Recovered Alcoholics Unite!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by LedZeppelinFan, Apr 12, 2015.

1. LedZeppelinFan

LedZeppelinFan New Member

I figure we need a place for those of us who were alcoholics once upon a time to share our tales, and provide encouragement to those who still are.

For me, I got out of Vietnam, discovered that I really like a 50/50 blend of whiskey and vodka. I drank excessive amounts regularly. I ended up having marital problems with my first wife, and the marriage failed. Eventually, my friends saw that I had gotten out of hand and got me into rehab. In 1990, I finally got sober. I turned to Christianity and found my lovely wife. All has been well. I'm mentally in tact. I still enjoy my whiskey/vodka, but in moderation. I've only had one time where I almost slipped back, and that was when my wife had her stroke a few years back. (All is good with her. She still remains the same her, just slight eccentricities. It was a fairly minor stroke.)

If you are comfortable with it, and were once an alcoholic (former druggies accepted too) share your story! If you are struggling with substances, come to any of us, and I'm sure we'd be happy to help.

2. Mshayne

Mshayne New Member

I still like my drugs , the only thing that keeps me off them is world class scotch and the fact that all the drugs here suck!

Anything is what you make it.

I find Americans tend to blame a lot of things on external issues instead of sorting out the internal **** that causes problems.

Depressive disorders often cause acutely uncomfortable feelings such as overwhelming sadness, hopelessness, numbness, isolation, sleep disorders, digestive and food-related disorders. It is tempting, if medications aren’t being prescribed or used properly, for people suffering from depression to self-medicate.

Just saying.

3. TheSunShinesThrough

TheSunShinesThrough Well-Known Member

Used to party hard from the time I was about 19 to 25, I'd drink anywhere from a 6 pack to a 12 pack 3-4 times a week. Now I don't drink at all. The thing that helped me the most is tea! I drink anywhere from 6-12 cups of tea a day. Green tea, detox tea, chamomile tea. I'm saving about $150 a month by not drinking! That equals a beautiful guitar every year if I save my money right. Or if invested into a savings account with 4% interest over 10 years that's $1,800 a year or $22,469 over 10 years! By not drinking you can cut your mortgage in half or buy a brand new truck! $22,469 will buy you a few Les Pauls.

Once I realized that a silly thing such as drinking was holding me back from financial freedom, my mind changed. That doesn't even include the food costs from pizza and other junk food I craved when I drank.

Coronado, Bear R. and blues_n_cues like this.
  4. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Many have said that i have an alcohol problem but I dont have a problem with it.....................:D

5. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

I am of the belief if one has been directly impacted by a parent who has abused alcohol, it is of best interest to refrain from drinking.

If not, negativity rears it's ugly head. Be it narcissism, pride, gluttony and/or ignorance. IG: Pride sounds relatively harmless. Until one cheats on their spouse.

My Dad was a drunk who got sober 1989 when I was around 27. I was so grateful I decided to quit even though I had yet to manifest any problems. The sibling family dynamics creates more problems for me than alcohol ever has.

Saying that the following link is Encyclopedic in nature would be an understatement. But, I doubt Orange's actual "sobriety":

http://www.orange-papers.org/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  6. Bear R.

Bear R. Well-Known Member

Hey ANITOLI..not to change the subject guys, but Nice website on the 6100 you got there, man!!..i like that..when i get mine, you'll be the first i contact to make sure everything is A OK, or if things need fixin you got my trust to do it..ive been reading your posts in the 6100 forum and man i like what you gotta say about these Amps, as well as your wealth of knowledge on these bad boys.. it made my decision on what amp to get, a lot easier..Thanks bud..!!.
    .........Thanks to TUBES also..for "always" letting us know what this amp is about. "Pure Buiseness"...ha,ha..Barry.

ps..as far as alcohol goes..i don't drink to much anymore...i still will have a beer every now and again..it calms me down.makes me feel better after a rough day..but for the most part i just stopped..Thank God..but hey i have nothing against nothing..if someone can handle what ever it is their doing..more power to them..including myself..anyways, sorry to have changed the subject but ANITOLI needed to hear that..now..!!.ha,ha..God Bless you guys..

Take care Zepplinfan..thanks for the compliment on my b-day...thanks buddy.your a good guy, no matter what anyone has to say about ya..ha,ha..just kiddin my friend..take care..:yesway:....Barry.

TheSunShinesThrough likes this.
  7. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings.

8. Blackie

Blackie Well-Known Member

.. one is too many .. a 1000 not enough ..

.. I'm not telling any stories of what I have been through due to my decisions ..

.. Doing fine now though ..

9. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Alcoholism is not something that you can really fully "recover" from, which means quitting entirely and later going back to moderate drinking simply doesn't work. I've been sober for ten years, but alcoholism runs in my family and I know that if I tried to start drinking in moderation I would effectively be putting a loaded gun to my head, with my finger on the trigger. That's something that I'm simply not willing to risk.

10. Quasar-Kid

Quasar-Kid Well-Known Member

Alcohol and regular drinking = Genetic Roulette
    Some humans are predisposed - some are not - spin the wheel and take a shot

I've gone now over 6 years without drinking
    Best 6 years of my life - I'm one of the unfortunate lugs afflicted with the damn thing
    Once I take a drink I can't stop drinking - its the damnedest thing

I'm down to Coffee now, its my last drug...

11. Frodebro

I'm the same way-as soon as alcohol hits my system a switch goes off in my head that overrides all rational thought and common sense. My brain just keeps saying "MORE". So I stay away from the stuff.

TheSunShinesThrough and Blackie like this.
  12. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I am proof of quite the opposite...

I used to drink very heavily as a teen. I quit 100% for over 20 years. I now drink very little to moderate. The most I will have is 3 drinks. Usually 1-2 at best. I think the problem is that people are defeatist, by saying you can never recover. If you believe you can, you can. If you don't believe, you are a defeatist & are psychologically bound to it.

13. Blackie

Blackie Well-Known Member

.. people are different ..

.. I would not call it defeatist to realize what some have said .. that it just is not possible to regulate for them .. I would call it success in living a better life for those of us who know .. we know because we tried all that .. and it did not end well each time ..

.. now I hate AA or NA meetings .. I don't want to hear about others drinking etc. .. does it work for some, sure ..

.. I talk to a councilor every so often and that works for me .. yeah I have had a few episodes over the years .. but I know for a fact what happens to me .. YMMV ..

.. there is no blanket treatment for all .. and I also don't like the terms recovering or recovered .. or being placed in some sort defective category forever ..

14. Quasar-Kid

Quasar-Kid Well-Known Member

I totally believe you
    But most of us folks who have completely quit - we've done our fare share of "experimentation" and personal testing
    I've absolutely tried (and failed spectacularly) at moderate drinking
    and most folks who quit entirely have given it a hell of a shot
    My life is better without it, no more testing required

But: You sir are a rare exception - and congratulations sincerely

15. Frodebro

What I was taught (in rehab) is that there is a difference between heavy drinkers and alcoholics, mainly being that heavy drinkers have the ability to stop. Alcoholics don't. My friends and I all drank heavily when we were younger, but the warning signs were already there for me if I knew what to look for. We would drink all day, and at some point most of them would decide that it was time to call it a night and crash. Not me-I would keep going until the beer was gone.

scat7s and TheSunShinesThrough like this.
  16. Dogs of Doom

& I think you guys are making the right decision, based on your experience. It's best for you to say no to 1, than get back into it... :yesway:...

props for your successes & to many more!

TheSunShinesThrough and Frodebro like this.
  17. Dogs of Doom

I was a wasteland... I would drink 151 Bacardi, chase it down w/ the regular stuff. I wouldn't get drunk, until I was throwing up, then I'd need another drink. I have many periods of life that I do not remember, but have scars/injuries to prove that they happened...

I'm not trying to pick on you. I applaud anyone who can take control of their life, that was once controlled by addiction. It's just, the world of psych & counseling changed at some point, where they became defeatist & unfortunately, instilled that into most of the recovery world. You see those commercials where someone says: "I've been sober 78 years, but I'm still an alcoholic." That's only because the person/people they entrusted w/ their recovery forces them to think that way.

I believe in overcoming & having victory over addiction. Self empowerment comes to mind. The mind is a powerful thing. Once a seed of doubt is in place, it restricts you in ways unimaginable. Believe you have won the war - you are victorious over this - but, live cautiously, as if you can become enticed back. I'm fortunate enough to remember all the time throwing up in the toilet, so drunk, that I missed & barfed all over the floor & had an ugly mess to clean up the next day. Remember the hangover... The "good ol' days" aren't always what we want to remember them, but a realist outlook of the side effects are sobering...

delstele and TheSunShinesThrough like this.
  18. Frodebro

The whole thing is fascinating to me. Why one person can drink like crazy for years and walk away from it, and another one can't. I think that it's a combination of body chemistry and personality type, kind of a perfect storm of factors...

TheSunShinesThrough likes this.
  19. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Well-Known Member

I quit 16 years ago,did not want to be bleary and huge gutted by 50. No drugs , I assumed it was supposed to be experimentation;not a lifestyle. The problem with drugs and drink ;comes stasis. Do you really enjoy your "pals" tired stories? I like being FREE! No DUI's or drug arrests in my future. Pssssttt, let me tell you a secret......

being straight gets you HIGH,,,,,,nothing blocking your chakras. I'm an ex-welder,,,,,,,,,,somehow I've become a yogi? Yup,,,,,,,,I'm 'tripping' as I type this...............Plus it costs no $!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AS5Gx2Fhvk[/ame]

20. Fiat Lux

Fiat Lux Well-Known Member

As soon as I read that alcohol could be addictive and ruin your health, I gave up reading.

:cheers: