Removing pitting and rust from an amp with chrome faceplate

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Buzzard, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I've got an amp with a chrome faceplate like a silver jubilee.Anyone know how to remove pitting and rust without damaging logo's and writing.

2. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

Wad up some aluminum foil and rub the chrome until it is all shiny. Of course, you will need to be very careful, taking time to work around lettering and artwork.

3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

citrus acid. nothing you can really do about pitting though.
    pitting is missing metal. i use it all the time.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  4. Saxon

Saxon Member

Also, if you just rub a paper towel with some Windex on it on lightly rusted chrome, it will remove lots of the surface rust and leave dark spots. But I would rub around lettering or test a small area first to see if the screening will hold up. To remove all rust, I'd use a polishing compound like Maas metal polish (again test in a small area to see how the finish is reacting- It will removing lettering), but if you rub hard enough, it will eventually remove the chrome. It basically takes the rusted metal away along with non-rusted metal, so you've really got to be careful with it.

5. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

I have used mothers mag polish on rusty chrome before. This was on car parts..rims, bumpers ect. It will remove the orange tint, and the "halo" of orange that surrounds the main rust spot, but the spot itself never disappears, as the plating is compromised, But It will lose the orange rust color making the main spots less noticeable. It is slightly abrasive so lettering would have to be taken into account.

Really nothing will take the rust away. But some things will lessen the look of it. Now if an item is totally frosted will rust there isn't much thay will make it look better without practically destroying it..

6. donwagar

donwagar Well-Known Member

I usually try NEVR-DULL first to polish chrome and get rid of surface rust.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  7. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Coca Cola is known as an effective chrome cleaner. WD40 and a soft tooth brush too. But I don't know how safe any of these things will be to the inscriptions.

ricksdisconnected likes this.