Replacement speaker for DSL40CR, Creamback G12H or V30

Whizzinby

Reaction score
Looking to replace the V-Type speaker in my DSL40CR. I get a decent clean tone from the amp but am not totally enthused about the tone under high gain settings. It’s bit too harsh and muddy, lacks a bit of pop and clarity.

Anyways was looking into replacement speakers and settled on the Creamback G12H 75 and the V30. (From what I read the Creamback G12M wasn’t proffered by higher gain players, in comparison to the G12H)

Was hoping to get some opinions from people that have actually used or heard both speakers. It’s hard via YouTube reviews or spec sheets to really determine where they are both applied to best effect.

Ideally I’d like to get a speaker that produces a bass punch more than a boom, and mids/highs with clarity under high gain more than a shriek. I do play a lot of high gain saturated riff type music, but don’t want it to be a muddy mess and can have some articulation.

Thanks in advance!

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Ideally I’d like to get a speaker that produces a bass punch more than a boom, and mids/highs with clarity under high gain more than a shriek. I do play a lot of high gain saturated riff type music, but don’t want it to be a muddy mess and can have some articulation.

Thanks in advance!

Based on that get the Vintage 30.

jeffb

Reaction score
Based on your description, you almost rule out both speakers. V30s are often heard as shrieky because of the high mids, H series as boomy because of their very apparent lows.

I have used both with my DSL40C in the combo cab. Generally speaking, combo/open cabs, I like any of the H mag series (Creamback, 70th Anniversary, etc) or the V30 and avoid M speakers. But in the DSL40 Combo cab I found my V30 to be overly bright and piercing (and it had years of use- so it's well worn in). Unsure if the refinements to the 40CR tone stack/voicing would tame that. The inexpensive combo cabs Marshall uses are not particularly toneful.

Whizzinby

Reaction score
Based on your description, you almost rule out both speakers. V30s are often heard as shrieky because of the high mids, H series as boomy because of their very apparent lows.

I have used both with my DSL40C in the combo cab. Generally speaking, combo/open cabs, I like any of the H mag series (Creamback, 70th Anniversary, etc) or the V30 and avoid M speakers. But in the DSL40 Combo cab I found my V30 to be overly bright and piercing (and it had years of use- so it's well worn in). Unsure if the refinements to the 40CR tone stack/voicing would tame that. The inexpensive combo cabs Marshall uses are not particularly toneful.

Might just be my inability to articulate myself musically. Ha

I’m after a tone that has a tight/present bass response (without being too overwhelming, hence my usage of punchy, which may or may not be the best wording) I certainly want a good bass presence.

As for the mid/high frequencies I'm just looking for clarity/articulation under high gain. I like playing a lot of high gain, riff based stuffed more than pure shredding, but I notice at present the upper frequencies just turn to mush or lose articulation.

Whizzinby

Reaction score
Maybe a better to look at it is what I play.

At home I play stuff sorta in the vein of Smashing Pumpkins, Hum, Deftones, Dialects, Queens of the Stone Age.

When I play with my drummer buddy it’s a little more southern/classic rock, blues type stuff like Gary Clarke, Marcus King, AC/DC.

Sorta all over the place.

jeffb

Reaction score
I think either speaker will work sufficiently well for what you mentioned. It really comes down to personal preference.

For myself, V30 is usually a last resort. When it works, it works, but I tend to prefer it with single coil guitars.

Whizzinby

Reaction score
I think either speaker will work sufficiently well for what you mentioned. It really comes down to personal preference.

For myself, V30 is usually a last resort. When it works, it works, but I tend to prefer it with single coil guitars.

I play an SG.

so generally speaking you classify them as V30 being more mid/high focused and The Creamback H more low end focused?

jeffb

Reaction score
H75 low and low mid focused.

This is a pretty fair representation in a high gain Marshall combo- though the SL5 is closed back.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
They are both H magnet speakers. The V30 also uses a bass cone instead of a lead cone.

The stock V-type in the DSL40CR uses an medium sized magnet. The M magnets do not control the bass frequencies as precisely. This is probably what you found wanting in the V-type. But a H magnet gives more treble as well as more bass than a M magnet.

When it comes to, tight, punchy, but not boomy, bass the V30 is the one. The H30/75 has more bass, but it's not as articulate. The H30/75 also has more high treble. Although, the 75 watt version is said to be not as treblely as the 30 watt. You get more relaxed midrange with the G12H than with the V30, or maybe the midrange is over shadowed more by the greater bass and treble.

The V30 is a very mid rangey, but it is still articulate. The upper mids of the V30 give it a lot of cut. Too much for many. This upper mid range cut gives the impression of it being really bright in some applications. But the high treble of the V30 is rolled off a bit compared to most.

If you get a V30, get the Mesa Boogie version directly from them. It is warmer than the standard version.

If you want the midrange focus to be more in the lower mids then you want the Marshall G12 Vintage version, although it is brighter overall than the standard version of V30.

You will need to go through the break in agony no matter which way you go here.

highgainantics

Reaction score
Hi, OP. Did you end up making a decision? Any insights? I’m in the same situation as you. I also play an SG (61 Reissue) with lots of gain (similar musical interests) and want a sound that allows for the heavy distortion and lower end without losing note definition. The stock speakers are just too fizzy. I’m trying to decide between the G12H75 and the V30 as well. It seems like the G12 has that chunky, growly sound to it that is exactly what I’m looking for, but I’m also wondering if the low end is tight enough.

pedecamp

Reaction score
Hi, OP. Did you end up making a decision? Any insights? I’m in the same situation as you. I also play an SG (61 Reissue) with lots of gain (similar musical interests) and want a sound that allows for the heavy distortion and lower end without losing note definition. The stock speakers are just too fizzy. I’m trying to decide between the G12H75 and the V30 as well. It seems like the G12 has that chunky, growly sound to it that is exactly what I’m looking for, but I’m also wondering if the low end is tight enough.
Creamback75 is dark, a creamback65 is a better choice. V30 its been so long since I played one I forget what I didnt like about them but hated them and sold them, they are popular for metal if thats your thing, go with a creamback65 if youre into rock based music. With that said creamback works well with metal too. Welcome to the forum :yesway:

highgainantics

Reaction score
Creamback75 is dark, a creamback65 is a better choice. V30 its been so long since I played one I forget what I didnt like about them but hated them and sold them, they are popular for metal if thats your thing, go with a creamback65 if youre into rock based music. With that said creamback works well with metal too. Welcome to the forum :yesway:
Thanks!

The V30 sounded a but fizzy to me. I tend to play bassy riffs more than solos, which is why I was thinking the 75. I’ll check out the 65 now, thanks!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I think the high gain mud in a DSL40CR comes mainly from the preamp.
Try using ultra gain at about 5-6 and boost it from an upfront OD pedal.
It just works far better than getting all the gain from the preamp.

highgainantics

Reaction score
I think the high gain mud in a DSL40CR comes mainly from the preamp.
Try using ultra gain at about 5-6 and boost it from an upfront OD pedal.
It just works far better than getting all the gain from the preamp.
Awesome, will give that a shot! Yeah, it goes from not enough gain to an insane amount very quickly.

I'm getting closer and closer to the way I want it to sound the more I play on it though, which is promising!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Awesome, will give that a shot! Yeah, it goes from not enough gain to an insane amount very quickly.

Many folk use an OD as a clean boost. Max level: Min gain.
Try that, and increase the OD gain if needed.

My 40CR is hooked up to a Boss GT-100 in 4CM.
I can't remember the OD settings off hand, but it works great.

tschrama

Reaction score
Yesterday I measured eight V30s … you wont believe the amount of difference between them. Between 6.5kHz and 8kHz, were they start to drop off dramatically, I measured differences of 21dB no less.

So one V30 sound cool en creamy yet articulate, yhen another one sound very shrill.

I hope you see this puts individual experiences in to perspective.

You really need to listen to the individual speaker before you can make an informed decision.

Last edited: