Relic'd Guitars are for Posers

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I’ve only picked up one that I’d have loved to own … sadly, I just couldn’t get on with neck. Still, it was an absolutely beautiful guitar. A serious work of art. I think that’s what they boil down to … if the guitar speaks to you, then it’s really no different than any other guitar. I have a hard time digging on someone for their own personal choice (with some exceptions that I’ll keep private!).

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Wait, that’s not true … I’ve picked up 2 that I’d have loved to own. The other one was one of those EC Blackie replicas that went for around $25,000.00 … it was a smoking cool guitar, but at that price, I’d never pick it up because as soon as I bump it into something and chip off more paint, it’s no longer a Blackie replica. Definitely a cool guitar though.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see it as a style, but it's not one I'd pay more for.
I'd buy a cheap old beat up guitar, but not a brand new beat up guitar.

If you want it because you like the way it looks, ok.
If you want it to impress someone who doesn't know any better, then you're a poser.

Frodebro

Reaction score
I can see it as a style, but it's not one I'd pay more for.
I'd buy a cheap old beat up guitar, but not a brand new beat up guitar.

If you want it because you like the way it looks, ok.
If you want it to impress someone who doesn't know any better, then you're a poser.

To me, a Telecaster just doesn’t look right unless it’s a Blackguard, and if it’s shiny and perfect then it isn’t even close to the vintage models that I’ve drooled over pictures of since I was a teenager.

Reaction score
I have no problem with used guitars that have wear and tear. That's fine by me.
My problem is with brand new guitars artificially made to look worn and heavily used.

Get a new guitar and play the heck out of it !

I do miss real nitro finishes, yeah, I know you can get them, but I don't want pre-relic'd. And I sure don't want to pay more for them !!!

Last edited:

Frodebro

Reaction score
The only guitar I have that has significant wear on it is the PRS Custom that I used back in my bar band days. Yes the wear & tear on it is all from me, but to be honest I don't really think about it in terms of "authentic" versus "fake." If somebody has a factory relic'd guitar that they love, and that inspires them to pick it up and play, more power to them. I'm not going to psychoanalyze their decision based on my own perceptions, because I'm not them and they're not me.

Reaction score
To me, a Telecaster just doesn’t look right unless it’s a Blackguard, and if it’s shiny and perfect then it isn’t even close to the vintage models that I’ve drooled over pictures of since I was a teenager.
Sure, I get that, but
Why not build a parts tele, finish it yourself or get it done, in nitro
THEN...

play, Play, PLAY !

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One problem I have with the purposely relicd guitars is that they don't look anything like any guitar I've ever worn out

I would rather not run around in public with a guitar that looks like I've been sleeping with it and humping on it every night for 15 years

Relicd guitars = Harley Davidson sticker in the back window of a "soccer-mom-mobile"

Latest posts