Reuse of serial number ('67 Super Bass, and '69 Tremelo)?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by playloud, Dec 28, 2020.

1. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

What Marshallhead was referring to above was specifically 50w heads. After the gold panels were introduced the 50w had S/ ****** serial, there were T/****** too but no B in 50w.
    As per the 100w there were some 69 amps S/A ****** and T/A****** but I have never seen a B/A ******. Of course in later 69 with the metal panels came the S/A******A for 69 and 70 followed by S/A ******C in 71 etc.
    Hope that clears up confusion?

2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Clear as mud! But that's typical when dealing with the details of all things Marshall!

3. Marshallhead

Marshallhead Well-Known Member

You said in your earlier post that 100 watt amps have SL/A or SB/A (representing Super Lead and Super Bass respectively) and 50 watt models had SL for lead and SB for bass, but they don’t, as you pointed out in your reply the 50’s just read either S/ or S/A.
    The point I was making is that the 50 watt amp serial prefix doesn’t distinguish the model (ie lead, bass etc) at all.

4. playloud

playloud New Member

Ok, now I'm looking at another '69 - this time, it's a "metal panel" PA model (hey, at least it's being advertised as such from the outset!*)

It didn't take much digging to see that the amp was previously sold in November, although apparently not on eBay (and I'm guessing he didn't get his advertised price, given what Music Locker is asking).

From my cursory inspection, the changes made by Music Locker are:
    - Replaced Bulgin cable with newer connection (why would they do this?)
    - Replaced repro block logo with period-correct logo (possibly repro)

All the other components seem to be the same (it's hard to say about the preamp tubes I guess, given they were covered in the original listing).

I noticed that the transformers are the same in both listings - even though the original says that the mains was replaced, whereas the latest claims one was rewound (to be fair, based on my research on Amp Archives, they do look consistent with other Super PAs from around this time, but I'm no expert...)

Music Locker seem to be considered a reputable dealer around here (or at least, not the opposite!) so I assume there is some value in their having inspected it too.

Are there any things I'm missing, or is this thing fairly original overall?

I just got a Boss Tube Expander (fantastic piece of kit!), so I'm fairly excited about the prospect of getting a 100-watter again. I just hope that isn't clouding my judgement. I'm also a little wary about buying old Marshalls from the UK, given the history of "lash ups" and so on...

*I noted that the original listing said 69/70, but the inspection code should place this fairly comfortably in 69 should it not?

5. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Probably replaced for safety reasons, if I was the seller I would offer the choice though.

Just looked at listing, seller has so many amps and yet they put the old style IEC where they need the mounting hole enlarging and new holes drilled :wtf:.

6. playloud

playloud New Member

Perhaps I'll just ask them directly. It does seem quite an aggressive way of going about it...

What do you make of the originality of transformers/circuit? Apart from the filter caps being replaced, I can't see many changes. I also can't spot the bright cap on channel 3. Channels 3/4 are supposed to be "lead spec", right?

7. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Especially when you can buy a version that fits with no modifications.

Pre amp doesn't look like it's had much work compared to the rest ( others will know better, bright cap on CH2 pot though ), although the pre filter cap looks original Erie it has been soldered out, why I don't know, perhaps the board has been out and that would make me wonder about the OT and there are no pictures where you really want to see the wires etc.