Rediscovering old gear stashed away

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Marshall Arts, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Marshall Arts

Marshall Arts Active Member

I went through some house cleaning a few days ago. Throwing away old stuff that had been collecting over the years.

I found my old Gollmer The Blues distortion pedal in the basement. A pedal I bought almost 10 years ago. I remember I didn't like it that much after all and stashed it away in the basement then.

This time I gave it a new shot with my LP and 2554. And man, what was I thinking back in the days?? This thing rocks! It will not end up in the basement again from now on. It almost feels like new pedal day.

Have you ever stashed gear away from a lack of interest only to try it again later on with a completely different impression?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I've got a huge rack full of top notch gear that I haven't fired up in years. Its been on my list to do but I'm too lazy to wire it all up. Lol

3. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Was still within reach, but ran my Maxon/Ibanez SD9 for the first time in years today. Fattened the sound nicely, will get some more time. I had moved to pedal-free, or an occasional treble-booster-type [​IMG]

4. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

i run into stuff all the time when i hit my storage units.
    some stuff i have no idea where i got it at or that i dont remember
    even having it.

5. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Ha! Me too. I have my old 80s rig just sitting in the rack. Everytime I walk by it I think man, I gotta fire that thing up..then it hits me..where the f are the midi cables?. Lol... ADA MP1, ART Multiverb LT, Rane eq. Peavey CS800 in stereo into a couple 4x12's...ahh the good ole days. That little set up rocks the 80s tone all day long..as loud as you want it.:)

6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ----------------------------- Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

What, no Yamaha XPS-90 / 90 II?? That was the rule: we all had to have the ADA preamp, the XPS 90, the Korg rack tuner and to top it all off, a Nady 201 Dual Diversity guitar wireless unit. If you had money left over for picks and strings you spent 1985's complete supply on a Furman rackmount power conditioner - the one with the pull-out tube lights and dimmer control, and some Aquanet or Paul Mitchell Freeze & Shine and some body glitter and ...

I could go on all night. It was like there was a list of requirements ordered in sequence by priority. :D

Mitchell Pearrow and jmp45 like this.
  7. iambearface

iambearface New Member

I don't suppose I can ask a huge favour, any chance I can get an internal/circuit photo of the Gollmer? Been looking for one for years and I feel the best solution is to make a clone. Many thanks!

Marshall Arts likes this.
  8. Marshall Arts

I bet there's very little schematics to be found on these.
    But if this can help you along, I'm more than happy to provide pictures.

Are these good enough for your use?

Attached Files:

9. iambearface

iambearface New Member

Thank you so much! I'll let you know how I get on

10. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ----------------------------- Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Whenever I stash gear away I put it in a plastic bag, dig a hole in one of the neighbor's lawns at night and bury it there. Then I print out a satellite-based topographical map and draw up to 40,00 dots from various locations to it and mark the location with a big 'X'. They're just like treasure maps, only different.

Currently I have gear scattered and buried all over the county.

11. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

while dressed as Ace Frehley?

12. Marshall Arts

GPSCOIDH (GPS Coordinates or it didn't happen!)

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Yup, every several years I pull out my 1980's Proco Rat and rediscover it for awhile, been doing this for 35 years! Just took it off my board again for the latest shiney thing LOL.