>

Reverb in front of SV20 v Origin 20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Mark Collier, Jul 30, 2021.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Im not much of a reverb guy but i just happened to try an old boss rrv-10 reverb unit i had in storage in my sv20 loop yesterday and it sounds pretty good! :yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

A lot of reverbs suck, tube run real spring is the way to go. Digital ones are very hit and miss. There are some very good ones in the Helix stuff believe it or not, about 25% are real good. The original HOF was pretty good but the new one is nothing to write home about.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Are you using reverb in your rig? I'm gonna keep fooling around with mine, its got 8 different reverbs and 4 adjustment knobs, this unit is from the 80's my brother used it for recording vocals. So far I like the plate reverb with middle of the road settings, not too bad. :yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. ichocobo

ichocobo Member

Regarding the OP, probably the thing is the SV has way more preamp gain than the Origin, so the reverb is more distorted before the fx loop in the SV than in the ORI. At the same crunch level, the ORI probably rely more on poweramp distortion, and the SV on preamp and poweramp mix.

Mark Collier likes this.
  5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I use a little with my HX Effects, plate and a couple other ones. My 1989 Carvin has real spring reverb I always use, my “new” Carvin X100b has a digital version that is nowhere near as good. For some reason plate reverb seems to be better than spring with digital types. It really works best with clean playing for me. I wish I kept my old HOF pedal.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.