Replacement Tube for DSL40C

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Jeff Crusan, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Jeff Crusan

Jeff Crusan New Member

So I've had this Marshall DSL40C for about five years now. It died on Christmas Eve actually and I found out that one of the tubes is blown. This is the first time I've had to deal with an amp issue like this so I am a bit of a noob. However, the tube that blew is a Marshall EL34 50/14. I'm not sure exactly what these numbers mean so if someone knows that would be a good help. Also, I know Marshall came out with a newer design to the DSL's a couple of years ago and mine is not one of those, and also the only tubes I can find are EL34 50/50's. I'm not sure if I absolutely need a 50/14, but that's what the one I have actually is so I'm guessing I'd go for a 50/14 if I can find one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

stock JJ el34 I believe shit i would go through new power tubes every 6 months or so I would get a hum and that was usually that

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Not exactly clear on the 50/14
    But stuck a pair of matched Ruby EL34’s in one of mine, but in the 5 years I have had them only 3 of the power tubes have gone south, just buy a set of matched EL34’s and pop them in and get the amp biased and you should be good to go for another couple of years.
    And a big
    Welcome to the forum
    Cheers
    Mitch

4. Max Gahne

Max Gahne Active Member

I don't know what the 50/14 means either. Tubedepot shows tubes by amplifier - maybe other suppliers do too, amplifiedparts does but doesn't show a DSL40. But Tubedepot's tube finder thing says so far as what they carry JJ EL34s are correct. I use JJ tubes and am happy with them. So long as I haven't been drinking and stick one in a rectifier socket they hold up just fine for me. Check the tube vendor's websites for their recommendations for a DSL40 or even e-mail them for help. If you've never biased an amp you'll want a tech to do that for you. Do you have to bias it? Yeah I would because in my experience, to lose a tube in 5 years maybe the bias is hot to begin with. YMMV but I'd want to check the bias anyways.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  5. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

50/14 means the 50th week of 2014 i’d say: manufacturing date.

6. tmingle

tmingle Well-Known Member

I have really good luck with the TAD EL-34 tubes in my 40C. JJ's don't seem to last in this amp for me.