Rattling power tube

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by StingRay85, Aug 10, 2020.

1. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Maybe a weird question, but what should I do with a rattling power tube? I have an amp packed with 6 RFT EL34s, and one of these tubes always rattles when I'm playing through the amp (I mostly play bass). The rattling is not amplified so it's not microphonic I guess. When I play on one of my other amps, I sometimes also hear it rattle. For that reason I installed 6 spring retainers, but unfortunately the rattling is still there. Only thing left to do is throw it out?

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is not the speakers

3. StingRay85

The vibrations caused by the speakers are rattling the glass or interiors of the the tube. When I take it out and shake the tube, it rattles a lot harder than any other tube I tried this with. The spring retainer doesnt stop it

4. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

I have a couple tubes that do a similar thing, they was in a combo amp. Certain notes would make them rattle but on mine the sound was amplified and came out the speaker. I thought something was wrong with the amp till I changed them and was very happy there was nothing wrong with the amp.

Not sure you can do anything about it. Mine was caused by the speaker vibrating them so I installed them in a head that doesn't sit on a cab. seemed to cure it. If I played bass I would think it would have been worse.

5. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

A spring retainer only holds the tube in. Replace the rattling tube.

6. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

I have the same thing at moment with a Mullard and I'm not throwing it out, it's not going to stop rattling, but it's a great sounding valve.
    Basically don't sit the amp on the cab, put a high temp O ring under the spring retainer to decouple the metal to glass contact.

7. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Thought I had a tube rattling, turns out it was the sconce on the wall in the next room. Took me quite a while to figure that out.
    Good luck with your rattle issue.

8. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

It seems from the description that you are not playing loud enough.

The father of loud is not impressed.

Dogs of Doom and StingRay85 like this.
  9. StingRay85

Just filled up another amp with 6 Xf3 mullards and goddammit again a rattling tube. Replacing is really the only option, and saving them for other projects. I already have enough hearing troubles crancking it louder is no more option. Hyperacusis ain't no joke probably why I spent more time building amps than playing them

10. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The low frequencies of a base guitar pulls a lot of amps in the power tubes . Turn down the base on the amp . You might get some Russian military spec power tubes Might help

11. StingRay85

Luckily I still have quite a bit of blackburns laying around. I'll replace with one that doesn't rattle.