Recommend locking tuners for a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Macro, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Macro

Macro Well-Known Member

The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
    I have a studio from a few years ago....love everything about the guitar EXCEPT the cheap Grover tuners. Thing hasnt stayed in tune effectively since the day i bought it. I want to replace them with quality locking tuners...want something that will fit in the stock routes...not really interested in modifying the headstock.

Ideas?

2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I put some Gotoh auto-locking tuners on my Studio.

Black ones to match the finish. Got them from a member here...

3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

I put Sperzels on one of my guitars once, but after further research I wish I'd tried the Schallers instead. I really didn't like the sperzels all that much, I had strings break at the peg and I don't normally break strings...ever! :mad:

4. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . VIP Member

What have I owned, maybe 10 or 12 Les Pauls by now? I currently own 3 Les Pauls and a Hummingbird acoustic, all with stock tuners. I've never had a problem keeping a Les Paul in tune with the stock tuners.

5. Macro

Macro Well-Known Member

wish that were my reality...once the guitar is in tune, it does ok while im playing...but when i put it back down for any length of time all the strings go a little flat, and specifically, the tuner on the G string is flakey...also dont like how sensitive the tuners are....ratio is such that a hairs touch send the string too sharp or too flat. id love something that was better quality, more stable, and a ratio that lends to more fine tuning

6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

Oops, didn't read the question good enough, I just went with the locking tuners part. If you're LP isn't staying in tune it's probably about 99.9% chance it's your nut...not the tuners. just for ****s and grins, put some graphite in the slots and see if it doesn't help. That'll prove it one way or the other.

7. jensvonbustenskjol

jensvonbustenskjol Active Member

I would upgrade to grover locking tuners. Then you don't need modifications

8. Oldpunk

Oldpunk Well-Known Member

It's my belief that locking tuners are tone zappers. There's just a few millimeters of string contact with them as opposed to standard tuners that have a few centimeters. More wraps, a larger surface string contact area, equals more vibration displaced down the pegs to the headstock.

That being said although I'm not a fan, as a tech I would recommend schallers or grovers for a little less dough.

9. LedZeppelinFan

LedZeppelinFan New Member

Grover's Locking Rotomatics, unless you use strings with a low E of .54 or higher... I have a guitar with a set of them, and I rarely have to tune. They are easy to install, don't cost much, don't look particularly out of place on a Les Paul, and make life easier for everyone.

10. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Less vibration transferred means livelier string vibration and a broader frequency range for the pups (ie less damping). Just saying.

11. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I agree tuning issues are not likely the tuners, the nut is much more likely the issue. Some good lube should help but it may need some adjustment. That said, I do like good quality locking tuners.

You can put as many wraps as you want on a locking tuner, I generally go for 1 good wrap. Sperzels are probably my favorite. I have noticed a tone difference from changing from sheet metal tuners to cast locking ones. The cast tuners sound more solid and fat, the vintage style sounded a little thinner. I was actually a bit surprised to hear a tone difference but think about how flimsy those sheet metal tuners with plastic buttons are - it kinda makes sense. I suspect it is more about the mass and solid connection to headstock than the locking part but that's speculation, it was a very noticeable difference when I changed them on my LP Special:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Macro

Macro Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the feedback....I think I'll change the strings first, put some graphite on the nut, and make sure the tuning machines are all snug and lubed. Will give that a test drive for a few weeks and issue a verdict.

I still like the idea of a lower ratio, but for now, I'd be happy with some stability and smooth tuning.