Restoring my 1981 gibson explorer e/2

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by flyinguitars, May 6, 2013.

1. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

We are restoring my 1981 gibson explorer E2. This is the guitar that I spent my highschool and college years learning on and playing. I have loads of memories with this guitar...I spent hours each day practicing and countless highschool parties were rocked with it..haha. I won battle of the bands freshman year in highschool, played the galaxy in somerdale nj and opened for Cinderella while bon jovi was watching my jr year of highschool. Had girls cuffed to it, recorded with it, lugged it all over boston, played the berklee performance center with it...it was my only guitar at the time and was such a huge part of my young life. It's pretty wild when I think about our history together...anyway, I fucked it up in the early 90s when I painted it white. It was originally clear natural wood. Then I started to make money and bought other guitars and put this one away for 20 years.

So here it is at the beginning of the project on Saturday :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today after some stripping and sanding. My son mocked it up. We are going to clear it with nitro laquer back to its natural wood color.

[​IMG]

2. Durden

Durden Well-Known Member

what's with the filled in cut out near the bridge, did it have a floyd or something?

3. flyinguitars

Yes, I had a kayler installed when I was 17. It was removed before the white paint job in 1991 and was filled with a piece of walnut. The glue lines look worse in the pic. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Option that I'm considering so far:
    1 cover the area with a design or stripe
    2 remove the top portion of the glue and fill with a glue that matches the walnut color
    3 just clear it and rock the scar
    4 rout it out and fill with piece of walnut that matches better and fits perfectly

4. Durden

Durden Well-Known Member

yeah id go with 4, being a explorer and seeing your going to laqear, should be a easy enough days work filling it nicely with a nice piece of wood, will come up a lot better looking if your concerned about the finer details

flyinguitars likes this.
  5. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

What a great story! :)

flyinguitars likes this.
  6. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

It sure was. I had a lot of history with my Gold Top Les Paul and it got stolen. One of the biggest disappointments in my life.

flyinguitars likes this.
  7. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Hmm... I have had a boring life..
    Cool guitar and history. The good thing is even though it has been abused you kept it.
    #4 I agree also. It will look better.
    Active pup ?

8. 66 galaxie

66 galaxie Well-Known Member VIP Member

I agree #4 is the way to go. But, why not mahogany?

9. flyinguitars

Yea, I'm thinking #4...especially since you guys are agreeing.

Galaxie-i believe that the e/2 is made from a sandwich of walnut/maple/walnut/maple/walnut. I will confirm first and put in the same type as the top layer.

I have a friend who builds home stereo speaker boxes and I think.he has a cnc router. He said that it was so precise, that he could cut intricate designs like rose buds, faces, logos, etc..into wood. I think it could plunge over an inch or so, so it may be perfect for this job. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that we could cut a trapezoid maybe 1/4" deep and have an edge directy under the bridge and under the tailpiece to help hide the seems.

That great that you guys like the back story! I did so much with this guitar! I got it for my 15th birthday. I picked it off the wall at Zapf's music in Philadelphia p.a. It was a best friend to me all through high school and I literally played it several hours every day. During my junior and senior years of high school, I took it in everyday and played in school for at least 2 hours a day (they allowed me to stack my private lesson period, band period, and study hall periods together and the band teacher let me use a private practice room for those periods....he just left me alone since I was the first one from the school who was going on to music college). Just about every school pic I have that guitar in my hands.
    When I got to berklee that was all I had...that and a jcm800 half stack. My roomate had 5 sick guitars (who by the way is now managing the band extreme, nuno, Courtney love, Lou reed, and more...haha)...
    we were nuts...girls and music 24/7!!! That guitar had naked babes cuffed to it, (i think one may have been tempest -later famous on the howard stern show)the headstock even banged one...haha!.. it was with me when I waited on the steps with the to guys from dream theater, living color, and extreme to sign up for the daily rehearsal rooms....
    Then later it was with me in the Philadelphia original clud scene until the frets were so bad that I bought a kramer ripley and a jackson and retired it.
    Then a few years later I had it painted white and played it out for a couple months and mothballed it until now.

10. 66 galaxie

66 galaxie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Well, I hope you get it rockin again :)

I love Explorers :cool:

flyinguitars likes this.
  11. Darth Federer

Darth Federer Well-Known Member

Great post.

flyinguitars likes this.
  12. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Guitars with stories. [​IMG]
    Looks like that one's got a lot more stories in its future. :)

flyinguitars likes this.
  13. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Hey DirtySteve, what amp(s) are you playing through these days?

14. mosquito3

mosquito3 New Member

Great story man!
    That is a lovely guitar. Really hope you get it back to a new life soon :)

flyinguitars likes this.
  15. flyinguitars

Hey update!! Since the weather is getting better I'm able to finish this now. But, we've been debating the original clear or a solid color.

Any suggestions or agree/disagree? I still have to take care of the kayler scar/cavity. Also it will need a fret job. It may have a fret dressing left in it, but I'm thinking maybe send it for a new plec fret job.

16. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

It would look cool with a blonde type of solid finish IMO . I love Explorers!