retro fit JTM 45 chassis for trainwreck build - transformer placement ???

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by tonejunkie99, Aug 10, 2020.

1. tonejunkie99

tonejunkie99 Member

Hello friends, I am installing a Trainwreck circuit board in a JTM45 chassis. I have read the physical placement/mounting location of the transformers and electrolytics are prone to noise in relation to high gain Trainwreck circuits. If I use shielded wire in the ultra sensitive areas of the preamp will I be okay just mounting the transformers as/in the normal JTM 45 transformer layout or do I need to close mount the OT in front of the PT like the Ken Fisher Trainwreck layouts?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this build...

Kindest Regards
    DW

2. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Well-Known Member

Interesting question that I never thought about till now. I've never thought to build a Wreck with out the original layout. Why not just get a Wreck chassis? Would seem likee the best option as thy can be a bit unstable as they are.

3. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

right next to each other (but oriented 90% off axis) makes for shorter lead lengths but the Marshall-style transformer on each end makes for a nice balanced carry

4. william vogel

william vogel Active Member

If you’re using the correct transformers there’s no way to use a jtm45 chassis because the power transformer is a standup design for a Trainwreck. If you’re using a blank Jtm45 chassis you’ll be able to put the transformers in place but the output transformer interacts with things and it’s important to use Ken’s layout. Many people find out the hard way and get unsatisfactory results requiring modifications to the circuit to block oscillations and these modifications change the operation of the amp. Join The Amp Garage and gain access to the wonderful amount of information available about Trainwreck amps. The 17 x 8 x 2 chassis in aluminum is available and if you need one I’ll sell you one. I’ve built 4 and they are incredible amps.