or something.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Yes, but different cultures do business in different ways. The Dutch for example are very much into negotiating deals in a way that would either rip off or appear extremely impolite to many. Once you've worked out how to play that game, they're actually lovely to do business with. Just another one of those things I had to learn when I moved to Holland.
"There's only two things I cant abide, racial intolerance, and the Dutch."

DaDoc

Reaction score

Yeah, I get what you're saying.

It always annoys the hell outta me when dealing with somebody who claims to be a self-professed "expert" on a subject, be it guitars or whatever, that I have a good deal of knowledge about, then try to treat me like a dumbass who's asking too much for whatever I'm selling when I freakin' know better! :pissed:

When it comes to selling something, there's inevitably going to those who like to play that game though..First, they claim to have a superior amount of knowledge about the item in question, then offer a lowball price for it, hoping the seller caves..I'm like you, I would politely let them know I'm not a dumbass and I know what I have, then just ignore them until they can make a reasonable offer..In these days of online dealing and the almost limitless access people have in that market, there's hordes of "those guys"..Screw 'em!

I've often wondered how many unknowledgeable sellers actually fall for the ruse and let themselves get ripped off..I'm sure it happens a lot, when I was younger and stupider I let myself get burned a few times too..Live and learn! :facepalm:

I've also known guys who seem to live by the "that's too much money to pay for that" credo..It's almost like they never look at current market prices! :scratch:

I remember when I sold my JCM 800 some years back, I got all kinds of lowball offers..There was a local musician/ guitar store owner who I knew REALLY wanted it for himself, but he offered me something like $500.00 for it..I declined, and put it up for sale on Craigslist.

When I had got a few decent offers on it, I went back to him and told him my price, and that if he didn't want it I had somebody who did..He went into his office and came back out with a check for my asking price! :lol:

Last edited:

RCM 800

Reaction score
I dont mind negotiating but I also will tell a person to fuck off if they come at me with a stupid offer. Sold a little utility trailer a couple months ago for $250, my ask, new and with improvements it was a $400ish trailer so my ask was pretty reasonable. Some idiot messages me he'll give me $50. I told him to F off and he's like "you said OBO". Get a clue asshole.