Relic'd Guitars are for Posers

Derrick111

Reaction score
Again, IMHO as an artist going out of one's way to badmouth fellow artists is bad form and says more about the one criticising than the target of said criticism, like it or not. (in my experience the ones that have time to waste to criticise usually are mediocre at best, and actually massive poseurs and tryhards...better focus on others' shortcomings than one's own, eh ?)
And I hope 1) you have such a brilliant career in music you achieved 1% of what they did; 2) God forbid people get old and have bad performances, I guess you're oh so good and oh so perfect you're immune to that.
Gotta love the Internet. Sums up this whole, sad thread.
Jeez, lighten up pal. :rolleyes:

playloud

Reaction score
They call it a “road worn guitar”… not because it was found on the road. Otherwise it wouldn’t be so expensive. It makes it “look like you’ve been on tour” (road experience). That is “the” thing…

You're right - the "road worn" thing is funny. I'm sure they mean to invoke Waylon Jennings and co, but all I can think of is:

iu

Moony

Reaction score
Remember the relic'd Gibson Custom Shop Mike Ness 1976 Les Paul model that came out a few months ago?

Mike himself has worn guitars of course.
But he isn't a poser and doesn't need "relic'd" guitars:

I ❤️ that!

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Anybody who has ever broken a string and tried to change it out quickly and had the ball end of the broken string miss the hole in the backplate and had to try to grab it with needlenose pliers and the band is giving you the stinkeye figured this out long before Ed or Jimi. Just sayin'...
I've got one for you. Back in the late 80's my band was auditioning singers. We had a guy come by and sing, and he was pretty decent. It turned out that he actually just wanted to pick up a band to go and perform at the open mic night at the Steamboat club in Austin. So we agreed and loaded up.

The other guitarist had just gotten a Kramer with a Floyd, similar to mine, and he didn't really understand it yet. We were all tuned approximately a half step low. Well, while we were waiting in the queue for our name to be called, in quite a dark area, this genius suggested that we should "tune standard real quick. It'll make us sound more professional."

I explained to him that:

1. One person out of a bazillion will have perfect pitch and notice the difference.
2. You don't Jack Squat "real quick" on a Floyd.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Nope, definitely not a thing. Nope nope nope.
I always tell people that if they'll look a little closer at a concert or a concert video, and pay attention to those walls of Marshalls, they'll see that most of them don't even have anything plugged into the input.

Derrick111

Reaction score
Well, while we were waiting in the queue for our name to be called, in quite a dark area, this genius suggested that we should "tune standard real quick. It'll make us sound more professional."

Yes, just imagine how much more professional Jimi Hendrix would have sounded tuned to standard. He really blew it.

I always tell people that if they'll look a little closer at a concert or a concert video, and pay attention to those walls of Marshalls, they'll see that most of them don't even have anything plugged into the input.

Exactly! Ssince the 1980s anyhow...

PelliX

Reaction score
Well, there's also another take, I guess. Brought to us by the Rev. BFG:

hqdefault.jpg

Neither Dusty's bass nor his guitar were damaged. I saw an interview once where he explained how he saw something that was in fact damaged by flood or so and liked the design. Billy talks a lot, but I think that was roughly what he outlined.

PowerTube44

Reaction score

hqdefault.jpg

Neither Dusty's bass nor his guitar were damaged. I saw an interview once where he explained how he saw something that was in fact damaged by flood or so and liked the design. Billy talks a lot, but I think that was roughly what he outlined.
Are these in the Murder Weapon Exhibit series?

El Gringo

Reaction score
I've got one for you. Back in the late 80's my band was auditioning singers. We had a guy come by and sing, and he was pretty decent. It turned out that he actually just wanted to pick up a band to go and perform at the open mic night at the Steamboat club in Austin. So we agreed and loaded up.

The other guitarist had just gotten a Kramer with a Floyd, similar to mine, and he didn't really understand it yet. We were all tuned approximately a half step low. Well, while we were waiting in the queue for our name to be called, in quite a dark area, this genius suggested that we should "tune standard real quick. It'll make us sound more professional."

I explained to him that:

1. One person out of a bazillion will have perfect pitch and notice the difference.
2. You don't Jack Squat "real quick" on a Floyd.
Wow , incredible !

Flag

Reaction score
Yeah. Or Eddie. He even said in an interview once that the first record was tuned "approximately" a half step low. This seems to be common in the rock world.
Eddie liked to stretch the truth. I know why, but seeing him in interviews you can tell he was a BS'er. but much respect to him for changing Rock. hm and Dave talking about how they drug everything into a room and recorded the first album live for the most part.

Last edited:

K Dub

Reaction score
Tastefully done aging and weather checking is nice to get things started. Then, when you get your first legitimate ding, it doesn't bother you as much.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Eddie liked to stretch the truth. I know why, but seeing him in interviews you can tell he was a BS'er. but much respect to him for changing Rock. hm and Dave talking about how they drug everything into a room and recorded the first album live for the most part.
if you play with him to the album and often you will notice your not exactly in tune
if your ear is tuned in. Ed play 1/2 down in ALOT of cases but he really did often play
"somewhere around 1/2 step down".

Flag

Reaction score
if you play with him to the album and often you will notice your not exactly in tune
if your ear is tuned in. Ed play 1/2 down in ALOT of cases but he really did often play
"somewhere around 1/2 step down".
Eddie was definitely the innovator. it's took me all these years to just now kind of figure out what he was doing. how he did all that in the 70's was something!

Sledge Johnson

Reaction score

hqdefault.jpg

IIRC saw a rig-rundown

hqdefault.jpg

Latest posts