Reverb Music Site Buying And Selling Etiquette

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of weird messages come from tire kickers over the last two days. The first one was for the SG Supreme I have listed.

A guy messaged me and said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Hey, I'd a moderator at a SG Supreme Facebook page. We have over 600 members with over 1500 SG guitars between us. We're the experts on SG guitars and the site where everyone goes to get info on SG guitars. I wanted to let you know that your guitar is priced too high. It's worth about $2000. Blah, blah, blah. I take it you really don't want to sell this guitar. There are 12 other SGs for sale on Reverb right now."

Now, I dunno about you but I can't remember ever messaging a Reverb seller that message. I either keep looking elsewhere or I shoot them an offer.

I message back, again I'm paraphrasing, "Well, there are actually nine SGs for sale on Reverb right now. Five of them are in Switzerland (2), South Korea, United Arab Emirates and Thailand. Four are in the US and one of them is a first year '99 in Fire Burst and in this condition. Mine. You and your Facebook group are not my target sales audience. I'm looking to sell to the person who has a pocket of Christmas money and wants a historical SG in excellent condition and not the standard Midnight Blue or Trans Black color. Does the fact that it's a first year SG Supreme in this condition with this finish add nothing to the value? Please send me a link to one exactly like mine for sale for $2000. I may buy it. Thanks for your input."

He comes back with: "One of our members bought a 2000 Fireburst P90 for $1200 about 8 months ago. Excellent condition. But no worries. You can continue to ask $3300. My offer is included. $1900. And you have a threshold that declined my offer. Good luck Will. Contact me when you're ready to sell at a realistic price."

I come back with: "LOL. You know, you popped in here to tell me how little my SG was worth and then you tell me one of your members bought one eight months ago exactly like mine for $1200 and then you shoot me a ridiculous offer for $1900. I'm only sorry I couldn't drag out your stupid offer for the full time so I could tie up that money. I'm sixty years old and this isn't the first guitar I've ever bought or sold and I DO know what I have and if it doesn't sell, the worst thing is I'm "stuck" with this beautiful piece of Gibson SG history. F#ck you and all your SG Supreme experts. Tell 'em I said that."

Then, today, a guy messages me and wants to know what's the lowest price I'll take for my Les Paul. I explained to him all the costs involved in listing the guitar and the time it takes to pack and ship and all of that and then I say "Look, make an offer and if it where I want to be, I'll accept it. If it's a bit too low, I'll counteroffer."

He comes back with: "I also sell online so I know where you are coming from I don't normally haggle on price If you can give me your best price and its where I want to be in the guitar then Ill consider it If you don't want to do that I understand."

Okay, quit wasting my time and move along. I just don't understand either of those two people. If you think my price is too high, make an offer or don't. Was I supposed to go "Oh, I'll drop my price by over $1000 then because you're the expert." Eff that. I am in no bind for money. I'm in no hurry to sell. There is zero pressure on me. If it sells for what I want, cool. If it doesn't, cool. And, for the other guy, wouldn't it be nice if all the prices on Reverb were the lowest price they would take? Wouldn't that be nice to know?

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I'm aware that I'm asking top dollar for the gear I have listed on Reverb. I'm not going to list it for the lowest price I'll take. It's Christmas season and this is the time some of us splurge on others and ourselves. With all of the traffic that has been looking at my gear, I'm waiting for that one buyer who says "Eff it. I'm gonna buy this." There's wiggle room on my asking price but the onus to start the wiggling process is on the buyer, not the seller.

PelliX

Reaction score
Okay, quit wasting my time and move along. I just don't understand either of those two people. If you think my price is too high, make an offer or don't. Was I supposed to go "Oh, I'll drop my price by over $1000 then because you're the expert." Eff that. I am in no bind for money. I'm in no hurry to sell. There is zero pressure on me. If it sells for what I want, cool. If it doesn't, cool. And, for the other guy, wouldn't it be nice if all the prices on Reverb were the lowest price they would take? Wouldn't that be nice to know?

But that's exactly it: they hope you're hard pressed for cash and will go for it. As you're not, just ignore them... I bet enough people do actually take the bait, though :shrug:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patience will prevail.
There are a lot of people want a bargain for what they know is worth more than their offer.
I've made some reasonable offers on what I thought was unreasonably priced Reverb stuff before.
And the items sold to someone - not sure what for, but they must have really wanted it.
I'm not at all saying your prices are unreasonable, you have some truly unique items for sale.
But the rare person who knows the value of what you are selling will make a reasonable offer.
Just gotta wait for that someone who both knows and wants.

PelliX

Reaction score
IMO
Courtesy is my First Rule in Negotiating.
Most people don't like dealing with the Impolite.

Yes, but different cultures do business in different ways. The Dutch for example are very much into negotiating deals in a way that would either rip off or appear extremely impolite to many. Once you've worked out how to play that game, they're actually lovely to do business with. Just another one of those things I had to learn when I moved to Holland.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Why bother to respond? You're giving them the satisfaction of "setting you straight", whereas not replying will likely get under their skin. Dollars to donuts they're over at their FaceFuck group discussing the "idiot" on Reverb who has no idea what he's doing.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
lol, when I read the title I thought you were referring to a band situation, how much would be too much for your band members. You know? Proper reverb etiquette: Not all the way up, just a little splash.. IF YOU HAVE TO ABSOLUTELY USE REVERB.

-edit- sorry for the derail. You did right in responding to the guy, but his message didn't merit one.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've had a couple of weird messages come from tire kickers over the last two days. The first one was for the SG Supreme I have listed.

A guy messaged me and said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Hey, I'd a moderator at a SG Supreme Facebook page. We have over 600 members with over 1500 SG guitars between us. We're the experts on SG guitars and the site where everyone goes to get info on SG guitars. I wanted to let you know that your guitar is priced too high. It's worth about $2000. Blah, blah, blah. I take it you really don't want to sell this guitar. There are 12 other SGs for sale on Reverb right now."

Now, I dunno about you but I can't remember ever messaging a Reverb seller that message. I either keep looking elsewhere or I shoot them an offer.

I message back, again I'm paraphrasing, "Well, there are actually nine SGs for sale on Reverb right now. Five of them are in Switzerland (2), South Korea, United Arab Emirates and Thailand. Four are in the US and one of them is a first year '99 in Fire Burst and in this condition. Mine. You and your Facebook group are not my target sales audience. I'm looking to sell to the person who has a pocket of Christmas money and wants a historical SG in excellent condition and not the standard Midnight Blue or Trans Black color. Does the fact that it's a first year SG Supreme in this condition with this finish add nothing to the value? Please send me a link to one exactly like mine for sale for $2000. I may buy it. Thanks for your input."

He comes back with: "One of our members bought a 2000 Fireburst P90 for $1200 about 8 months ago. Excellent condition. But no worries. You can continue to ask $3300. My offer is included. $1900. And you have a threshold that declined my offer. Good luck Will. Contact me when you're ready to sell at a realistic price."

I come back with: "LOL. You know, you popped in here to tell me how little my SG was worth and then you tell me one of your members bought one eight months ago exactly like mine for $1200 and then you shoot me a ridiculous offer for $1900. I'm only sorry I couldn't drag out your stupid offer for the full time so I could tie up that money. I'm sixty years old and this isn't the first guitar I've ever bought or sold and I DO know what I have and if it doesn't sell, the worst thing is I'm "stuck" with this beautiful piece of Gibson SG history. F#ck you and all your SG Supreme experts. Tell 'em I said that."

Then, today, a guy messages me and wants to know what's the lowest price I'll take for my Les Paul. I explained to him all the costs involved in listing the guitar and the time it takes to pack and ship and all of that and then I say "Look, make an offer and if it where I want to be, I'll accept it. If it's a bit too low, I'll counteroffer."

He comes back with: "I also sell online so I know where you are coming from I don't normally haggle on price If you can give me your best price and its where I want to be in the guitar then Ill consider it If you don't want to do that I understand."

Unless you like wasting your time fighting with people online, all you can say is make an offer and you'll consider it thanks for looking. :shrug:

Last edited:

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you like wasting you time fighting with people online, all you can say is make an offer and you'll consider it thanks for looking. :shrug:

I think I may be on some kind of Asperger's spectrum because I always feel like I have to set things right. I often say the wrong thing. I sometimes have a difficult time reading into what the person is trying to say. I often don't understand why I've hurt the other person's feelings. I kinda do like to fight with people online, lol.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
My "secret" move for getting an offer accepted is to make the offer and then send a message with it. "Hello, I hope you can accept my offer. Cheers, Will" Works about 90% of the time. I don't have any evidence that it wouldn't work without the message so there's that, lol.

its just good business when you shoot in a bit lower of a offer
in my opinion. shows a bit of respect in my book.

oh and screw the FB boys too by the way.

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's always a something for nothing cheap cock that shows up anytime i try to sell things. usually i hear " i saw this cheaper elsewhere" line which immediately gets the " then go buy it there " response.

It's a free market. If it truly is overpriced it will sit.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I've never had "Etiquette", so I can't sell it. And seeing as how I've been fine without "Etiquette" I ain't buying non neither. Hmmph.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:
applause2.gif

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I always throw an initial lowball to see if they will take or if they will start around there. Win some lose some, I have 0 shame.

I get hit with them too when I sell and never take such things but I do commend the buyer in a message and tell him
it's ok because I do it too.

I'm also good at riding a seller's lower BIN "Best Offer" limit right to the edge. When I sell I don't allow a "Best Offer" option but
I do tell them if that have an offer to let me know and I'll consider sending them one. This way they can't ride my lower limit
like in turn I do to sellers. :fever:

I'm bastard buyer and am NOT your friend. I'm also a very good considerate fair seller too. I've sold to bastards like myself
and I'm good and patient with them. They are the customer and I respect that. Give and take.

PelliX

Reaction score
I think I may be on some kind of Asperger's spectrum because I always feel like I have to set things right. I often say the wrong thing. I sometimes have a difficult time reading into what the person is trying to say. I often don't understand why I've hurt the other person's feelings. I kinda do like to fight with people online, lol.

That's not Asperger's, that's the 21st century, right there. :thumb:

Latest posts